Nebraska Football 2018-2019

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I haven't read them all. I don't buy that Nebraska quit.

I have witnessed when NU quit. I didn't see it yesterday.

To be fair, it’s impossible to quit when you don’t even get off the bus. That team didn’t want to play on Saturday and it showed immediately. 

4 hours ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Back to back years of opening as underdogs against Purdue... Wooof

That last second, 1 point win against a Purdue team that coached itself out of a victory is Nebraska's only win in the last 10 games.  They followed up a 9-1 stretch with a 5-5 stretch and then the current 1-9 stretch.

7 hours ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Back to back years of opening as underdogs against Purdue... Wooof

The good news is that Purdue was our last win. If we can’t get it done this weekend we are probably talking about Frost going 0-6 to start off his tenure.  If we show up, and not start terrible like the last 3 games I think we can pull it off. 

2 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

That last second, 1 point win against a Purdue team that coached itself out of a victory is Nebraska's only win in the last 10 games.  They followed up a 9-1 stretch with a 5-5 stretch and then the current 1-9 stretch.

It is an amazing trend..... never thought I'd see the day that Nebraska is on a program-tying losing streak of 7 games, since I had the privilege of watching a ton of Osborne-coached squads growing up!!!

It seems only fitting that Oregon State is sharing some of the spotlight with us:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/bottom-25-college-football-rankings-nebraska-ucla-among-four-winless-teams-remaining/amp/

2. Nebraska 0-3

"Like death being a fan of a Bottom 25 team has stages. When Nebraska first appeared here, the fans were furious about it, calling me all sorts of names. When the Huskers lost to Troy, the anger subsided a bit, and instead, Nebraska fans focused on what was wrong with their team. Now, after a 56-10 loss to Michigan, I've had Nebraska fans tweeting me to tell me they want UTEP. I've seen it many times before. Purdue's up next. (10)"

6 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Oregon State is 4-32 against FBS opponents since Riley left.  The guy sure left some strong foundations.

Whoa. That's spectacular. KU-like. ?

(... and even current NU football-like, as much as it pains me to write that.)

Edited by AuroranHusker

And people are bitching if Frost was the right hire. All we heard for a year was hire Frost and everything would okay. But most of us knew that that wouldn't be the case. That it would take 2 to 3 yrs.

Oregon State is 4-32 against FBS opponents since Riley left.  The guy sure left some strong foundations.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There were some good things in the game yesterday, but man, we cannot get out of the way of ourselves.  Boe Wilson should be the full-time starter at right guard; no question.  A certain defensive back spent more time wolfing at the Purdue sideline then he did defending his assignment.  A good decision was made in sitting his happy a** on the sideline.  He needs to either conform, or leave.  

I am concerned with our recruiting just a bit.  I like Kade Warner, but for him to bypass some of the ballyhooed recruits tells me that despite talent, other elements of their games are missing.

Felt good about Ozigbo.   The dude ran well and ran hard.

Man, it is difficult to watch when we are in 3rd or 4th and short situations.  I am sure we have some successes, but my mind tells me we are 0-fer when it comes to those situations.

We seemed to have been jobbed on a couple of calls, but overall, the lack of discipline is causing me to throw-up a bit in my mouth.  When you have the plethora of penalties and then the assignment breakdowns and there is little wonder why our defense can't get off the field on third downs.

Edited by Huskerpapa

22 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Well, this staff has done at least one thing well after this abysmal start. Benched Lamar Jackson. You can talk buy in all day but if you just trot out the same players making the same mistakes nothing will change. I can think of a few others that should ride some pine. 

Yep, I applauded when L-Jax was taken out, he's been playing timid in his assignments his entire career, it seems. Also, I can appreciate Nebraska playing a guy out of the gates like Kade Warner, who was a beast out there blocking on the perimeter on that 1st drive of the game.

It's obvious that the Huskers don't have the depth necessary to yank a whole lot of guys, it would be a spite to your own cause. I think this team has a lot of improvement in them, I have full faith that they'll do some good things & get multiple dubs yet in October, and more for sure, in 2018.

Edited by AuroranHusker

I'm not going to criticize the Frost hire or the decision to terminate Riley. Not going to criticize the decision to fire Bo and hire Riley.

I felt Frost was a good hire at the time.  I'm not going to try to make any argument now that he either is or isn't.

What I do want to say is that I think he's made some mistakes with the locker room since he's been here.

I think it was a big mistake to diss the outgoing staff and criticize the "culture" he inherited.  You can talk about trying to instill a particular culture if you want to, but you can do that without telling the players that the coach they originally committed to sucked ass.

Notwithstanding the on-field results, there was probably a lot of loyalty the upperclassmen felt toward the prior staff and loyalty is a virtue.  They might take some of those "culture" comments personally and that might affect the degree of "buy-in" Coach Frost is seeing now. 

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm not going to criticize the Frost hire or the decision to terminate Riley. Not going to criticize the decision to fire Bo and hire Riley.

I felt Frost was a good hire at the time.  I'm not going to try to make any argument now that he either is or isn't.

What I do want to say is that I think he's made some mistakes with the locker room since he's been here.

I think it was a big mistake to diss the outgoing staff and criticize the "culture" he inherited.  You can talk about trying to instill a particular culture if you want to, but you can do that without telling the players that the coach they originally committed to sucked ass.

Notwithstanding the on-field results, there was probably a lot of loyalty the upperclassmen felt toward the prior staff and loyalty is a virtue.  They might take some of those "culture" comments personally and that might affect the degree of "buy-in" Coach Frost is seeing now. 

I'm sorry, but if the 'culture' thing affects these candy-a$$es, and they are really offended by a few comments on Riley & Co., then sayonara. I don't see how Frost needs to sugarcoat this to be palatable to a few guys who weren't going to get on the train anyway. This whole saga of the past month has been tiring, bear with me; I'm just sick of the drama. No offense to Normy's comments were meant by my.... err uhhh, rant! GBR!!!

Edited by AuroranHusker

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Loyalty may be a virtue, but so are discipline and accountability, and we had none of that for 3 years.    More likely any players not buying in took it personally that the days of no discipline/do whatever feels good  were ending, more than any public comments.   The  ones who understood the comments were legit and own them are the ones that we need going forward, rather than anyone whining that there feelings were hurt by a few public comments.

10 minutes ago, khoock said:

Honas is out for the year. Thanks to the new redshirt rule he will not lose a year of eligibility and will be a Redshirt Junior next fall.

That's a better end result than losing a year for a ligament injury in the 4th game would have been otherwise. Medical redshirts weren't a guarantee, and this will be now due to the new rule.

10 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

That's a better end result than losing a year for a ligament injury in the 4th game would have been otherwise. Medical redshirts weren't a guarantee, and this will be now due to the new rule.

Much agreed. Once we cycle threw a couple years with this rule I dont think you will see as many Clemson type situations. This rule is great for underclassmen and injuries.