2021 PG Chucky Hepburn -> Wisconsin

Disappointing.

However, and I know everyone always says this when we miss out on someone, but I think we are in with better fits. He’s almost completely tapped out physically and athletically. But I’m sure he’ll be a pain in our ass at Wisconsin. 

Edited by basketballjones

8 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Disappointing.

However, and I know everyone always says this when we miss out on someone, but I think we are in with better fits. He’s almost completely tapped out physically and athletically. But I’m sure he’ll be a pain in our ass at Wisconsin. 

We desperately need a tough, playmaking PG. We haven’t had this type of kid. And Wisconsin thrives with kids like this. Disappointing that he’s not coming to Lincoln

27 minutes ago, Jugular said:

We desperately need a tough, playmaking PG. We haven’t had this type of kid. And Wisconsin thrives with kids like this. Disappointing that he’s not coming to Lincoln

Glynn Watson was a tough playmaking point guard—a Rivals four-star (Hepburn is a three-star).

Cam Mack, a sophomore this year, appears to be a tough playmaking point guard—at least, he Is recognized as one of of last year’s top players in all junior colleges—following a single season of play.

Edited by Swan88

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

Glynn Watson was a tough playmaking point guard—a Rivals four-star

Glynn was a nightmare for the other PGs to play against and an absolute rock in taking care of the ball but he wasn't a guy who could take the ball to the hole and wasn't necessarily making his teammates better through his passing (you can blame some/much of that on our style of offense).  Not sure what Chucky has in the verbal leadership department one often looks for in a PG but Glynn unfortunately didn't have that.

While it stinks to lose a top in-state prospect, especially to a conference rival, things like this happen occasionally after a coaching change. Rebuilding that relationship means the new coaches are starting from scratch versus teams that have months and years of relationships in the bank. Just part of the fallout from making coaching changes. I'm confident Coach Hoiberg & Co will be able to overcome this loss.

On the other hand, if your coach had been in place for several years and had made recruiting Hepburn (and Mors for that matter) an extremely high priority, and still lost the top in-state prospect (and Mors) on the same weekend, then it should be setting off alarm bells and red warning lights everywhere. I would imagine the Monday blues are pretty heavy in a certain basketball coach's office today.

Congratulations to Chucky. I wish him well. I'll gladly cheer him on except for the one or two (sometimes maybe three) times per year they play Nebraska.

No hard feelings. None at all.  I don't feel dissed the way Akoy Agau left us hanging.  Happy for Chucky and good luck in all your future endeavors.

6 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Glynn Watson was a tough playmaking point guard—a Rivals four-star (Hepburn is a three-star).

Cam Mack, a sophomore this year, appears to be a tough playmaking point guard—at least, he Is recognized as one of of last year’s top players in all junior colleges—following a single season of play.

I loved Glynn but I would not put him in that category. He was not good at driving and dishing. And he struggled a lot from a confidence standpoint. He was tough from a physical beating standpoint though. 

15 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Disappointing.

Just wanted to clarify, as I realize this post is coming off a bit bitter and dick-ish. I still think that Chucky is a phenomenal player and will be a pain in our ass (as I mentioned before). When I say he is athletically and physically tapped out, that is still tapping out at a very good athlete and good body for the Big 10. But he kind of reminds me of Mike Gessell in that regard (who was also a great player). 

I just think we are in on players with more potential that are equally as competitive as Chucky right now. Just my opinion. 

• 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Except that he had a really good relationship with Miles. Not saying moving on wasn’t the right choice, but instate recruiting may have gone very differently this year if he were still here. 

Agreed idk if miles gets him and while I have some issues w what hoiberg has done with the roster these first two seasons I don’t fault him for not getting Hepburn or mors(think he was always going to Wisconsin) with the timing of everything it just wasn’t meant to be. Really hope we are able to snag jasem green in next years class though

On 9/30/2019 at 2:00 PM, basketballjones said:

Just wanted to clarify, as I realize this post is coming off a bit bitter and dick-ish. I still think that Chucky is a phenomenal player and will be a pain in our ass (as I mentioned before). When I say he is athletically and physically tapped out, that is still tapping out at a very good athlete and good body for the Big 10. But he kind of reminds me of Mike Gessell in that regard (who was also a great player). 

I just think we are in on players with more potential that are equally as competitive as Chucky right now. Just my opinion. 

I stand by everything I said here, except for the fact that we literally got no one at PG I wanted hahahahaha

• 7 months later...