Nebraska Football 2018-2019

2 hours ago, atskooc said:

Bradley will probably transfer after the year.

He's not even on the depth chart.

Wilbon is probably done as well (at least in terms of any playing time).

Wouldnt be surprised given that there are two freshmen ahead of him currently on the depth chart. We seem to have a couple good ones coming in for next year too.

Journal-Star insert on the football team this weekend had season predictions by their 4 sports guys.

Two predicted we'd win 8 games; two predicted we'd win 7.  The OWH writers also have us winning 8.

Pretty consistent with my expectations.  I'd put the over/under on wins at 7.5.  And I think by the time Michigan State comes to town, we'll have a reasonably seasoned QB and it's not a foregone conclusion we lose that game.  I think we'll win the other 6 home games, and I suspect we'll pick up 1-2 wins against Iowa, Northwestern, and Michigan State.

I feel so much more confident in our coaching than I have in years.  I think we have the talent to compete with the better teams in the conference and we now have the coaching to go along with it.  The weapons we have on offense are downright nasty.  We just happened to have some wideouts on the roster who fit Frost's system perfectly: shifty little guys who are excellent in space.  I fully expect our offense to be as good as it's been in years.  And our defense will be significantly improved as well, if only because they had nowhere to go but up.

As transitions go, this is going to be the easiest one we've had since Solich took over for Osborne because we have the personnel needed to run the systems on both sides of the ball.  It's not like we'll have to go a couple of recruiting cycles to get the players we need.  Even if Frost had not gotten his QB recruit, I think both Gebbia and Bunch could have won us some games within Frost's system.  But he did get his QB, and we already had players to surround him with.  So, it's not going to be like trying to run a West Coast Offense with Joe Dailey, right?

43 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Gebbia's timing is worse than AWIII and Jordy's.  Oh well.....

Yeah, so much for his team first attitude.  I know he is upset, I would be as well, but goodness, this doesn't seem the best way to handle it.  I guess if he enrolls at a JUCO,  he may be a position to transfer and play at a different Division l program next year?

Just to play Devils Advocate, lets not put this all on Gebbia. Its possible that the coaching staff was stringing Gebbia along just to keep him for another year to help with QB depth. Next year Martinez will be a year older, Noah Vedral will be eligible, and Christian McCaffery will be on campus. Next year Gebbia is much more dispensable, this year not so much. Its possible the QB race wasnt as close as advertised and it was just made to seem that way to keep Gebbia from leaving (fail).

Now let me state I think Coach Frost and Co have more character than that and are very straightforward with the players and media. Just dropping it as a possibility. Bet Frost regrets not fighting harder for Vedral's eligibility now.

Heres to Andrew Bunch seeing mop up duty and only mop up duty.

5 minutes ago, khoock said:

Just to play Devils Advocate, lets not put this all on Gebbia. Its possible that the coaching staff was stringing Gebbia along just to keep him for another year to help with QB depth. Next year Martinez will be a year older, Noah Vedral will be eligible, and Christian McCaffery will be on campus. Next year Gebbia is much more dispensable, this year not so much. Its possible the QB race wasnt as close as advertised and it was just made to seem that way to keep Gebbia from leaving (fail).

Now let me state I think Coach Frost and Co have more character than that and are very straightforward with the players and media. Just dropping it as a possibility. Bet Frost regrets not fighting harder for Vedral's eligibility now.

Heres to Andrew Bunch seeing mop up duty and only mop up duty.

What makes you say Frost didn't fight for Vedral's eligibility?  We tried and it wasn't gonna happen. 

38 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

So now the walk on is #2. Does he get a scholly? to make it not look so bad.

No scholly's to give until second semester.   Gebbia's counts against us this semester since he participated in fall camp.   Wouldn't be surprised if he gets one second semester, depending on how he does this fall. 

5 minutes ago, HB said:

What makes you say Frost didn't fight for Vedral's eligibility?  We tried and it wasn't gonna happen. 

Just to be clear, I am not throwing any shade at Frost bc obviously hindsight is 20/20. I could be wrong, but as I understood it an appeal was never filed to attain immediate eligibility for Vedral. They felt that they didnt have a strong case and decided not to file the appeal. Which at the time made sense as we had two talented freshmen duking it out and another QB in Bunch who at least seems to be competent.

The only thing thats preventing me from going all gloom and doom is that i have complete faith in this coaching staffs ability to develop players.

I bet Bunch is a much better player than he was in the spring game (where he still looked serviceable) and i am willing to bet he will be much improved by the end of the season. 

Oh and theres finally a freaking game this Saturday!!!

51 minutes ago, khoock said:

The only thing thats preventing me from going all gloom and doom is that i have complete faith in this coaching staffs ability to develop players.

I bet Bunch is a much better player than he was in the spring game (where he still looked serviceable) and i am willing to bet he will be much improved by the end of the season. 

Oh and theres finally a freaking game this Saturday!!!

The fact remains that Gebbia was a knee, shoulder, or hammy away from starting.  It also remains that you just don't do this to your teammates.  You have the same transfer opportunities now that you will in January... if not more then.  It's on Gebbia.  He chose this.  There comes a point where having heart and being a good teammate is something that needs to happen.  I think Frost's comment that "we want guys here that WANT to be here" says something about this situation.  

You either bust a nut for your brothers or you leave.  As mentioned,  I understand why he is upset, tie that to the fact that he was a Riley recruit, and I sort of get it.  But man, I didn't grow up with the mindset of "get beat out and I leave" -- I would have busted my ass to get better....sort of the Beringer approach. 

Y'know, maybe if I'm Frost, I pick Gebbia as a game 1 starter but tell the players I'm planning on playing both in the game before picking a starter for good.  Then, once he's played, it counts as a season and he'd be less likely to transfer until the end of the semester.

Andrew Bunch is now getting more practice reps and probably happy for it.  He seemed a reasonable back up based on what I saw in the spring game, so it's not all bad.