Nebraska will host Seton Hall in the 2018 Gavitt Games

8 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Could be Quadrant 3, they lost a lot off their tourney team. Would have been better to go on the road against them. ☹️

Yes it would have been nice for it to be a road game from an analytics perspective, but Seton Hall is still 25th in the pre-season Bart Torvik rankings. Still a really solid opponent.

10 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Could be Quadrant 3, they lost a lot off their tourney team. Would have been better to go on the road against them. ☹️

bartovik.com has us rated pretty high going into next season. He has Seton Hall rated higher

http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Seton+Hall&year=2019

image.png

They do lose three starters but return sharpshooting Myles Powell and highly regarded sophomore to be Myles Cale.  In addition to a pair of 4 star freshman (4 frosh total) they also will have a pair of transfers in Syracuse's Taurean Thompson and Sacred Heart's Quincy McKnight. Thompson started the second half of his freshman year at Syracuse and at times was the focal point of the offense. McKnight is one of those guys who is capable of taking a Petteway-esque number of shots in an offense.

I suspect we play this game towards the beginning of the season. This is potentially a disadvantage to us because we're a lot better team when we have game tape we can break down on a team.  We're also a notoriously slow starting team.  On the plus side we should have a team, knock on wood, that is familiar enough with each other that we might actually start the season playing well. Also, it's quite possible that all those new pieces for Seton Hall will take a while to come together.

I think we're looking at a team that should be pretty good but might not be at the beginning of the season. That's not a bad deal to grab a win that could benefit us and the conference early on.

17 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I suspect we play this game towards the beginning of the season. This is potentially a disadvantage to us because we're a lot better team when we have game tape we can break down on a team.

Hopefully this isn't a St. John's 2.0 type of game... we were really kicking ourselves about that bad loss all season. And then kicked ourselves even more when they started going on a tear at the end of the season.

1 minute ago, HuskerFever said:

Hopefully this isn't a St. John's 2.0 type of game... we were really kicking ourselves about that bad loss all season. And then kicked ourselves even more when they started going on a tear at the end of the season.

The biggest difference is that this will be a home game for us. Seton Hall's name carries some swag so we should give them a good effort on the court and in the stands.

40 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

bartovik.com has us rated pretty high going into next season. He has Seton Hall rated higher

image.png

They do lose three starters but return sharpshooting Myles Powell and highly regarded sophomore to be Myles Cale.  In addition to a pair of 4 star freshman (4 frosh total) they also will have a pair of transfers in Syracuse's Taurean Thompson and Sacred Heart's Quincy McKnight. Thompson started the second half of his freshman year at Syracuse and at times was the focal point of the offense. McKnight is one of those guys who is capable of taking a Petteway-esque number of shots in an offense.

I suspect we play this game towards the beginning of the season. This is potentially a disadvantage to us because we're a lot better team when we have game tape we can break down on a team.  We're also a notoriously slow starting team.  On the plus side we should have a team, knock on wood, that is familiar enough with each other that we might actually start the season playing well. Also, it's quite possible that all those new pieces for Seton Hall will take a while to come together.

I think we're looking at a team that should be pretty good but might not be at the beginning of the season. That's not a bad deal to grab a win that could benefit us and the conference early on.

My biggest takeaway from all this is that Seton Hall appears to be among the leaders in the Big East in the crucial "number of guys named 'Myles' on their team" category.

22 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I hope the teams mind set would be a little different this year.  For some of them last year, it was their first time under BIG lights in a Huskers uniform.  This year, it shouldn't be anyones "first" time.  I hope the team takes on a shark mentality this year.  When there is blood in the water, we need to go eat.

39 minutes ago, 49r said:

My biggest takeaway from all this is that Seton Hall appears to be among the leaders in the Big East in the crucial "number of guys named 'Myles' on their team" category.

You may Dread looking at Penn St's roster this year  ?

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

image.png

Good points, but I look at this slightly differently.  Slightly.  I've always attributed our slow starts to the process of trying to meld a bunch of newcomers into the rotation. It just takes a bit for guys to figure each other out and know where their opportunities are going to be coming from and what the other guys are going to be doing.

We don't face that next year (assuming things hold the way they're looking right now.)  We bring back a veteran team with guys who've already gotten used to each other and I suspect we won't have the kind of team learning curve we've seen in past years.

So, the big point to take away from this is that it could present an opportunity almost the opposite of St. John's from last year.  This Seton Hall team could get a ton better as the year goes on.  We'll face them at a time when we have a probable advantage of being in sync and they'll be just getting used to each other.  Whereas St. John's beat us and then became somewhat of a bad loss as they floundered for much of the rest of the season, we have a chance to get an early win here against a team that might look a lot stronger as the season progresses.

27 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Good game to have and a good game to win.  I will worry about rpi, quadrant stuff and the like as the season matures.

And don't forget to root for the Big Ten to win these challenges! Had our conference taken care of business last season, we would be focusing more on tournament seeds rather than RPIs.

4 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

image.png

That's higher than they finished this year in Kenpom, so I'm skeptical. Mostly, though, they're going to really miss Angel Delgado, who won the Jabbar Award as the nation's best center and who gave Kansas fits. They also lose two senior guards who led the team in scoring and one of whom played point. So they lost their best player, their point guard and top two scorers. Maybe they'll be better this year, but on paper it seems like they'll drop off. Games aren't won on paper, but they're not won on Bart Torvik's algorithms either. ?

27 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

That's higher than they finished this year in Kenpom, so I'm skeptical. Mostly, though, they're going to really miss Angel Delgado, who won the Jabbar Award as the nation's best center and who gave Kansas fits. They also lose two senior guards who led the team in scoring and one of whom played point. So they lost their best player, their point guard and top two scorers. Maybe they'll be better this year, but on paper it seems like they'll drop off. Games aren't won on paper, but they're not won on Bart Torvik's algorithms either. ?

6 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

image.png

Boy they got Iowa St. making a big jump...  Must be because Jacobson will be eligible!!?

Edited by ConkintheCorner