Nebraska Football 2018-2019

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Yes, one of the nice things about buying from these "markets" is that a lot of them do have some sort of clause.  I was more referring to the people who I usually buy from off the street outside of the stadium on game day.

Uh oh... you didn't buy any tickets from this guy in the parking lot, did you?

BX2Kk15CIAAk_S0.jpg

On 9/3/2018 at 10:02 PM, HuskerFever said:

At least we didn't lose to a FCS school this past Saturday... Beaty is now 3-34 in his 4th season at Kansas, having more FCS losses (2) than FBS wins (1):

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/the-monday-after-there-are-plenty-of-options-but-no-easy-answers-for-kansas-football/amp/

For all their hoops success, I find it refreshing that KU is atrocious at football. Especially so after running guys out of town like they have (Terry Allen, Mark Mangino, Turner Gill etc etc etc).

Way too many mistakes to win this game. Penalties, turnovers, and BIG TIME drops. Martinez's pass to Morgan in the endzone and Bunch's pass to Speilman for a would have been first down couldnt have been much better.

However, there is a lot to like. It will take some time for the team to adopt a winning mentality and break the bad habits that developed under the previous staff. But I came away excited for the future. This isnt a game we lose later on in the year. Hell i dont think we lose this game if we played last week.

Well that was a tough one to take.  Colorado did not beat us, we beat us.  However, the dumb penalty late was because we ended up being too aggressive.  Yeah it was dumb, but he had that killer mentality that we have been missing the last few years.  It sucks, hurts, and isn't what we wanted.  Colorado wasn't a bad team either.  I still think we have a decent season this year.

3 hours ago, brfrad said:

Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes,  mistakes.  It's happened for 20 years.  We say it EVERY time.  They turned it over 3 times.  Commit a penalty on 3rd and forever, that did not need to happen. 

Please.  It was the first game.  Have some patience.  The rainout loomed large today.  A lot of good things happened.  Surprised to hear all the whining on here 

3 minutes ago, HB said:

Please.  It was the first game.  Have some patience.  The rainout loomed large today.  A lot of good things happened.  Surprised to hear all the whining on here 

It was frustration of the last 20 years creeping up on me.  There seems to be countless number of games where we beat ourselves and we shouldn't.   We gave them 14 points and took at least a possible 3 off the board.  That is 17 - 21 point swing.  It will take some time.  If you go - 3 and commit 11 penalties, you are going to lose a majority of times.  I think Frost was a good hire, but he didn't seem to have a good day.  Not burning clock up by a point probably came back to hurt him.  Some 4th down calls were rough.  We have a lot of work to do to get to a bowl game this year.  That's what hurts the most about losing this game.

10 hours ago, brfrad said:

It was frustration of the last 20 years creeping up on me.  There seems to be countless number of games where we beat ourselves and we shouldn't.   We gave them 14 points and took at least a possible 3 off the board.  That is 17 - 21 point swing.  It will take some time.  If you go - 3 and commit 11 penalties, you are going to lose a majority of times.  I think Frost was a good hire, but he didn't seem to have a good day.  Not burning clock up by a point probably came back to hurt him.  Some 4th down calls were rough.  We have a lot of work to do to get to a bowl game this year.  That's what hurts the most about losing this game.

His system isn't to burn clock.  Ironically, we had a chance to win at the end precisely because we didn't run the clock down on the 3rd down play the possession before Colorado scored.   

Perhaps you you didn't realize how bad it had gotten under the prior pitiful staff.  Perhaps you haven't heard that teams improve the most beteeen the first and second game.   Perhaps you expected a miraculous turnaround with one spring and one fall camp.   Of course we have a lot of work to get to a bowl game this year.  What the hell did you expect?   A surprisingly negative viewpoint when there was a lot to be excited about for the future after that game.  Unless one insists in the future being this week.  

1 hour ago, HB said:

His system isn't to burn clock.  Ironically, we had a chance to win at the end precisely because we didn't run the clock down on the 3rd down play the possession before Colorado scored.   

Perhaps you you didn't realize how bad it had gotten under the prior pitiful staff.  Perhaps you haven't heard that teams improve the most beteeen the first and second game.   Perhaps you expected a miraculous turnaround with one spring and one fall camp.   Of course we have a lot of work to get to a bowl game this year.  What the hell did you expect?   A surprisingly negative viewpoint when there was a lot to be excited about for the future after that game.  Unless one insists in the future being this week.  

That is a great point and Frost himself said as much.  I also have to remember that some of our better players right now and some of the more important players are Freshman.  Martinez, Pickering, Washington, etc.  I think we will be fine and I think you'll be surprised more than upset the rest of this year.  Colorado was a decent team and they'll win some games in the Pac 12.  That won't be a terrible loss come the end of the year.

8 hours ago, HB said:

I am coming off as negative.  It was my gut reaction to seeing a team we should beat and lose because of our mistakes.  I would have been more positive if we would have lost, but played with limited mistakes.  It gets old going into what seems like every game thinking "what mistake will Nebraska make to lose the game."  I do believe Frost will eventually get us to stop saying that.  I think a bowl game would be huge for us as far as practice time, and another game for experience.   We now have to win a game we shouldn't win.

Finally, I do think this team improves this year, and wins 6 or 7, depending if we get to make up the Akron game.  Just a hard pill to swallow with the coulda and shoulda.

1 hour ago, brfrad said:

I am coming off as negative.  It was my gut reaction to seeing a team we should beat and lose because of our mistakes.  I would have been more positive if we would have lost, but played with limited mistakes.  It gets old going into what seems like every game thinking "what mistake will Nebraska make to lose the game."  I do believe Frost will eventually get us to stop saying that.  I think a bowl game would be huge for us as far as practice time, and another game for experience.   We now have to win a game we shouldn't win.

Finally, I do think this team improves this year, and wins 6 or 7, depending if we get to make up the Akron game.  Just a hard pill to swallow with the coulda and shoulda.

I would argue many of the years you are blaming on " mistakes" were times we just sucked.    Even in our good years we made a lot of mistakes in the first game.   Not always enough to lose, but we often played cupcakes, unlike this week.   Not playing the Akron  game was huge.   Ultimately whether we lose Martinez for a long period of time will have a greater impact on the season  losing this game.  

On 9/9/2018 at 8:56 AM, HB said:

Exactly. This coaching staff is not taking its foot off the gas pedal until it's in victory formation. The rule changes over the past several years favor offense and favor aggressive teams (see the penalty on Reed that wouldn't have been a penalty several years ago as an easy example). 

Even if NU tries to burn clock there, CU still would've had plenty of time to score, especially just needing a field goal. Remember, they still had a timeout remaining after they scored. They could've just used that timeout while we were trying to burn clock.

When playing teams that are used to playing fast, giving a team the ball at its 25 with 60-90 seconds remaining is an eternity in today's game, even if they have no timeouts, especially when they'd just need a field goal.  Hell, we moved the ball 40-45 yards down the field pretty easily in about 40 seconds with a backup QB who was taking the 4th D-1 game snap of his life at the start of the drive ... and we had a timeout still on the board when we reached the 20-yd line.

Unless you have an elite defense, give me an aggressive offense every time in today's college game. So late in the game, I think teams have really changed their thinking regarding managing clock on offense from what traditionally has occurred.

What's better than worrying about burning clock is just not giving the ball back.

When Martinez went out, we either needed a couple of first downs to ice the game or a defensive stop, so I have no issue with them staying aggressive and focusing on trying to convert the first down in the most natural way for their offense, rather than worrying about the clock. Without at least one first down on our part, CU was going to have plenty of time whether we tried to burn clock or not.

Once we get to a spot in a game under 2 minutes where burning clock will actually matter, I'd imagine we'll play it far differently.

And completely agree about feeling very positive after that game. Can't remember feeling so positive about a loss since maybe the 2009 Texas game (after calming down about the 1 second fiasco) or the 2008 Texas Tech game that we lost in OT down there when they were ranked in the Top 10. Lots and lots of positives, and the mistakes/negatives are fixable. 

Football is fun again. Basketball is fun again. I like it. 

Edited by throwback

8 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Colorado is ridiculous. That play makes me so mad. What an absolute crap thing to do!

Let's be real. There are two dirty players involved.  Can't believe the second one didn't draw a flag.  You have the guy on the ground who tackled AM to begin with and he's twisting the leg, but the other guy, #53, comes in for a very late hit after AM is clearly down.  And that's probably the injury.  Guy on ground holding his leg while other guy comes in and lays into the defenseless player who's already "down." It was that late hit that made his leg bend the wrong way.  It's like "you hold him while I hit him."

Which makes the personal foul on our defense right before their go-ahead score all the more infuriating.