Redshirt

I'm beginning to wonder if red-shirting will be a thing of the past.  If I'm a coach, I'm not sure if I would redshirt an athlete as it just seems to open up a chance of that player transferring after he graduates.  Kids don't like it and it can work against them as well like with Logan Strom.  He took a redshirt his freshman year, and now transferred to UNO which means he has to sit out another year and lost a year of eligibility.   I'm guessing Miles will want Heiman to redshirt so we will see how that plays out.  

With the current trend of play me or I transfer mindset, tied with prep school access means fewer players will redshirt in my opinion.  Goodness, both Thor and Nana were prime redshirt candidates last year, and instead they became wasted years.

It is just the nature of the beast, and something we need to get used to. 

I worked with a coach this year (at the high school level) and he said when players realize their role and understand their abilities vs others....it becomes of huge burden off their chest and gives them Freedom to play hard and do things on the court that maximize their potential....

But like many things, this epiphany happens at different times in people's lives...some realize this in high school, others realize this in college and some don't realize it until they are done playing.

10 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I worked with a coach this year (at the high school level) and he said when players realize their role and understand their abilities vs others....it becomes of huge burden off their chest and gives them Freedom to play hard and do things on the court that maximize their potential....

But like many things, this epiphany happens at different times in people's lives...some realize this in high school, others realize this in college and some don't realize it until they are done playing.

There is a lot of truth to this.

It is far far more likely that we will have 1-2 transfers per year rather than 1-2 redshirts per year.  Players want instant gratification and if they don't get it, then they will probably transfer.  I wish players did what would be best for the team.  However, players these days usually only do what they think is best for them.

18 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I think one of the problems is the kids' roles change from high school to college. 

Going from being the man in high school to a role player in college is clearly a tough adjustment for some.

Yeah, if I'm picking over redshirt freshmen or transfers using their redshirts, I'm picking transfers every day of the week.  If you count the transfer sit-out years of TP, WP, JP, IC, AW as having "redshirted" during their transfer season, it's pretty damned obvious how beneficial a development year is.  So I wouldn't say redshirting is dead by any means, but it's certainly happening in a different way now.  

I agree it will be less common, but very few guys were redshirt over the last 15-16 years.  Miles has only redshirted Sergej and Fuller the entire time he has been here.  Gallegos, McCray, and Edwards (maybe Myles Holley) were the only recruits who redshirted for Doc.  I remember Doc complaining about losing recruits who refused to redshirt and basically stopped pushing redshirts afterward.  Gallegos, if memory serves correct, requested the redshirt between his sophomore and junior years.  It paid off well for him.  

I also think saving redshirts is a good idea to protect against injuries.  If the kid gets hurt 1/4 of the way through the season, he should be able to use the redshirt there.  Always felt bad for McCray when he lost a year after only playing 3 games.    

8 minutes ago, Donkey said:

I agree it will be less common, but very few guys were redshirt over the last 15-16 years.  Miles has only redshirted Sergej and Fuller the entire time he has been here.  Gallegos, McCray, and Edwards (maybe Myles Holley) were the only recruits who redshirted for Doc.  I remember Doc complaining about losing recruits who refused to redshirt and basically stopped pushing redshirts afterward.  Gallegos, if memory serves correct, requested the redshirt between his sophomore and junior years.  It paid off well for him.  

I also think saving redshirts is a good idea to protect against injuries.  If the kid gets hurt 1/4 of the way through the season, he should be able to use the redshirt there.  Always felt bad for McCray when he lost a year after only playing 3 games.    

I thought Doc planned on making it part of a strategy to compete against the power teams of college basketball thinking that older 5th year Seniors could play against more talented Freshmen but like you said it never really took off.  Didn't Brandon Richardson redshirt? 

7 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I thought Doc planned on making it part of a strategy to compete against the power teams of college basketball thinking that older 5th year Seniors could play against more talented Freshmen but like you said it never really took off.  Didn't Brandon Richardson redshirt? 

I do think that is the way schools without the blue chip name can compete...but getting the kids to buy in and do that is another thing.

I look at guys that emerge as juniors and have great Senior years.....with a redshirt, if they emerge as Sophomores, I think the last two years could be amazing.

But if guys won't do it....hard to implement that plan.

27 minutes ago, Donkey said:

Good post, but just FYI for accuracy:  Doc also redshirted Alex Chapman and Brandon Richardson (and Mike Fox and Kye Kurkowski as walk-ons).   Holley didn't red shirt.  Sergej did not redshirt.  

Edited by HB

Redhsirting still seems mostly appropriate for bigs who need the time for proper physical development to play in leagues with bulked up upperclassmen. If your recruiting is good, you shouldn't need to redshirt anyone else, and the depth you recruit to fill out your bench is unlikely to develop into star material with an extra year anyway, so their gain is marginal. I think players now have a much better idea of where they fit in the sporting universe, and with the dramatic expansion of professional playing options, they know if they have any kind of game in D1 ball, they'll land a job somewhere. If there's a diamond in the rough, it'll come out during the course of a season, at least in practice. When guys are still benchwarmers at the end of a freshmen season, that's pretty much all they were ever going to be. They're depth or practice talent. Nothing more.