Nebraska Football 2018-2019

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

I know this isn't an over night fix but was disappointed to see penalties, turnovers, and poor special teams hurt us again. Thought the staff would shore up some of it from game one to game two.

Yeah, agreed. The gaffs were noticeable and frustratingly disappointing. It's a process, playing winning football isn't second nature at the moment. And I believe that Frost not having his game-changing QB really played right into Troy's defensive alignments. They run blitzed a lot. It stinks to lose, especially at home. Six straight home losses seems simply unfathomable, but it is reality..

3 hours ago, khoock said:

I know this isn't an over night fix but was disappointed to see penalties, turnovers, and poor special teams hurt us again. Thought the staff would shore up some of it from game one to game two.

Shoring up turnovers is basically impossible. 

It comes down to luck more than anything.

Penalties and special teams are entirely different, but to expect the coaches to coach the kids into better ball security is a wasted expectation.

1 hour ago, atskooc said:

Shoring up turnovers is basically impossible. 

It comes down to luck more than anything.

Penalties and special teams are entirely different, but to expect the coaches to coach the kids into better ball security is a wasted expectation.

Agree to disagree. Decision making and ball security can be improved. Will it ever be perfect? Of course not. But its not a coincidence or luck 6 different players (i think) have fumbled the ball through two games.

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Agree to disagree. Decision making and ball security can be improved. Will it ever be perfect? Of course not. But its not a coincidence or luck 6 different players (i think) have fumbled the ball through two games.

It's luck (the bad type) that we haven't recovered the fumbles. 

The math proves there is no way to coach attaining/preventing turnovers. 

Can "proper" ball handling be coached? Of course. But once the ball is on the ground, luck has everything to do with it. And there is no technique guaranteed to not put the ball on the turf. 

The best indicator for not turning the ball over is having the lead. The greater the lead, the least likely the team is to commit a turnover. 

Expecting this (or any staff) to "coach" the team to not turn the ball over is silly. 

23 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Can "proper" ball handling be coached? Of course. But once the ball is on the ground, luck has everything to do with it. And there is no technique guaranteed to not put the ball on the turf. 

If proper ball handling reduces the chance of fumbling and proper ball handling can be coached (like you acknowledge)... then a staff can coach a team to turn the ball over less???

Im not saying luck has nothing to do with it or that a coaching staff can entirely eliminate them. But they can definitely reduce them by teaching and emphasizing ball security and good decision making.

There is both a physical and mental component to turnovers.  There is also the situation where a great hit directly on the ball occurs, and little can be done about it.  Both Mo and Martinez carry the ball outside of their bodies.  It is glaring with Mo.  He will learn that is an unacceptable way to carry the ball.  Both will continue to build physically and mentally and will be better protectors of the ball in the near future. 

Remember,  Ameer was a fumbler early in his career and he was vastly improved later in his colligent life.

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

In case you needed a good laugh.

"We showed up, we kicked off, we played,'' Akron AD Larry Williams said Thursday night.

"[Nebraska] didn't want to compete at our level,'' he said.

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2018/09/nebraska_shuns_akron_zips_to_p.html

"I'm mad because I haven't received my million dollars yet!!"  -- Akron AD Larry Williams

6 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Hiring Mike Riley had a worse effect on Nebraska than getting the death penalty had on SMU.

Frost needs to take some blame for this debacle. His team is once again not ready to play and doesn’t do anything well. The culture needs to be flipped no doubt but as Bo would say...this staff needs to point the thumb. We should not be this bad. I mean fuck..we have -6 yards rushing at half. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

6 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Frost needs to take some blame for this debacle. His team is once again not ready to play and doesn’t do anything well. The culture needs to be flipped no doubt but as Bo would say...this staff needs to point the thumb. We should not be this bad. I mean fuck..we have -6 yards rushing at half. 

Yeah, in agreement for the most part.

If you're terrible up front, have no depth or experience at QB, are pretty average at RB, and only have a couple WRs this is the type of offense that will get you killed.

I think it shows how far gone and mentally fragile this team was prior to this staff.  If you have a team that far gone, even Saben can't come in and fix that right away.  This is a long term fix and not a short term solution.  Frost was a great hire.  I thought we might have  a few lumps, but didn't know things were this bad.  We were a lot further from where we needed to be in previous years.

1 hour ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Yeah, in agreement for the most part.

If you're terrible up front, have no depth or experience at QB, are pretty average at RB, and only have a couple WRs this is the type of offense that will get you killed.

So how is Frost not taking responsibility? And do you need to use FUCK Mr. Huskersbaseball13. Didn't you call out silverbacked1 for cursing guess you are being called out now.

13 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

So how is Frost not taking responsibility? And do you need to use FUCK Mr. Huskersbaseball13. Didn't you call out silverbacked1 for cursing guess you are being called out now.

I don’t remember. But you probably would since you have a weird obsession with me.   Did that really upset you?