Nebraska Football 2018-2019

9 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

You may have made history, Frost, with no Nebraska football team EVER going 0-6...but I couldn't be more proud of you. I'd take your team over the previous squad's any day.

That’s not saying much unfortunatly. And Frost is getting paid nearly double. I don’t think anyone thought this wasn’t going to be a rebuild but man.....we have a long ways to go starting from the head man down. 

1 minute ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

That’s not saying much unfortunatly. And Frost is getting paid nearly double. I don’t think anyone thought this wasn’t going to be a rebuild but man.....we have a long ways to go starting from the head man down. 

Agreed. I'm highly suspicious about what has been going on under Riley's watch, leading to a much bigger mountain to climb than we thought.

And it's also easier to focus on the negatives with Frost when you're winless. But if we can take care of penalties and step it up on the offensive line and defense, we're closer to a 3-3 team. This year is a wash for me. Use these last couple months as a teaching moment and come back at it next season.

12 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Agreed. I'm highly suspicious about what has been going on under Riley's watch, leading to a much bigger mountain to climb than we thought.

And it's also easier to focus on the negatives with Frost when you're winless. But if we can take care of penalties and step it up on the offensive line and defense, we're closer to a 3-3 team. This year is a wash for me. Use these last couple months as a teaching moment and come back at it next season.

Unfortunatly this is going to make it that much harder to turn this thing around if Frost is even the guy. Recruiting is going to be tougher. Tougher to get players to buy in. All the fluff pieces this last offseason and positive press the program received from January to August will be flipped. This season can’t end soon enough. 

15 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Unfortunatly this is going to make it that much harder to turn this thing around if Frost is even the guy. Recruiting is going to be tougher. Tougher to get players to buy in. All the fluff pieces this last offseason and positive press the program received from January to August will be flipped. This season can’t end soon enough. 

Well...this. I'm fine with Frost burning the building down and rebuilding the right way rather than just putting a bandaid on it to protect your job. And that's why I feel the 7 year contract was a solid decision.

But you're right. That only matters as long as we can get a pipeline of talent to rebuild.

3 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Well...this. I'm fine with Frost burning the building down and rebuilding the right way rather than just putting a bandaid on it to protect your job. And that's why I feel the 7 year contract was a solid decision.

But you're right. That only matters as long as we can get a pipeline of talent to rebuild.

That's not fair to Ozigbo, Morgan, Gifford, Barry, or any other seniors that chose to stay with this team. Our chance of a bowl game is done, now.   Frost has a lot of work to do for me to start thinking he is the guy for the job.  Our ST are a joke.  Our DL is average, our DB are terrible.  We commit countless penalties per game.  We turn the ball over too many times.  One game (against Colorado) we're aggressive down the stretch, the next time (against NW) we are conservative, with much better field position.

I just don't think this offense works.  The only team that really uses it is Ohio State, and they load their defenses up with 4 and 5 star players.  It wears out your defense like today.  The defense was tired.  Maybe Frost can show me otherwise, but I was worried about it when he got hired.  

If you look at Bo's time here.  When we had the smash-mouth, huddle type of offense, we had one of the best defenses in the country.  It really started slipping when we moved to the up-tempo offense.

Maybe it's just me being frustrated with this loss, and I will turn my outlook in the next few days.  It probably would be best for me to just lay low right now and sulk in this terrible defeat.

4 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Most everyone wanted Frost as the coach. Most everyone thought that Frost was going to win 8-9 games this year. Now you guys don't know if he is the right guy and being over paid. So you guys got what you wanted now live it.

This team has 7 win talent.  That is what makes this season so frustrating.  Right now, we have to hope to go 5-1 to build some momentum for next year.  If we go 2 - 10, I don't know if we can recover in Frost's 7 year contract time.

This loss was inexcusable.  This is coaching, coaching, coaching.   It is blind faith right now.  One game we are snapping the ball with 20 on the play clock, with 4:49 left against Colorado.  Now, today we have the ball at their 45 with 2 minutes to go and we are conservative.  Why not a screen pass?  A read option, something?

Northwestern can NOT run the ball, and yet their guys are constantly running by themselves wide open.  Especially, the WR who they go to EVERY time on 3rd and 4th down.  We have one of the best WR in the Big 10, and he gets blanketed all game.  

The most annoying part is Frost takes ZERO blame after games.  After the Purdue game, it was the players fault for dancing and penalties. Today, in response to what happened on the 99 yard td drive, "I don't call the defense"  IT'S YOUR TEAM!!  Figure it out.  We are averaging 98 YARDS PER GAME in PENALTIES!!  That is a full football field.

3 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

OMG FIRE THE COACH!!!

(Isn't that how this game is played?)

What gets the most annoying, is the holding penalties.  There was one play where the NT for Nebraska busts through 2 guys.  The 2 NW OL grab an arm each!!!  How is that not holding.  There were holding calls against Nebraska in the Purdue game that were legit blocks, that were getting called.  I understand you could call holding every play, but there's some blatant holds by the other team that never get called.

I waited a day to post but thought I would use this as a bit of therapy.

With about five minutes to play, I was sort of getting emotional as I thought we were right on the cusp of getting this losing monkey off of our back.  But...

Here is the deal.  I thought we played well the majority of the game.  But the mental mistakes and penalties are simply difficult to overcome.  It comes down to learning how to win again.  Seeing the same mistakes reoccur is problematic.  Seeing seniors having brain farts is hard to take.  I can understand when a freshman or a player with inexperience makes mental errors, but for seniors, man, that is tough.

I keep seeing enough good things to know that our future is bright, but for this staff, the players (and me) wins can't come soon enough.

19 hours ago, brfrad said:

This team has 7 win talent.  That is what makes this season so frustrating.  Right now, we have to hope to go 5-1 to build some momentum for next year.  If we go 2 - 10, I don't know if we can recover in Frost's 7 year contract time.

This loss was inexcusable.  This is coaching, coaching, coaching.   It is blind faith right now.  One game we are snapping the ball with 20 on the play clock, with 4:49 left against Colorado.  Now, today we have the ball at their 45 with 2 minutes to go and we are conservative.  Why not a screen pass?  A read option, something?

Northwestern can NOT run the ball, and yet their guys are constantly running by themselves wide open.  Especially, the WR who they go to EVERY time on 3rd and 4th down.  We have one of the best WR in the Big 10, and he gets blanketed all game.  

The most annoying part is Frost takes ZERO blame after games.  After the Purdue game, it was the players fault for dancing and penalties. Today, in response to what happened on the 99 yard td drive, "I don't call the defense"  IT'S YOUR TEAM!!  Figure it out.  We are averaging 98 YARDS PER GAME in PENALTIES!!  That is a full football field.

No, we don't have 7 win talent against this schedule.  Our talent sucks.  Our fans don't want to admit how phony the recruiting schtick was with HHH.   Look at the defense, for Christ's sake.  There isn't a great player on it.  Not one.  Not one quality pass rusher.  Bad linebackers. Bad secondary.  So instead of your take, it is players, players, players.  And we have to get some.  This was rock bottom after the worst 3 years of coaching and recruiting in college football history.   So many of our fans are in denial of the extent of the problem.   We have to recruit our way out of this, and i think we will.   But it ain't a quick fix.  

21 minutes ago, HB said:

No, we don't have 7 win talent against this schedule.  Our talent sucks.  Our fans don't want to admit how phony the recruiting schtick was with HHH.   Look at the defense, for Christ's sake.  There isn't a great player on it.  Not one.  Not one quality pass rusher.  Bad linebackers. Bad secondary.  So instead of your take, it is players, players, players.  And we have to get some.  This was rock bottom after the worst 3 years of coaching and recruiting in college football history.   So many of our fans are in denial of the extent of the problem.   We have to recruit our way out of this, and i think we will.   But it ain't a quick fix.  

Worst coaching and recruiting in college football history? Cmon.  I don’t think anybody is going to say Riley was anything but a failure but the current staff is deserving of some blame for the worst start in program history. 

5 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Worst coaching and recruiting in college football history? Cmon.  I don’t think anybody is going to say Riley was anything but a failure but the current staff is deserving of some blame for the worst start in program history. 

Well, all I know is we win 9 or more 7 straight years and then we were left with this mess.  Everyone can analyze a few game decisions all they want, but the bottom line is this group took over a program with poor talent, no depth, a culture of no discipline and accountability, and a bunch of people are already all over the new coaches who created none of that.  They already recruited a great QB and are rolling up yards despite a bad oline.  Everyone living in the moment.  This was a complete start-over and everyone was in complete denial on how bad it was.  

Edited by HB

Frank Solich: Hired internally. 6 years at Nebraska. Had some success with Osborne's players, but embarrassed by Miami and lost national title hopes. Fired because the program was "slipping into mediocrity."

Bill Callahan: Outside hire who showed success in the NFL just recently having gone to the Super Bowl. 4 years at Nebraska. Brought in west coast offense, destroyed the walk-on program, and changed the entire culture of the program. Snapped the longest NCAA streak for most consecutive bowl appearances. Fired for going 0.551 in his four years at Nebraska.

Bo Pelini: Back to Nebraska roots. Already won a game as a interim head coach at Nebraska. Defensive-minded guy who just helped LSU win a national championship. 7 years at Nebraska. One of only three head coaches (along with Nick Saban and Chip Kelly) to get 9 or more wins for 6 consecutive years. Fired for being hot headed, the audio tapes of him badmouthing the fanbase, and just not "winning the games that matter."

Mike Riley: Unaffiliated with Nebraska. Mr. Nice Guy. Had some success in the CFL ranks along with the NFL. Surprise hire as he gone 29-33 in his final five years at Oregon State. 3 years at Nebraska. Fired for his lack of success on the field, shattering bad records that date back to the 1940s, and having the worst winning percentage at Nebraska since Bill Jennings.

Scott Frost: Going back to the home grown Nebraska boy to help bring back a culture of winning. Came off of (according to the official record of the NCAA...which is kind of hilarious, but I'll just go with it) National Championship campaign at UCF taking the team from 0-12 to 12-0 in two years. First year at Nebraska. Followed the coach who had the worst performance at Nebraska since before Bob Devaney, and is expected to make miracles happen in the first 2 months into the season. I'll admit, it's real bad. Real bad. But let's give the guy a little breathing room and a little time.

13 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Frank Solich: Hired internally. 6 years at Nebraska. Had some success with Osborne's players, but embarrassed by Miami and lost national title hopes. Fired because the program was "slipping into mediocrity."

Bill Callahan: Outside hire who showed success in the NFL just recently having gone to the Super Bowl. 4 years at Nebraska. Brought in west coast offense, destroyed the walk-on program, and changed the entire culture of the program. Snapped the longest NCAA streak for most consecutive bowl appearances. Fired for going 0.551 in his four years at Nebraska.

Bo Pelini: Back to Nebraska roots. Already won a game as a interim head coach at Nebraska. Defensive-minded guy who just helped LSU win a national championship. 7 years at Nebraska. One of only three head coaches (along with Nick Saban and Chip Kelly) to get 9 or more wins for 6 consecutive years. Fired for being hot headed, the audio tapes of him badmouthing the fanbase, and just not "winning the games that matter."

Mike Riley: Unaffiliated with Nebraska. Mr. Nice Guy. Had some success in the CFL ranks along with the NFL. Surprise hire as he gone 29-33 in his final five years at Oregon State. 3 years at Nebraska. Fired for his lack of success on the field, shattering bad records that date back to the 1940s, and having the worst winning percentage at Nebraska since Bill Jennings.

Scott Frost: Going back to the home grown Nebraska boy to help bring back a culture of winning. Came off of (according to the official record of the NCAA...which is kind of hilarious, but I'll just go with it) National Championship campaign at UCF taking the team from 0-12 to 12-0 in two years. First year at Nebraska. Followed the coach who had the worst performance at Nebraska since before Bob Devaney, and is expected to make miracles happen in the first 2 months into the season. I'll admit, it's real bad. Real bad. But let's give the guy a little breathing room and a little time.

"One of only three head coaches (along with Nick Saban and Chip Kelly) to get 9 or more wins for 6 consecutive years." -- Oof... Oof... Oof.  We let that walk and ended up with Mike Riley.

2 hours ago, HB said:

Well, all I know is we win 9 or more 7 straight years and then we were left with this mess.  Everyone can alanalyze a few game decisions all they want, but the bottom line is this group took over a program with poor talent, no depth, a culture of no discipline and accountability, and a bunch of people are already all over the new coaches who created none of that.  They already recruited a great QB and are rolling up yards despite a bad oline.  Everyone living in the moment.  This was a complete start-over and everyone was in complete denial on how bad it was.  

Yep, what HB said.

3 hours ago, HB said:

Well, all I know is we win 9 or more 7 straight years and then we were left with this mess.  Everyone can alanalyze a few game decisions all they want, but the bottom line is this group took over a program with poor talent, no depth, a culture of no discipline and accountability, and a bunch of people are already all over the new coaches who created none of that.  They already recruited a great QB and are rolling up yards despite a bad oline.  Everyone living in the moment.  This was a complete start-over and everyone was in complete denial on how bad it was.  

Unfortunatly the dwindling of talent started years ago and only continued with Riley. The development just wasn’t there. I think most of the fanbase realized this would be a rebuild. But I don’t think anybody imagined this. It’s just year 1 and years from now we may look at this as a building block but I think people wanted to see improvements this year. And id go as far to say Frost expected it at well since he said a number of times that the talent was better than 4-8.  Like at UCF I think we will see a pretty good jump forward in offense next year. The defense may take years if at all as Chinander is still a question mark.  

Six point favorites this weekend. Hopefully we win a game we are expected to win. 

33 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

The defense may take years if at all as Chinander is still a question mark.

This is the worrisome part. It's one thing to win some games in the AAC by getting into offensive shootouts against your opponents, but when you go into the Big Ten you can't win that way with a weak defense.