Nebraska Football 2018-2019

Out of curiosity, I looked to see how many of UCF's receivers had double-figure catches under Frost last season.  The answer is 9.

Two of them were running backs.  At least one, Akins, was a TE.  Which means there were no more than 6 WRs who reached double figures in catches.

Now, many years at Nebraska, you have trouble coming up with 6 names.  This year, I think you'd have trouble STOPPING at 6.

We have Morgan, of course, and Lyndsey and Spielman.  We have Reimers and McQuitty.  Plus we went and grabbed two of the top juco receivers in the country in Woodyard and Williams.  Hopefully, we get Watt in camp.  But even without him, we still have talented freshmen in Hunt and McGriff.

That's 10 guys.  And that's not all the WRs on the roster, either.  This is one position group where we're very deep.

48 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Out of curiosity, I looked to see how many of UCF's receivers had double-figure catches under Frost last season.  The answer is 9.

Two of them were running backs.  At least one, Akins, was a TE.  Which means there were no more than 6 WRs who reached double figures in catches.

Now, many years at Nebraska, you have trouble coming up with 6 names.  This year, I think you'd have trouble STOPPING at 6.

We have Morgan, of course, and Lyndsey and Spielman.  We have Reimers and McQuitty.  Plus we went and grabbed two of the top juco receivers in the country in Woodyard and Williams.  Hopefully, we get Watt in camp.  But even without him, we still have talented freshmen in Hunt and McGriff.

That's 10 guys.  And that's not all the WRs on the roster, either.  This is one position group where we're very deep.

And from deep to thin in a hurry. I wonder just how many WR would be enough in this Offense?

Here is where I am sort of leaning towards Gebbia being the starter.  We need someone who can and will distribute the ball.  I am not saying that Bunch and Martinez can't,  but I believe that is where Triston will shine.  Tristan can stretch and spread the field.  He has plenty of playmakers surrounding him where he can distribute the ball.  If he needs to run, he can.  

We seem to be very deep in the skill positions...now, if we can only block!

Edited by Huskerpapa

12 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Here is where I am sort of leaning towards Gebbia being the starter.  We need someone who can and will distribute the ball.  I am not saying that Bunch and Matinez can't,  but I believe that is where Triston will shine.  Tristan can stretch and spread the field.  He has plenty of playmakers surrounding him where he can distribute the ball.  If he needs to run, he can.  

Most of the pundits say that Gebbia will be the starter. But you have to like what Martinez brings to the table as well. If Gebbia would get hurt Martinez will be serviceable, unlike past years.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, Huskerpapa said:

Here is where I am sort of leaning towards Gebbia being the starter.  We need someone who can and will distribute the ball.  I am not saying that Bunch and Martinez can't,  but I believe that is where Triston will shine.  Tristan can stretch and spread the field.  He has plenty of playmakers surrounding him where he can distribute the ball.  If he needs to run, he can.  

I have no inside info but I concur that Gebbia will likely be the game 1 starter.  I think he's the safest bet at this point.  With that said, he doesn't have the same arm strength as Martinez but probably has a better feel for the passing game right now.  Once Martinez gets his feet wet I think he will eventually win the job. 

I don't pretend to know which QB is the better passer.  Could be any of the three.  But I do have a feeling based on the game video that I've watched that whoever is the best passer probably wins the job.  I think they're all mobile enough for Frost's scheme, where the QB's primary job is to distribute the ball to his RBs and receivers.  Milton was a good runner for Frost, but he was an opportunistic runner, taking advantage of picking up yardage on the ground when the defense wasn't expecting it.

Frost's offense is not dependent on the QB carrying the ball a lot.  It is dependent on a QB who can zip the ball out there to guys who are breaking open.  Quick and accurate.  And considering all the weapons we have at the wideout position, we need to take advantage of it with a passing QB.

Martinez is the better runner, but unless he's also the better passer, he's not going to win the starting job.  Just my guess.

19 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I have no inside info but I concur that Gebbia will likely be the game 1 starter.  I think he's the safest bet at this point.  With that said, he doesn't have the same arm strength as Martinez but probably has a better feel for the passing game right now.  Once Martinez gets his feet wet I think he will eventually win the job. 

I just saw a five minute video of a recent practice.  It certainly appeared that Martinez had the stronger arm.  I only opined that it would be Gebbia based on word of mouth.  I won't be surprised as to who starts...unless it ends up being Bunch...that would be surprising. 

On 8/9/2018 at 6:42 PM, HuskerFever said:

Not to derail from the current conversation, but it appears they've caught their first suspect in the Scott Frost robbery case. I'm sure there's plenty more to come:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/police-arrest-17-year-old-girl-in-burglary-case-of-nebraska-coach-scott-frosts-house/amp/

Add two more names to the "who burglarized Scott Frost's home" list:

https://www.omaha.com/news/crime/police-arrest-two-more-including-teen-boy-in-burglary-at/article_e7cbf4b6-1c59-507d-9c90-e60ff6828ae1.html

My memory of things back in the Osborne days was that our defense was always ahead of the offense to begin fall camp and it took the offense until the end of fall camp to catch up.  I think that had to do with the fact that defensive schemes were simpler and more straightforward and the offense had to get their timing down and reads of the defense post-snap and stuff like that.  Eventually, we'd have a potent offense, but the offense was always playing catch-up.  As I recall.

This writeup makes it sound like the script has flipped under Frost a bit.

Offense is really stressing the D right now and, though we think we have a pretty talented D, the offense is exposing them.  Chinander made a comment to the effect that this offense really makes it clear who on the defense made a mistake.  And, while we think we have a pretty talented, athletic, big and deep D-line, apparently the offensive line in this particular practice was pushing the defense around.

This is FANTASTIC news for anyone who was worried about our OL sucking again this year.  It also suggests our QBs have picked up the offense well enough to make the defense look like they have some catching up to do.

Sounds like the biggest question mark is defensive secondary.  And that might only be because our offense is so fast-paced and our receivers are that good.

It'll be interesting to see once the bullets start flying for real.

Barnett gone due to multiple concussions.   Heard he is a good kid and it really sounds like he made a good decision.   I could argue that his decision should have come 4 or 5 concussions earlier.  Goodness.

Williams and Roberts walk away, my opinion only, in shame.  It is easier to walk away then to stay, listen to the staff, and fight for a position.

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Barnett gone due to multiple concussions.   Heard he is a good kid and it really sounds like he made a good decision.   I could argue that his decision should have come 4 or 5 concussions earlier.  Goodness.

Williams and Roberts walk away, my opinion only, in shame.  It is easier to walk away then to stay, listen to the staff, and fight for a position.

In reference to WIlliams and Roberts... I will agree that I believe there is a lack of "fight" and "grit" there.

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Kinda satisfied that some of the soft players have vanished from the program. It means that Frost & Co. are truly going to make the players their spots. That's refreshing after the Riley debacle.

Sort of like a certain RB recruit who excitedly accepts our offer via a verbal commitment,  and then looks at our other RB recruits along with, what now appears be a decently strong RB room, and sort of saying 'never mind, I can't compete against those dudes' -- or something like that. 

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Sort of like a certain RB recruit who excitedly accepts our offer via a verbal commitment,  and then looks at our other RB recruits along with, what now appears be a decently strong RB room, and sort of saying 'never mind, I can't compete against those dudes' -- or something like that. 

The running backs room appears to be stacked. But it is Div. 1 football so every team has good players, it seems. I guess some kids want to stack their own deck with a favorable depth chart.

4 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Fraid of the competition he is.

Never a bad thing to shed dead weight. All three were 3rd or 4th string. Glad Barnett put his health first. Jackson has some stuff to figure out; if he finds a new school it will be his FIFTH one (Kentucky -> Iowa Western -> Mesa -> Nebraska). Roberts will probably find a team out on the east coast. I still think he will be a good player and hopefully this experience matures him and makes him realize the work he will need to put in at his new school. He is very talented.

On 8/24/2018 at 1:09 PM, khoock said:

Tre Bryant is retiring from the game. Thats three players in a span of months (Decker, Barnett, Bryant). 

Big opportunity for in state kids Jaylin Bradley and Wyatt Mazour (who just got put on scholarship) to get in that main RB rotation.

Bradley will probably transfer after the year.

He's not even on the depth chart.

Wilbon is probably done as well (at least in terms of any playing time).