18-19 depth

This is where a team like Nebraska can compete with the talent regularly accumulated at schools such as Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana and Maryland — age.

Here's where we'll be on opening night 2018:

1. Copeland 23
  2. Palmer 22
  3. Jordy 22
  4. Watson 21 (turns 22 during the final week of the regular season)
  5. Roby 20 (turns 21 in early February)
  6. Allen 20
  7. Nana 20
  8. Thor 20

Add a seasoned center, and that's a veteran, talented rotation. Translation: There's some hair on them there legs.

Edited by jayschool

Just now, jayschool said:

This is where a team like Nebraska can compete with the talent regularly accumulated at schools such as Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana and Maryland — age.

Here's where we'll be on opening night 2018:

1. Copeland 23
  2. Palmer 22
  3. Jordy 22
  4. Watson 21 (turns 22 during the final week of the regular season)
  5. Roby 20 (turns 21 in early February)
  6. Allen 20
  7. Nana 20

Add a seasoned center, and that's a veteran, talented rotation.

One more thing about that "seasoned center":  Did you know he was the Defensive Player of the Year in the Ohio Valley Conference this last season?

And where, exactly, have we struggled on defense over the last several years?

Three-point defense?  Yep, there too.  But where have we really made the opposing team's Average Joe look like an All-American?  

That's right.  The post.

Might be nice to have a Defensive POTY join our team.  Especially a guy who plays center.  Just sayin.

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

One more thing about that "seasoned center":  Did you know he was the Defensive Player of the Year in the Ohio Valley Conference this last season?

And where, exactly, have we struggled on defense over the last several years?

Three-point defense?  Yep, there too.  But where have we really made the opposing team's Average Joe look like an All-American?  

That's right.  The post.

Might be nice to have a Defensive POTY join our team.  Especially a guy who plays center.  Just sayin.

Should we call Tim and Armon and tell them about Christian?

Speaking of Bruno Fernando, wouldn't it be nice to have an athletic, 6'9", 245# center to hold down the lane next year when we face Maryland in conference?

Christian would be like "Come at me, bro."

And, see, that's the thing.  Some guys transfer for better playing time.  Some guys transfer for a better situation or a better opportunity to have an impact.  We're uniquely positioned this year to add a guy who wants to join a team that has a shot at winning some big games.

That makes us a relatively more attractive target for someone like this.

39 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Now that the Kool-Aide pitcher is full, I'll come right out and say it. This is the year we win the B1G...

The goal bar should be firmly placed between winning 25+ games, winning the big ten, and being a top 5 NCAA tourney seat. We have talent. We have vets. And we have a new assistant w a knack for improving shooting. Things are on the up n up. 

I wouldn't put a number on it or even a place in the standings. The Big Ten should be significantly better than it was last year. NU could finish with 22 wins, 13 in conference, finish 6th in the conference and end up with a 6 seed in the dance. That'd be a pretty successful season.

1 hour ago, jayschool said:

First, I have no idea whether Miles is pursuing the best graduate transfer in the market at a position of need for Nebraska. But I imagine that since Mekowulu's announcement on Saturday, he's at least asked around.

Second, Christian has improved his FT% from 59 percent to 64 to 75 percent in his three years at TSU. That allows you to potentially tell Christian and Jordy: "There's 40 minutes out there at the 5 spot for you. Let's see who gets 25 and who gets 15, or if you'll split those minutes more evenly." There's no need to sub out at the end of the game unless you simply want a shorter lineup.

As already noted, Mekowulu (or a player like him) allows Roby (4), Copeland (3) and Palmer (2) to move down a slot in the starting lineup and then to mix and match the 3 and 4 spots among those three players after you start substituting. We aren't especially deep in the front court right now, and with Isaiah not having to match up with bigs on a regular basis, he might not foul as much and be available to play up to 30 minutes per game in tight games.

It also allow you to have more length and athleticism in the backcourt when it's needed. If Thomas Allen emerges as a legitimate Big Ten player this year, then you can sub him in at both the 1 and 2, even if Amir Harris doesn't emerge as a legitimate point, even if Nana or Thor don't emerge as rotation players.

Bottom line — we really have only six rotation players we can be confident in at this point, and that's not a recipe for success in the Big Ten. A player like Mekowulu puts us at 7, and really requires only one of Harris, Davis, Nana and Thor to develop into a top-flight player for this year to get us to an 8-player rotation. We're not looking to just be better than Nebraska has been. We're looking to be a legit top 25 team and a contender for a Big Ten title this year. A player like Mekolulu gives us real chance to do that.

I personally think Amir Harris is going to have a bigger impact on this team than any other after the Top 6.  What he give the team is a better chance to get our best shooter out on the floor in Allen.

On offense he can control the ball and play the 1, and Thomas Allen can play the 2.  Then on Defense they reverse roles.

Roby - 30

Copeland - 30

Watson - 32

Palmer - 32

^^^ They are all going to get 24-32 minutes a game.

Then you have the following 5 that are going to get minutes, and this is how much I think they will get

Allen - 20

Jordy - 20

Harris - 16

Nana - 12

Thor - 8

2 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Allen - 20

Jordy - 20

Harris - 16

Nana - 12

Thor - 8

I don't think we'll go 10 deep very often, especially once we get to conference play. Miles likes that 8 man rotation. I think you'll see 1 of those last 3 get the lion share of that 8th slot. Maybe it'll vary from game to game based on match ups, but I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I don't think we'll go 10 deep very often, especially once we get to conference play. Miles likes that 8 man rotation. I think you'll see 1 of those last 3 get the lion share of that 8th slot. Maybe it'll vary from game to game based on match ups, but I doubt it.

I know I only listed 9

2 minutes ago, big red22 said:

I know I only listed 9

Ah, I thought I saw 5 on that top list. My bad. Either way, I don't think you'll see all three in the rotation regularly unless there are injuries along the way, which are certainly possibilities and something were actually pretty fortunate with last year.

8 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Ah, I thought I saw 5 on that top list. My bad. Either way, I don't think you'll see all three in the rotation regularly unless there are injuries along the way, which are certainly possibilities and something were actually pretty fortunate with last year.

So you think we are only going to go 7 deep?  With Thor, Harris and Nana gaining those 7th man minutes later in the year?

Edited by big red22

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

You can try.  I tried letting everyone know about Bruno Fernando before his name was on anyone's radar. That went nowhere.  Now he's a projected lottery pick for next year.

Yeah, and you told everyone about Sheldon Jeter.  Multiple times.   People should listen to Norm.  I just don't get why they don't.  

33 minutes ago, big red22 said:

So you think we are only going to go 7 deep?  With Thor, Harris and Nana gaining those 7th man minutes later in the year?

On senior night against Penn State, 4 guys played 30 minutes or more, Roby played 28, Gill had 23, Jordy had 12 minutes, and no one else played more than 5.

Edited by Norm Peterson

38 minutes ago, big red22 said:

It's possible, but I think we go 8 in a perfect world situation. But if 2 of the last 3 on your list play, that puts it at 8.

I hope that we are in a position that no player will play more than 28 minutes per game prior to the start of conference play.  I want see fresh bodies throughout the entire year, especially sine I want them to play an extra six to ten games after the regular season ends.

Watson, Copeland, Roby, and Palmer are locks to start. Each probably averaging 28-32 minutes over the course of the season. Maybe more depending on how the underclassmen develop.

That leaves 80 extra minutes left up for grabs. My guess is Jordy and Thomas Allen combine for 45 of those. Now you have 35 left over for Thor, Nana, Amir, Tanner, Karrington Davis, and Brady Heiman to duke it out over.

Should be some good practices.