Amir Harris is N

25 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I think Allen will really benefit from Harris having good size.  Miles will not have to worry as much about playing two short guards at the same time causing match up problems.

How much will Harris be playing this year? I think Harris will get minutes but the majority of the time it's going to be Watson and Allen, right?

15 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I looked at this the other day.  It's actually worse than that for Anton.  Anton missed the first 2 games of the season, so he only played in 31 games on the year.

In his first 16 games (roughly half the season), Anton shot 37 of 80 from beyond the arc for 46%.

In the last 15 games, he was only 17 of 63 for 27%.

And in our last 4 losses down the stretch, Anton was an abysmal 4 of 21 from 3-point range for 19%.  For comparison purposes, in those same 4 losses, Isaiah Roby was 5 of 11 for 45.5%.

I think his legs got tired at the end of the year, that injury was more than he thought it would be by season's end.

2 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I think his legs got tired at the end of the year, that injury was more than he thought it would be by season's end.

That could very well be.  I was hoping for his sake that he'd have a better end to his career.  From a distance, he always struck me as a good, supportive teammate who handled his injury adversity with a great deal of maturity and class.  If he'd finished the season the way he started, we likely would have danced.  Just sayin.

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

How much will Harris be playing this year? I think Harris will get minutes but the majority of the time it's going to be Watson and Allen, right?

I was thinking more so for the following years but I hope Harris can spell Watson at times this year.  It would be nice to give Watson a breather now and then and I can see Harris and Allen both playing a little point when Watson is out.  We should be pretty flexible with Palmer and even Roby being able to bring the ball up at times.

21 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I was thinking more so for the following years but I hope Harris can spell Watson at times this year.  It would be nice to give Watson a breather now and then and I can see Harris and Allen both playing a little point when Watson is out.  We should be pretty flexible with Palmer and even Roby being able to bring the ball up at times.

The fact that we're having these types of conversations in May and not about roster turnover is what gives this next season so much promise. We're not out of the clear yet, but it's already looking a whole lot better than the post-2014 offseason.

Like last year, we should have a versatile line up, predicated upon individual growth and development.   Look at the exponential growth tha Isaiah had between his freshman and sophomore years.  If we have growth across the line up, it should be cause for celebration 

37 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

The fact that we're having these types of conversations in May and not about roster turnover is what gives this next season so much promise. We're not out of the clear yet, but it's already looking a whole lot better than the post-2014 offseason.

Holy mixed metaphor, Batman!  Either of the following would be acceptable substitutes:

• "we're not out of the woods yet"
  • "we're not in the clear yet"

This concludes the @49r moment of pedantry for today!  ?

5 minutes ago, BigTate said:

Nice article about Amir in today's Omaha World Herald. 

“Amir has a chance to be an elite-level defender. He is long and athletic, and that is going to get him playing time immediately as a freshman. He creates offense with his ability on defense.’’

I know we bring back a lot of guys but when you look at our roster it's pretty easy to see that after the starters, even if Palmer and Copeland come back, things are wide open.

54 minutes ago, BigTate said:

Nice article about Amir in today's Omaha World Herald. 

“Amir has a chance to be an elite-level defender. He is long and athletic, and that is going to get him playing time immediately as a freshman. He creates offense with his ability on defense.’’

I'm not an on-line subscriber to the OWH. Who were they quoting who called Amir an elite-level defender?

26 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm not an on-line subscriber to the OWH. Who were they quoting who called Amir an elite-level defender?

I suspect it's his high school coach.

Now, which one of his high school coaches, I'm not sure.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:18 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Highlights tend to feature what a player is really good at and tend to avoid showing things a player isn't very good at.  They fill the highlight reel with what good things the kid does a lot of.  And so, you don't see a lot of Amir taking jumpers.  That probably tells us something.

That being said, things I like about Amir's film:

I'm thinking the kid can play pretty solid defense.  How many HS kids' recruiting film shows them playing a lot of defense?  This kid really anticipates well and gets in the passing lanes.  Reminds me of Cooke Belcher for those who remember how Cookie played D.  He also shows quick hands coming up with loose balls.  That's innate.  Amir also blocks a lot of shots. Oh, yeah, well, you say, he might be able to block high school kids' shots, but that doesn't mean he'll do those things in college.  That's true.  But look at the way he challenges jump shooters.  That kind of attitude does translate.  

For a 6'5" kid, he's pretty explosive taking the ball to the rim, seems to have good court vision, handles the ball well, has a good cross-over, and changes direction pretty well.

I concede that Xavier looks like he has better straight-line speed.  But Amir is pretty explosive himself, which is evident on some of those throw-down dunks.

I'm hoping/expecting the kid will develop that shot.  But he's got a lot of other tools that I don't think we got sloppy seconds out of those deal.  In fact, we might have gotten the better end of this deal.

Recruitniks who watch video of basketball prospects too often get fascinated with monster dunks and high-flying drives to the basket.

If you do that with Nebraska’s latest signee — guard Amir Harris from Hagerstown, Maryland — it means you’ll miss his best attribute, according to his high school coach.

“He brings a defensive intangible to the game,’’ Prete said. “We all worry about the offensive side so much that we sometimes forget what wins championships.

http://www.starherald.com/sports/big_red_wrap/mens_basketball/husker-signee-amir-harris-has-highlight-reel-attributes-could-be/article_e626a73b-9fcf-5eac-b972-d77f518bd82c.html

Wow!  That article is a must-read.  It has some encouraging stuff, suggesting that Nebrasketball got a “steal” in Harris.  For example:

1.  “Harris carries a 4.0 grade average.”  This is something you have to admire about Tim Miles—his recruits tend to be great students.

2.   Harris is “still 17 years old, which led to a slower-paced recruiting process from power conference schools.”  Harris is “one of those ‘late’ guys.’’

3.  Harris “played at three high schools in three years,” which hampered his visibility and development.

17 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Wow!  That article is a must-read.  It has some encouraging stuff, suggesting that Nebrasketball got a “steal” in Harris.  For example:

1.  “Harris carries a 4.0 grade average.”  This is something you have to admire about Tim Miles—his recruits tend to be great students.

2.   Harris is “still 17 years old, which led to a slower-paced recruiting process from power conference schools.”  Harris is “one of those ‘late’ guys.’’

3.  Harris “played at three high schools in three years,” which hampered his visibility and development.

Sounds great, although #3 is a bit of a red flag.

I agree with the notion that this kid gets on the court because of his defense.  At 6'5" and great leaping ability and speed, he's one who can truly help us switch on everything on the perimeter and continue to guard the 3 well.  Though not necessarily orthodox, he's a true pass first PG.  He's a really, really good pickup.  

• 3 months later...
On 8/24/2018 at 2:12 PM, AuroranHusker said:

Mark me down going with a baller like Amir Harris being an immediate impact player for Big Red.

I sure hope so. We really haven’t had many freshman make a major impact in the miles era. Shavon and Glynn are the only that come to mind

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, rwhiston said:

I sure hope so. We really haven’t had many freshman make a major impact in the miles era. Shavon and Glynn are the only that come to mind

I guess that depends on how you define major.  A couple things I have heard about Amir thus far.  1.  The coaches love him at the top in the 1-3-1 due to his length and athleticism.  2.  A+ athlete. 3.  Poor shooter.  I think Amir will play...and probably play quite a bit down the road this year.  I'm not expecting much in terms of scoring as I've heard he has quite a bit of work to do on his shot....but, I think he will be a key part in what we want to do defensively. 

23 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I guess that depends on how you define major.  A couple things I have heard about Amir thus far.  1.  The coaches love him at the top in the 1-3-1 due to his length and athleticism.  2.  A+ athlete. 3.  Poor shooter.  I think Amir will play...and probably play quite a bit down the road this year.  I'm not expecting much in terms of scoring as I've heard he has quite a bit of work to do on his shot....but, I think he will be a key part in what we want to do defensively. 

Sounds like an impact freshman not mentioned above: Tai Webster