Nebraska Football 2018-2019

I know Scott Frost isnt gonna fix things over night but man I havent seen a crash and burn like this in a long time. The excitement was so high literally three weeks ago and its came to a sudden hault. Some losses and things out of the team's control (weather and injuries) has us staring at an 0-3 start.

If that happens, do we even bother trying to get a 12th game?

Let me start by saying I think Frost is the man for the job of getting it turned around.  Having said that, I see so many Nebraska fans making excuses for a loss to Troy at home.  That should never happen.  Is this what the last 19 years have given us?  Accepting losses to Troy because the QB was injured and it was Frost's 2nd game?

My takeaways as I was walking home [dehydrated and glum] post Troy:

> we came into the season overhyped, dreaming to be Central Florida....and reality sucks

> the offensive line looks better due to scheme, but still are often over matched.  I won't mention specific names

> yes, we certainly missed A-Mart, but guess what, he will have a target on his back all year

> actually the defense played well, a couple breakdowns, but when you play aggressively that will happen

> special teams are a long way from being SPECIAL.  Good grief.

> all things considered, Bunch did okay.  

>  I am critical of the offensive line [see above] but they, along with the scheme, open up holes.  But down field blocking doesn't exist, and when it does happen we either are holding or blocking illegally in one way or another....sheesh

> still have mental breakdowns as a hangover from the last couple years...that has to change.

> there are glimpses of good, I have a feeling we will improve exponentially as the season progresses.

5 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

My takeaways as I was walking home [dehydrated and glum] post Troy:

> we came into the season overhyped, dreaming to be Central Florida....and reality sucks

> the offensive line looks better due to scheme, but still are often over matched.  I won't mention specific names

> yes, we certainly missed A-Mart, but guess what, he will have a target on his back all year

> actually the defense played well, a couple breakdowns, but when you play aggressively that will happen

> special teams are a long way from being SPECIAL.  Good grief.

> all things considered, Bunch did okay.  

>  I am critical of the offensive line [see above] but they, along with the scheme, open up holes.  But down field blocking doesn't exist, and when it does happen we either are holding or blocking illegally in one way or another....sheesh

> still have mental breakdowns as a hangover from the last couple years...that has to change.

> there are glimpses of good, I have a feeling we will improve exponentially as the season progresses.

--  Even UCF went 6-7 in Frost's first year.  We dreamed of being Central Florida 2017 and reality hit us like a very large bus.

-- A-Mart is a scrambling and running QB.  We are going to have to live with Bunch sometimes because he will get dinged up.  Why I was so pissed and shocked at Gebbia.  It wasn't like Martinez was going to go through the whole year without getting hurt.

-- The D is flying around.  That makes up for some deficiencies.

-- I still think we make a bowl this year.  I also think we pick up win #1 next weekend.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:56 PM, brfrad said:

Let me start by saying I think Frost is the man for the job of getting it turned around.  Having said that, I see so many Nebraska fans making excuses for a loss to Troy at home.  That should never happen.  Is this what the last 19 years have given us?  Accepting losses to Troy because the QB was injured and it was Frost's 2nd game?

Look at the realtime rpi predictions before the season.  Troy was ranked higher than Colorado and we were expected to lose to Troy.  

I think a legit argument can be made that not playing Akron cost us both of these games.  We'll never know.

I'm wondering if the O-line gained too much weight in the off-season.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Look at the realtime rpi predictions before the season.  Troy was ranked higher than Colorado and we were expected to lose to Troy.  

I think a legit argument can be made that not playing Akron cost us both of these games.  We'll never know.

I'm wondering if the O-line gained too much weight in the off-season.

We had multiple occasions where either our center or one of our guards, not named Foster, were driven straight backwards at the snap.  After one such occurrence, one of those two players was removed from the game and Mr. Wilson was inserted.

19 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Had to drive to a wedding during the time after the game and spent that time flipping between 1110 and 1620. Would it be too much to ask people to talk about the actual game instead of legislating how everyone should feel?

Same thing but the wife said, "I am not listening to a bunch of drunks whine about today's game.".

So we listened to her channel on XM radio.?

Having watched quite a few UCF games under Frost I feel comfortable in saying that he probably called the worst game of his career as a head coach thus far this past Saturday.  I get the gameplan and what he wanted to do and fully understand that the staff probably has zero trust in Bunch but for the most part we failed to get the ball in our playmakers hands and called an ultra conservative game.  We threw  a total of 4 passes 10 or more yards down the field.  Unless you have a dominant o-line(we don't) that's not going to work if you expect to run the ball. 

I think we will hear about a make up game here soon...so that should get us one win.  Not sure how much we get after that.  A bowl game is probably wishful thinking at this point.  We have a long ways to go unfortunately. 

Frost thought he could sneak out a win with a very conservative game plan and too many mistakes resulted in it back firing. Bunch is capable of more than what was called. He is a solid runner and thrower but the staff wanted to keep him up right so we didnt throw deep or run him much. Unfortunately, the O-line (which Scott was banking on) played a much worse game than it did against Colorado.

Thats my take away after digesting the available information for a little bit.

Edited by khoock

3 hours ago, khoock said:

Frost thought he could sneak out a win with a very conservative game plan and too many mistakes resulted in it back firing. Bunch is capable of more than what was called. He is a solid runner and thrower but the staff wanted to keep him up right so we didnt throw deep or run him much. Unfortunately, the O-line (which Scott was banking on) played a much worse game than it did against Colorado.

Thats my take away after digesting the available information for a little bit.

Yep, pretty much. Having 3 turnovers in back-to-back games kinda sucks, too.