Nebraska will host Seton Hall in the 2018 Gavitt Games

13 minutes ago, Blackshirt83 said:

Does it piss anyone else off that for like the 4th year in row MSU isn't involved in this? 

Expecially considering hat last year the whole Big Ten is bad nonsense really started picking up steam partly due to these games?

Doesn't piss me off per say knowing that MSU has the Champions Classic event the same week as the Gavitt Games every single year and always has a pretty strong non con slate as is. 

3 hours ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Doesn't piss me off per say knowing that MSU has the Champions Classic event the same week as the Gavitt Games every single year and always has a pretty strong non con slate as is. 

I have read a lot that this is one of the main reasons why they don’t get a Gravitt Game.

12 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Low-key passive-aggressive move on Izzo's part.

They've been rotating with playing Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky in that tournament for longer than the new Big East has been around. How is getting assigned a rando Big East team sometimes a better situation for them?

On 5/15/2018 at 8:48 AM, hhcdimes said:

bartovik.com has us rated pretty high going into next season. He has Seton Hall rated higher

http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Seton+Hall&year=2019

image.png

They do lose three starters but return sharpshooting Myles Powell and highly regarded sophomore to be Myles Cale.  In addition to a pair of 4 star freshman (4 frosh total) they also will have a pair of transfers in Syracuse's Taurean Thompson and Sacred Heart's Quincy McKnight. Thompson started the second half of his freshman year at Syracuse and at times was the focal point of the offense. McKnight is one of those guys who is capable of taking a Petteway-esque number of shots in an offense.

I suspect we play this game towards the beginning of the season. This is potentially a disadvantage to us because we're a lot better team when we have game tape we can break down on a team.  We're also a notoriously slow starting team.  On the plus side we should have a team, knock on wood, that is familiar enough with each other that we might actually start the season playing well. Also, it's quite possible that all those new pieces for Seton Hall will take a while to come together.

I think we're looking at a team that should be pretty good but might not be at the beginning of the season. That's not a bad deal to grab a win that could benefit us and the conference early on.

Powell is really good. Cale was a 4-star recruit but apparently can't shoot and wasn't all that productive as a freshman; they need him to make a big leap. As for their recruiting class, ESPN has those two rated as generic 4-stars (ESPN is not good) but Rivals and 247 have both of them as 3-star guys. McKnight is a guy who got buckets inefficiently against mostly low-to-mid-major competition; hard to know what you're going to get out of that guy jumping up to a higher level of competition (see guys like Jaaron Simmons and Mark Alstork). Thompson should be good for them. 

I'm just not sold on Seton Hall being good next year. Nebraska should win the game, and if Seton Hall does end up putting it together I'd expect them to be better late than early. 

• 2 weeks later...