Nebraska Football 2018-2019

On 5/11/2018 at 11:45 PM, HuskerFever said:

New season, new thread.

So this didn't last long. Nebraska's Director of Recruiting Operations made it from February to May and now the position is vacant:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/frost-s-director-of-recruiting-operations-takes-job-at-alabama/article_6e7ac756-5569-11e8-8277-fb0db5bbc526.html

He lasted two times a Burno!

There are certain things that make recruiting in the sec easier.

Fever, thanks for starting this thread.  Not to change the topic -- keeping it on football -- but something has kinda been percolating in my brain since watching the spring game and I'm curious what other people think about it, and that is what kind of QB best fits in Frost's system?  A guy who's a top-notch runner who's maybe a B-average passer? Or a guy who's maybe a B-average runner but a top-notch thrower?

I think I saw both kinds of QBs at the Spring Game this year, and while I think a lot of people seem to assume that Martinez is the odds-on favorite to start, I'm not so sure.

What I saw in the spring game suggests to me that the ideal QB for Frost's system is a QB who can run AND pass very well, but if you had to lean in favor of one particular trait or skillset over the other, based on what they were actually running in the spring game, I'm not sure you wouldn't go in the direction of the guy who can throw it better.

Seemed like there was a lot of vertical passing in the spring game, a lot of downfield throws.  And I saw a couple of QBs in Gebbia and Bunch who could fit that ball into tight spaces downfield.  Those guys had wheels enough to get out of trouble and scramble when needed even if they didn't have the kind of burst and change-of-direction you'd look for in your running back.  So, they probably aren't going to be big-time running threats in zone-read situations.  But passable.  

On the other hand, you have a guy in Martinez who has the speed, quicks and change of direction to be a real running threat.  I do, however, question his passing touch.  He had a medium-long TD throw that was behind and short and the receiver had to adjust on the ball to make the catch.  He was wide open and so the throw didn't have to be perfect, but that's a good thing because it wasn't.  It also wasn't a tight spiral.  Granted, that's the only long pass I saw Martinez throw, so it's a very small sample size.  And, yes, I realize Martinez's completion percentage was probably the best of any of the QBs, but he was throwing a lot of short routes and high-percentage kinds of throws.

Seems to me that Gebbia and Bunch can both hand the ball off or pitch the ball to a running back just as well as Martinez.  So, the only time the running game would really benefit from the better running QB is in zone-read situations.  How many zone read plays will we run in a game?  I have no idea, but probably not as many zone reads as there will be passes that require pin-point accuracy that I'm not sure Martinez has.

In other words, I could honestly see any of the three QBs starting this fall.  And I think the offense would be in capable hands with any of them, based on what little you get to see in a spring game.

Just thinking out loud here.  Anyone want to chime in?

If you look at what Frost did with the talent he had at UCF, he didn't have a particularly great QB. But he was able to stretch out the defense with his "accurate enough" arm and legs. Frost is likely looking for that guy who can throw a long pass to an open receiver (not tight coverage) and can throw the midrange passes or run the ball. Then again, in a couple of years I'm sure the talent pool Frost can recruit from will be different than what be had at UCF and his first year at Nebraska.

I noted that K Williams opted out today.  I believe he will qualify as a graduate transfer.  Also heard that an interior offensive lineman has requested his release which will be granted.  I won't name him since it isn't official.  But that will take us down to the required 85.  Any additional transfers will create openings for transfers in areas of need  (OT,  DB or PK )

To Norm's question,  I believe you would want a passing QB who can also be a serviceable runner.  That would prevent the defenses from placing 8 defenders in the box and provide gaps and space.  Just my two cents.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

I noted that K Williams opted out today.  I believe he will qualify as a graduate transfer.  Also heard that an interior offensive lineman has requested his release which will be granted.  I won't name him since it isn't official.  But that will take us down to the required 85.  Any additional transfers will create openings for transfers in areas of need  (OT,  DB or PK )

To Norm's question,  I believe you would want a passing QB who can also be a serviceable runner.  That would prevent the defenses from placing 8 defenders in the box and provide gaps and space.  Just my two cents.

That was my thinking as well.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Fever, thanks for starting this thread.  Not to change the topic -- keeping it on football -- but something has kinda been percolating in my brain since watching the spring game and I'm curious what other people think about it, and that is what kind of QB best fits in Frost's system?  A guy who's a top-notch runner who's maybe a B-average passer? Or a guy who's maybe a B-average runner but a top-notch thrower?

I think I saw both kinds of QBs at the Spring Game this year, and while I think a lot of people seem to assume that Martinez is the odds-on favorite to start, I'm not so sure.

What I saw in the spring game suggests to me that the ideal QB for Frost's system is a QB who can run AND pass very well, but if you had to lean in favor of one particular trait or skillset over the other, based on what they were actually running in the spring game, I'm not sure you wouldn't go in the direction of the guy who can throw it better.

Seemed like there was a lot of vertical passing in the spring game, a lot of downfield throws.  And I saw a couple of QBs in Gebbia and Bunch who could fit that ball into tight spaces downfield.  Those guys had wheels enough to get out of trouble and scramble when needed even if they didn't have the kind of burst and change-of-direction you'd look for in your running back.  So, they probably aren't going to be big-time running threats in zone-read situations.  But passable.  

On the other hand, you have a guy in Martinez who has the speed, quicks and change of direction to be a real running threat.  I do, however, question his passing touch.  He had a medium-long TD throw that was behind and short and the receiver had to adjust on the ball to make the catch.  He was wide open and so the throw didn't have to be perfect, but that's a good thing because it wasn't.  It also wasn't a tight spiral.  Granted, that's the only long pass I saw Martinez throw, so it's a very small sample size.  And, yes, I realize Martinez's completion percentage was probably the best of any of the QBs, but he was throwing a lot of short routes and high-percentage kinds of throws.

Seems to me that Gebbia and Bunch can both hand the ball off or pitch the ball to a running back just as well as Martinez.  So, the only time the running game would really benefit from the better running QB is in zone-read situations.  How many zone read plays will we run in a game?  I have no idea, but probably not as many zone reads as there will be passes that require pin-point accuracy that I'm not sure Martinez has.

In other words, I could honestly see any of the three QBs starting this fall.  And I think the offense would be in capable hands with any of them, based on what little you get to see in a spring game.

Just thinking out loud here.  Anyone want to chime in?

Aren't you kind of asking whether Frazier or Berringer was a better fit in 1995?

Once the other peices are in place, Frost can take either style and make it work out just fine.

18 minutes ago, trickey said:

Aren't you kind of asking whether Frazier or Berringer was a better fit in 1995?

Once the other peices are in place, Frost can take either style and make it work out just fine.

Not exactly.  I think Frost's offense differs significantly from Osborne's.  In the old option I, the QB was a potential run option on probably 50% or more of our plays.  The passing game worked because the defense was drawn up to stack the box in order to stop the run and we didn't need precision passing.  You could lob a long pass to a TE running alone and he had next to all day to adjust to the ball.  Most deep passes were significantly underthrown to wide open TEs who would have to slow down to almost a stop to catch the ball before being overtaken by the defense.  And, keep in mind a lot of Tommie's and Brooke's pass attempts were shovel passes to a running back up the middle.  Almost like a forward hand-off.  So there wasn't even as much passing involved as the old stats would make it seem.

What I saw in UCF's bowl game and the spring game was an offense that seemed to utilize the QB still for his feet but more for his arm.   I expect there will be a lot more balance in the offensive attack under Frost than there was under Osborne.  Yeah, the QB is going to get some carries, but he's going to be slinging the ball around the field as well in ways that the old Power I never envisioned.  And that's one of the reasons I think we'll need a guy who can throw it like Brooke more than a guy who can run it like Tommie.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Not exactly.  I think Frost's offense differs significantly from Osborne's.  In the old option I, the QB was a potential run option on probably 50% or more of our plays.  The passing game worked because the defense was drawn up to stack the box in order to stop the run and we didn't need precision passing.  You could lob a long pass to a TE running alone and he had next to all day to adjust to the ball.  Most deep passes were significantly underthrown to wide open TEs who would have to slow down to almost a stop to catch the ball before being overtaken by the defense.  And, keep in mind a lot of Tommie's and Brooke's pass attempts were shovel passes to a running back up the middle.  Almost like a forward hand-off.  So there wasn't even as much passing involved as the old stats would make it seem.

What I saw in UCF's bowl game and the spring game was an offense that seemed to utilize the QB still for his feet but more for his arm.   I expect there will be a lot more balance in the offensive attack under Frost than there was under Osborne.  Yeah, the QB is going to get some carries, but he's going to be slinging the ball around the field as well in ways that the old Power I never envisioned.  And that's one of the reasons I think we'll need a guy who can throw it like Brooke more than a guy who can run it like Tommie.

Joe Ganz would be a perfect fit for Frost's offense.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just going to put this here:

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/ncaa-shakes-up-college-football-offseason-with-two-major-rule/article_10c80ff2-0784-5f87-ac3f-ff99ab24f431.html

"Starting this season, Division I football players can now participate in up to four games in a season without losing a year of eligibility, and all college athletes will no longer need permission from their coach or school to transfer and receive financial aid from another school, the NCAA Division I Council announced."

Startling - significant  - great for the student athletes - great for Nebraska.  One reason this is great for the Huskers is because of our unmatched walk-on program.  Most programs leverage their redshirts for their scout teams.  Nebraska did/does as well.  However, with the change in the redshirt rule, we can now include potential redshirts in game prep, while still having plenty of players working on the scout team.  

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Interesting hire.  I like Coach Brown and he brings a whole lot of good back to unl, but he also brings a bit of bagage that may alienate a few folks.  This would NEVER have taken place if Harvey was still here; but then again, if Harvey was still here, neither Moos or Frost would be here either.?

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:30 PM, royalfan said:

An Alex smith type qb is what I see being the best.  Accurate short passer with enough mobility to hurt you.  

Quite honestly, this sounds like Gebbia.  It will probably be hard for him to overcome Martinez in time but it would not surprise me to see Gebbia be the guy game 1. 

Two exceptional additions.  Neal will certainly press for a starting role.  Ellis is one of the best, if not THE best, performance nutritionists in the business.  Add to that the recent additions of Fair and Coach Brown, tells me the Husker football program got a whole lot better this week.