2022 PF Jasen Green -> Creighton

Sounds like he is N for sure--but why is he waiting to commit?

Here's a guess: perhaps it's a cooperative effort to keep a scholarship open for recruiting other players:

--the expectation is that a scholarship or two will open at the end of the coming season; but

--if he commits now, everyone will wonder how the coaches can continue to recruit?  

Any other speculations?

19 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Sounds like he is N for sure--but why is he waiting to commit?

Here's a guess: perhaps it's a cooperative effort to keep a scholarship open for recruiting other players:

--the expectation is that a scholarship or two will open at the end of the coming season; but

--if he commits now, everyone will wonder how the coaches can continue to recruit?  

Any other speculations?

Washut says Nebraska would accept a commitment from Green right now. 

My speculation is that he’s not N for sure. His recruitment is just starting to take off, and he seems pretty interested in some PAC-12 schools. 

World-Herald had a profile of Green today, talking about his visit to NU.

https://omaha.com/sports/high-school/recruiting/millard-norths-jasen-green-is-stepping-into-recruiting-spotlight/article_4c368da0-ce34-11eb-b99a-173837b28503.html

He had a great visit, but he's just starting to hear from some other schools and wants to see what else is out there. Can't blame a player coming off the covid shutdown for that line of thinking.

He's a great student, so the fact he heard from Cal in the past week or two has to be a big deal. For a player with a focus on academics, Cal would be a tough school to turn down.

As a side note, one of the recruiting guys was on the radio this week, saying NU wouldn't hold a scholarship open waiting for Green to make a decision. If NU receives a couple of other 2022 commits, Green's scholarship offer may no longer be valid.

39 minutes ago, throwback said:

As a side note, one of the recruiting guys was on the radio this week, saying NU wouldn't hold a scholarship open waiting for Green to make a decision. If NU receives a couple of other 2022 commits, Green's scholarship offer may no longer be valid.

That seems pretty fair to me.  Green is a talented, smart, local kid and worthy of being a priority.  But not a big enough priority to hold a schollie for indefinitely.  It could be a situation where he is better off going to a more elite academic school and we are better off adding a higher end talent.  And perhaps our paths would cross again in the transfer portal.

Edited by aphilso1

• 3 weeks later...

Don’t know how to read this quote.  It reads as if we’re one of the only strong suitors at the moment but we’re not a “leader” in the recruitment?  Maybe I’m reading too much into it.

“I don’t really have any leaders officially, but Nebraska has been recruiting me for the longest time,” Green said. “I like the coaches. I’ve actually been to coach [Fred] Hoiberg’s house for breakfast with him and his family during my visit.”

I'd read that as - "I like Nebraska, but I want to see what else is out there for me & I'm open to any other offers."

Can't blame him, especially coming off Covid and especially when he's having a big summer. But if he waits too long, NU may have filled his spot.

Gotta give him credit, though. That quote shows he's clearly smart enough to realize there's only one school in the state worth considering. Sorry, Mavs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...