Amir Harris is N

I am not sure that Amir can't shoot.  It perhaps is a safe assumption that it isn't his greatest strength.  If you looked at his various video's, he was not placed in a position that he needed to shoot.  He defended, he penetrated, and he either scored or distributed the ball off of that penetration.  It looked to me that his handles were effective enough that nobody could defend him on the perimeter.  He also was willing to do the dirty clean up work.  

A middle-aged wannabe coach can look at tape and say someone is this or that, but the body-of-work will not be gradable until he is on the floor with our team and our staff.  I do not think Amir is a sloppy second to Xavier, rather I believe we scored ourselves one of the top 200 players in the country who will complement our team moving forward.  

And yes...we need another big.  I am hoping that our staff has one in their back pocket.  I have heard a rumbling,  that if true, will bring a smile to our collective faces.  But that rumbling may be more of a wish than a fact, so we will see if anything spills out in the next month...

Edited by Huskerpapa

21 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am not sure that Amir can't shoot.  It perhaps is a safe assumption that it isn't his greatest strength.  If you looked at his various video's, he was not placed in a position that he needed to shoot.  He defended, he penetrated, and he either scored or distributed the ball off of that penetration.  It looked to me that his handles were effective enough that nobody could defend him on the perimeter.  He also was willing to do the dirty clean up work.  

A middle-aged wannabe coach can look at tape and say someone is this or that, but the body-of-work will not be gradable until he is on the floor with our team and our staff.  I do not think Amir is a sloppy second to Xavier, rather I believe we scored ourselves one of the top 200 players in the country who will complement our team moving forward.  

And yes...we need another big.  I am hoping that our staff has one in their back pocket.  I have heard a rumbling,  that if true, will bring a smile to our collective faces.  But that rumbling may be more of a wish than a fact, so we will see if anything spills out in the next month...

Thanks Papa just when I could get some sleep because Amir signs you come with the "we might have something going" bomb.?

Damn it man I need all the beauty rest I can get!!!?

Can’t shoot is a myth, inless his form is completely broken which it could very well be but I haven’t seen or heard it he probably just needs a few tweaks( come on gates ) or more shots in a gym. 

I think if they find out cope is coming back which they should within two weeks that the last open scholarship should be used for a transfer big that has to sit out this coming year. Your not going to get anyone of the quality we all want to come in if jordy roby cope all come back. There’s only 80 possible minutes to play between the 4 n 5. You would like to see roby get like 30. Cope get like 30. N jordy get like 20. 

28 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Can’t shoot is a myth, inless his form is completely broken which it could very well be but I haven’t seen or heard it he probably just needs a few tweaks( come on gates ) or more shots in a gym. 

I think if they find out cope is coming back which they should within two weeks that the last open scholarship should be used for a transfer big that has to sit out this coming year. Your not going to get anyone of the quality we all want to come in if jordy roby cope all come back. There’s only 80 possible minutes to play between the 4 n 5. You would like to see roby get like 30. Cope get like 30. N jordy get like 20. 

IMO...there's more than 80 minutes available there.   Roby and even Cope's athleticsm give some flexability.  Remember, we all thought Roby would be playing a lot at the 3 heading into last year.   Also not buying Jordy playing 20 mpg until he proves he can stay out of foul trouble.

And I think we can find someone.   This pickup doesn't have to be an all conference guy (though that wouldn't hurt) for it to fill the roll we need. 

IMO, we already have our redshirt big man in Heimann.   With him and Burke redshirting that already puts us down to 10 guys without filling the spot.   And that assumes no attrition and guys like Akenten and Thor develop along with Harris and Davis (who IMO won't) be ready to contribute.   Some extra depth, especially in the paint, is never a bad thing.

I think people forget how bad of a rebounding and interior defensive team we were at times last year.   That's our biggest weakness and if we can address it, it'd go along way into getting us where we want to be.

Edited by nustudent

55 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

You certainly don't know that it is a myth.  I actually found a clip of him shooting a three.  Shoots it down low, more of a set shot.  Much easier to make them that way and works in high school.  Need to be pretty open in college to do that.  Very tough to find stats on this guy.  

Edited by royalfan

Just now, Silverbacked1 said:

Also why shoot jump shots when I can beat every kid off the dribble and either have a lay up or dunk. (and maybe and1)?‍♂️

Love the rim, like the 3.

Good point.  Probably did not need to shoot a lot when you can get to the rim.  If he is that good of a slasher, he just has to be able to hit a set open 3 to keep teams honest.

3 hours ago, nustudent said:

No assuming, everyone comes back.

We need someone to fill post minutes alongside Jordy.   He's not exactly what I'm saying.   I certainly don't trust him to finish.   I certainly don't trust him to stay out of foul trouble.

I'm not writing him off.   I'm also not betting/relying on him.   Even the times where he played well...he couldn't avoid serious foul issues.  

I think the guy we already have (Jordy) is probably better than anyone we'll be able to pick up on the free agent market at this point.

He's still learning, still developing, has stone hands, but fabulous size.  His defense was improving even if his offense was a bit stagnant.  I expect he'll show further improvement this year.

Duby and Tanner combined for 315 minutes last year.  In 33 games, that means we gave less than 10 min/game in the post to players other than Isaac, Isaiah and Jordy.  If all three of those guys come back, do you really see that 10 min/game number increasing?

Here's a better question that will address available minutes:  Does Palmer move to the starting 2 and either Roby or Copeland to the 3?  Leaving Copeland or Roby at the 4 and then Jordy at the 5?

Best 5 players will start and get the bulk of the minutes.  So, right now, we're probably looking to see whether Thomas Allen is better at the 2 than Jordy is at the 5.  And the guys in between shift accordingly.

Edited by Norm Peterson

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

You certainly don't know that it is a myth.  I actually found a clip of him shooting a three.  Shoots it down low, more of a set shot.  Much easier to make them that way and works in high school.  Need to be pretty open in college to do that.  Very tough to find stats on this guy.  

I think I saw some stats for one of his AAU teams when I was digging. It might have been a small sample size but he did not shoot very many threes at all and of those he attempted only made a low percentage. When I get time I will see if I can find it again but was thinking it was only like 2 for 13 or something like that.

Thrilled to have him though.

35 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Isaiah Roby's shot came a very long way just from the end of his freshman year to his sophomore year.  It can be done.

In his freshman season, Roby hit 4 of 20 threes for a .200 percentage.  This past season he shot 17 of 42 threes for a .405 percentage.  At that rate of improvement, he should be over .800 next season.

Found some older film from when he was a sophomore and a junior and I think he has a better looking platform to build a shot on than Xavier did.  I think I mentioned when Xavier decommitted that it might be a blessing in disguise for me to not have to watch that ugly looking shot for the next 4 years.  I don't think that'll be the issue with Amir.  Take a look:

Following sophomore season (and that's him in the thumbnail, by the way; looks good to me):

Following junior season:

Edited by Norm Peterson

Thanks Norm.  The other video I had seen did not really have any jump shots.   This one is a much better reflection I think.   I agree that his shooting for looks better than the reviews or numbers might reflect - which is a good sign for future improvement.

45 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think the guy we already have (Jordy) is probably better than anyone we'll be able to pick up on the free agent market at this point.

He's still learning, still developing, has stone hands, but fabulous size.  His defense was improving even if his offense was a bit stagnant.  I expect he'll show further improvement this year.

Duby and Tanner combined for 315 minutes last year.  In 33 games, that means we gave less than 10 min/game in the post to players other than Isaac, Isaiah and Jordy.  If all three of those guys come back, do you really see that 10 min/game number increasing?

Here's a better question that will address available minutes:  Does Palmer move to the starting 2 and either Roby or Copeland to the 3?  Leaving Copeland or Roby at the 4 and then Jordy at the 5?

Best 5 players will start and get the bulk of the minutes.  So, right now, we're probably looking to see whether Thomas Allen is better at the 2 than Jordy is at the 5.  And the guys in between shift accordingly.

Good questions raised here.  With Amir on board, I think this allows us to permanently put Allen at the 2, where my guess is he will end up becoming an absolute assassin.  I want him to have Cary Cochran junior year numbers (9+ ppg).  With him in the lineup with GWIII, Palmer, Copeland, and Roby, literally every player can stretch the floor.  We'll get a ton of high percentage shots near the rim and wide open threes.  I think Jordy will provide a really nice changeup and, again, can help us match up with true 5s if need be.  Jordy is a beast against tired players, which is why his numbers improved so much off the bench last season.  I don't think the other team's fatigue changes Allen's game much if at all.  So, maybe next season's two deep looks something like this:

GWIII/Amir

Allen/KD

Palmer/Thor/Nana

Copeland/Grad Transfer/Heiman

Roby/Jordy

I think Glynn will play some 2 this coming season as well.  

I will be surprised if Heiman doesn'the redshirt to add bulk.  

I will not be surprised if we see Costello on the floor on occasion this season.  I was impressed by his three point ablity.  Not saying big minutes, but minutes nonetheless. 

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think he is 'probably' better too.   But it's certainly not a given.

I'm hopeful he improves as well too.   But I'd take the freshman Jordy over Sophomore Jordy.  So again, not a given.

Even if he does improve, it still does not mean there isn't a use or need.

It's tough to say on the need for thie 10 min/game increasing.   While on one hand, it's easy to say no since every one else came back.   It's also fair to say that it shouldn't be hard to find someone who is a better player than Duby/Borchardt and thus that might increase it.   If they got 10 minutes a game, what good a better player garner.

I mentioned your point about the Roby and Copeland opportunity at the 3 earlier and I think this is why we really could use another post.   This is an option for us and if we do this, we need more than just Jordy to play the 5.  

There's going to be your normal 8-9 man rotation.   Well, we know Burke isn't going to be in it.   Our open scholie (Borchardt) shouldn't be.   Highly unlikely Heimann is.   I personally don't think Davis will be ready.    That leaves only 9 guys left.   If the rumors are true about Akenten leaving or if him, Thor and Amir simply can't cut it/aren't ready, which are real possibilities, we get thin in a hurry.

That's why I am all for getting a grad transfer big.   Even if he is just an improved Okeke as a role player...it's ideal for us.   It doesn't tie it up long term with a marginial player and it gets us another body at a spot we needed help at last year and was our biggest deficiency.   

I think we have a clear cut top 6:   Watson/Allen/Palmer/Copeland/Roby/Jordy

Amir is imo probably your 7th guy and either Thor/Nana as your 8th.

We know Heimann and Burke aren't in the mix and Borchardt shouldn't be.  Davis is an unknown to me and IMO is a stretch.   At least for this year.   There's definitely a need for another capable body in that mix.

And this is assuming Copeland comes back.   If he doesn't, which I still fear is the far more likely scenario, we are real real thin up front.   It's partly why I think Copeland is more important than Palmer

Edited by nustudent

3 hours ago, nustudent said:

Amir is imo probably your 7th guy and either Thor/Nana as your 8th.

OK, I'm gonna take Thor over Nana.  If Thor can get his shot grooved, he's a lot lot better with the ball than Nana.  Sure, Nana can dunk really impressively, but he's got some work to do to be anything more than a situational 3-point shooter.  Thor actually has some hoops savvy.  The times he was on the floor last year, I thought he did some pretty nice things.  

35 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

OK, I'm gonna take Thor over Nana.  If Thor can get his shot grooved, he's a lot lot better with the ball than Nana.  Sure, Nana can dunk really impressively, but he's got some work to do to be anything more than a situational 3-point shooter.  Thor actually has some hoops savvy.  The times he was on the floor last year, I thought he did some pretty nice things.  

That'd be my bet as well.   Which makes it even easier to speculate about Nana's future/role here.

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

You seem pretty low on Davis? Is that a gut feeling or inside info about his injury recovery? And do tell about these nana rumors

Injury and didn't exactly play a lot this year.   Yes, I know his prep team was stacked...but he didnt start and  played less than half the game.   If he struggles to get playing time in high school (not everyone was the top ranked player) then I don't think he's going to come in and steal a bunch of time from seasoned collegiate athletes from Day One.

I'm much higher on Davis than most.  He's already experienced what most kids go through as freshmen-- learn how to live away from Mom & Dad, learn how to adapt to being a role player rather than big man on campus, etc.  Because of that (plus body type and skillset) I expect him to be more adaptable and willing to do whatever the coaches want him to from day one.  He appears to me to be the most versatile outside of our clear top 6 dudes, and that's exactly what you want out of the seventh and eighth guys in your rotation.  I'm calling it now: barring a slow injury recovery, he's a lock IMO to be in the regular rotation.

As for Nana, I didn't like his game coming out of HS and I haven't seen anything on the floor to change my mind.  Thor I have no opinion on, since I couldn't make heads or tales of his HS tape and I never saw him get meaningful minutes last year.  Harris' chance at decent minutes is contingent on what the coaches want to do with Allen.  If Allen is allowed to settle in exclusively as a SG, then Harris should get at least 5-8 MPG as Glynn's sole backup.  But if Allen still plays the combo guard role, then he'll just slide up to the 1 when Glynn rests and I don't see much time for Harris.

Edited by aphilso1