Romeo Langford's decision

jayschool

Of course we're not in it (Kansas, Vanderbilt and Indiana), but this is an interesting lede from Seth Davis in The Athletic:

When I was covering high school sports for the New Haven Register many moons ago, a local basketball coach named Gary Palladino, who worked at Notre Dame High School in West Haven, explained the sport this way: “Basketball is 70 percent talent, 20 percent coaching and 10 percent luck.” That was more than 20 years ago, and I have yet to hear anyone lay it out any better than that.

Keep that in mind later tonight, when one of the most anticipated recruiting decisions of the year will be made. Romeo Langford, a 6-foot-5 guard from New Albany (Ind.) high, will announce his decision in front of what will likely be a packed gymnasium at his high school. Langford’s final choices are Indiana, Kansas and Vanderbilt. 

It’s dangerous to try to read the tea leaves in recruiting, but the hometown Hoosiers have been widely considered to be the team to beat from the beginning. Needless to say, that’s what the local fans would prefer. It would be quite a risk for Langford to get everyone together, draw so much attention to his decision and then reveal that he is headed elsewhere.

Did Langford drag out his decision this long because he wanted to generate as much suspense and hype as he could? Or has he been genuinely undecided? We’ll never know, I suppose, but it’s a stark indicator of who really has the power in these situations. It’s also a dangerous game to play.

11 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Is Seth saying that basketball players have too much power? Because that seems like a pretty hot take to me. 

That's what it sounds like. He then wrote about the Harrison Barnes drama and how that only put pressure on Barnes to live up to his own hype.

Maybe the Romeo Langfords of the world have the power in such a dynamic. But it's not as if KU is going to shrivel and die if he chooses IU. And lower-ranked players certainly don't feel so powerful. 

Nice hair, BTW.

Edited by jayschool

2 hours ago, jayschool said:

That's what it sounds like. He then wrote about the Harrison Barnes drama and how that only put pressure on Barnes to live up to his own hype.

Maybe the Romeo Langfords of the world have the power in such a dynamic. But it's not as if KU is going to shrivel and die if he chooses IU. And lower-ranked players certainly don't feel so powerful. 

Nice hair, BTW.

I guess I can follow the logic of putting too much pressure on yourself and the fallout from not performing to match that hype. I just have a hard time understanding the people with the "poor school/poor coach/poor owner" mindset because, like you said, the higher-ups aren't going away any time soon.

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

So I've read that quote about 15 times now and I'm still to comprehend what the relevance of that anecdotal information and the Langford decision are. 

It's a pay site, so I won't paste the entire article; however, he describes the lengths coaches go to in order to attract the Romeo Langfords of the world is, and then reaches this conclusion:

Every coach understands that it doesn’t matter how great you are at drawing up plays. You need players. As the old saying goes, “It’s not about the X’s and O’s, it’s about the Jimmys and Joes.” So they're not worried about sacrificing a little pride if it means improving that all-important 70 percent category.

47 minutes ago, jayschool said:

It's a pay site, so I won't paste the entire article; however, he describes the lengths coaches go to in order to attract the Romeo Langfords of the world is, and then reaches this conclusion:

Every coach understands that it doesn’t matter how great you are at drawing up plays. You need players. As the old saying goes, “It’s not about the X’s and O’s, it’s about the Jimmys and Joes.” So they're not worried about sacrificing a little pride if it means improving that all-important 70 percent category.

"If you can't coach, recruit"