Nebraska Football 2018-2019

Not being a native Nebraskan, it may not be my place to bring this up, but for almost two decades the football team has not been relevant on the national scene so perhaps it is time to stop believing the Great Pumpkin will rise from the pumpkin patch every year. Or to make another Charlie Brown analogy, that Lucy's finger will be left on the ball for each kickoff. Many programs used to be feared national powers and just never made it back to former glory days. Army and Arkansas are two at the top of the alphabet just for starters. I sense the pendulum could have shifted enough that for the first time ever, men's basketball may surpass football in fan enthusiasm this year.  

38 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

The new coach has inherited a team that shattered (bad) records that date all the way back to the 1950s. Turning around a program like this doesn't just happen over night.

And this team is breaking new records. I expected 6-7 wins this year. So the fact that we are struggling doesn’t surprise me. But, the fact that we still lackin on the fundamental side of things and the team gave up very very early in this game is concerning.  I’ll be even more concerned if the depth chart remains the same for next week. 

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

Not being a native Nebraskan, it may not be my place to bring this up, but for almost two decades the football team has not been relevant on the national scene so perhaps it is time to stop believing the Great Pumpkin will rise from the pumpkin patch every year. Or to make another Charlie Brown analogy, that Lucy's finger will be left on the ball for each kickoff. Many programs used to be feared national powers and just never made it back to former glory days. Army and Arkansas are two at the top of the alphabet just for starters. I sense the pendulum could have shifted enough that for the first time ever, men's basketball may surpass football in fan enthusiasm this year.  

I don't believe any of that logic. Except Nebrasketball getting that dub in the Dance. That's going to happen.

3 years of horrible coaching, player development, lack of accountability and discipline in the program,  and a losing culture, and we're all over the new guy, expecting to change that overnight.   There was a reason we were 4-8 last year and not competitive in a game the last month.   Takes longer than 15 practices in the spring and a fall camp to reverse that sickness.  I guess I'll wait to start blasting the new guy who inherited that grotesque mess. 

Edited by HB

the offensive line was really badly outmatched today and frost pretty much said that there's nothing the staff can do about it in the short term. to me that indicates frost knows how much of a talent deficit there is. there are some really solid playmakers on both sides of the ball for nebraska but the foundation for a good team just isn't there atm. 

46 minutes ago, bleujay said:

the offensive line was really badly outmatched today and frost pretty much said that there's nothing the staff can do about it in the short term. to me that indicates frost knows how much of a talent deficit there is. there are some really solid playmakers on both sides of the ball for nebraska but the foundation for a good team just isn't there atm. 

Is it just me, or has this not been a surprise? Frost consistently said nearly every week during the offseason that his players weren't where he wants them to be. At first I just thought that was him being a perfectionist, but it turns out we're just not even "there" yet.

13 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Michigan said our players quit...after the first series.   This rebuild is going to take awhile.

Turns out this is true.

https://www.maizenbrew.com/football/2018/9/22/17890946/josh-metellus-nebraska-gave-up-after-first-series-vs-michigan

He brings it up within 45 seconds into the video:

Edited by HuskerFever

You're either in or you're out:

“Let’s just be truthful: There are some people that want it and some people that don’t. That’s why we’re playing the brand of football we’re playing right now. We’re going to get there and it’s all positive, but I hope that if people have any doubt in us and our team that they make their exit now and we get better from here on out."

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/notes-husker-lb-barry-there-are-some-people-that-want/article_770ed187-40fe-57d1-9c77-33038e8ec781.html

21 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Turns out this is true.

https://www.maizenbrew.com/football/2018/9/22/17890946/josh-metellus-nebraska-gave-up-after-first-series-vs-michigan

Yeah, if I had just curb stomped another team that maybe I really don't care for I would wolf all kinds of SHIT too.. Who can say anything differently?. 

Okay this is my take on the whole thing.. The old guys here have had to live through the last few years of loosing here.. I truely think that they haven't really given up, THEY JUST EITHER HAVE FORGOTTEN HOW TO WIN OR NEVER KNEW HOW TO WIN IN THE FIRST PLACE.. I know I often take the side of these kids but they are still kids and they need to be taught.

I also know from playing lower level college football and having 3 head coaches and 4 different line coaches in my 4 years that it can get cofusing each year because you have to start over with new ways to do things... 

These are not excuses but could be some of the problems.

4 hours ago, HB said:

3 years of horrible coaching, player development, lack of accountability and discipline in the program,  and a losing culture, and we're all over the new guy, expecting to change that overnight.   There was a reason we were 4-8 last year and not competitive in a game the last month.   Takes longer than 15 practices in the spring and a fall camp to reverse that sickness.  I guess I'll wait to start blasting the new guy who inherited that grotesque mess. 

Frost has to turn over the roster, it's where I'm at. Getting 50 new players on the team this past off-season is a start. Probably need another 50 next off-season. It'll improve the culture, I have faith in the process.

12 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Turns out this is true.

"After that... we knew they didn't want to play."

If you are a player, that should make your blood boil!

Let's just let this simmer until we play Michigan again. Obviously it worked for this guy who was able to use a two year old comment from the coach of an entirely different team as motivation for yesterday's game. As anyone who has played knows, comments like this about the opposing players just makes the player quoted seem like a jerk. An ominous note is that Sipple's column today disputed Frost's statement that yesterday would be ROCK BOTTOM for this team. Basketball season can not arrive too quickly for me. Meanwhile, I will have major league baseball as a pleasant distraction.

12 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I don't buy that notion. Michigan fifth-year seniors talked a lot of smack afterwards. They were pissed off that Frost was a bit salty in Ann Arbor two years ago.

The deal is, it doesn't matter if a fan like you or I buy into the notion.  The apparent fact is that it was said by the opposing team and it will filter to other teams and players.  They will believe that if they come out and hit us early, we will not believe in ourselves and will quit rather than fight.  Does perception become reality?   It seemed to become reality last season.  

It is up to our players to knock the snot out of the opposition and prove that the perception or reality that we quit is incorrect. But when Mo Barry and Coach Frost intimate in their post-game comments that some players lack that "want-to" then it becomes a heavy weight for the coaches and other players to overcome.  

I do know this, if it can be done, I am betting that Coach Frost and this staff will not tolerate that crap.

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

The deal is, it doesn't matter if a fan like you or I buy into the notion.  The apparent fact is that it was said by the opposing team and it will filter to other teams and players.  They will believe that if they come out and hit us early, we will not believe in ourselves and will quit rather than fight.  Does perception become reality?   It seemed to become reality last season.  

It is up to our players to knock the snot out of the opposition and prove that the perception or reality that we quit is incorrect. But when Mo Barry and Coach Frost intimate in their post-game comments that some players lack that "want-to" then it becomes a heavy weight for the coaches and other players to overcome.  

I do know this, if it can be done, I am betting that Coach Frost and this staff will not tolerate that crap.

Actually, it does matter because it's one dude's opinion on a salty Michigan squad. I don't think it happened on the field. Using a two-year comment from the UCF head man certainly made Wolverine upperclassman play with fire in their bellies.

The notion that perception is reality need not apply *in 2018* as 2017 is history as is Mike Riley's merry band of Hip Hip Hooray'ers... so, yeah, I'm not buying it, just 'cuz some dude said it. I guess we'll find out how the team comes together in the final 9 games of 2018.... when the rubber meets the road, so to speak.

Edited by AuroranHusker

43 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Actually, it does matter because it's one dude's opinion on a salty Michigan squad. I don't think it happened on the field. Using a two-year comment from the UCF head man certainly made Wolverine upperclassman play with fire in their bellies.

The notion that perception is reality need not apply *in 2018* as 2017 is history as is Mike Riley's merry band of Hip Hip Hooray'ers... so, yeah, I'm not buying it, just 'cuz some dude said it. I guess we'll find out how the team comes together in the final 9 games of 2018.... when the rubber meets the road, so to speak.

You apparently are choosing to ignore the post game comments from both Mo and Coach Frost.  

1 minute ago, AuroranHusker said:

I haven't read them all. I don't buy that Nebraska quit.

I have witnessed when NU quit. I didn't see it yesterday.

And, further, I guess I don't understand why what I wrote earlier caused anyone to react to an opinion of mine with seeming displeasure. Maybe go ahead & provide a better explanation on a person's own opinion on this subject instead of assuming that I didn't read a couple of quotes that may or may not apply to my opinion. That'd be great.