New assistant - Armon Gates

reddan

26 minutes ago, Red Don said:

[IMG]   I'm a little surprised there isn't more discussion here regarding the hire of Armon Gates following the announcement (particularly since there were six pages of drama leading up to the hire).  Good Hire?  Bad Hire?  Coaches skill set, responsibilities (following the departure of Kenya), Recruiting acumen, Longevity (i.e. only a 2-yr contract), etc?  You know, all the good stuff!

Isn't anyone else all that interested; or is it just the off-season and we're waiting for news about who is returning and likely signees?

Probably because it's been so hashed out and the hire was anti-climatic and it's a really good hire.  We replaced our best recruiter with a guy noted for recruiting.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think our assistants are typically on 1 year contracts so "only a 2-yr contract" is the wrong sentiment....Gates is the only one with a job if Miles gets fired after the next season. Gates' salary of 256k? is a savings over the 300k (or 320k we offered) for Hunter. 

Speaking of salary it would appear that Gates took a 100k paycut to come here.  There's already speculation in this thread on why Gates left Florida.

We just aren’t used to actual good things happening. 

Did anyone catch robin washut on Omaha 590? This evening? I was driving home and caught some of it, he basically said he has always expected palmer would be back and he now expects Copeland to be back too(inless he gets a good euro offer). What a turn of events this could all be. Potentially return all of our “skill” players. I don’t think we have a replacement for Taylor’s tenacity but we definitely have other 2”s that can bring different skills to the table. 

I didn't see this posted elsewhere, sorry if it's duplicated. It's from a Chicago paper, so pretty well sourced on Gates' end. Gives you a pretty good idea of the perilous life of a basketball assistant.

According to multiple sources, White began feeling uncomfortable with the overall dynamic and makeup of the staff he put together. The head coach is the boss and usually has unyielding power in the program he runs. Thus, White made the move he felt was necessary for himself and the program, no matter the odd timing of it or the repercussions.

https://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2018/05/03/armon-gates-circuitous-journey-college-assistant-coaches/

Gotta love this part of the article and what it demonstrates about Nebrasketball’s standing in the world of high-major college basketball:

“But Gates was immediately a hot commodity . . . There were no concerns from any of the programs or head coaches in pursuit. By this past weekend, . . . he was entertaining multiple high-major offers.”

All-Devaney_ph34r.png   I'm a little surprised there isn't more discussion here regarding the hire of Armon Gates following the announcement (particularly since there were six pages of drama leading up to the hire).  Good Hire?  Bad Hire?  Coaches skill set, responsibilities (following the departure of Kenya), Recruiting acumen, Longevity (i.e. only a 2-yr contract), etc?  You know, all the good stuff!

Isn't anyone else all that interested; or is it just the off-season and we're waiting for news about who is returning and likely signees?
I think it needed a new thread honestly. Plus it's the off season. Plus it's good news.

10 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Okay conspiracy theory time.?

Tim will be fired at the end of the year or sooner and Lewis will be named head coach.

That is why Gates was brought in, to help shore up what they will need going forward.

Da, da daaaaaa?

I sure hope Moos would have a better plan than that... ?

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Area 51?  Aliens?  Book of Secrets?  WHAT SAY YOU!?!?!  ?

Oh, c'mon, Area 51?  Aliens?  What kind of gullible conspiracy theorist are you?

Besides, it's obvious this has the Bilderbergs' fingerprints all over it.

Maybe the Bilderbergs want us to win an NCAA tourney game?

44 minutes ago, kleitus said:

How about we conspire to win the b1g and (fill in the blank with your insult of choice toward those who won't like it) in the process.

Keep Palmer and Copeland, grab a senior transfer or two and let's kick some ass.

I'm looking forward to making the drive to Minneapolis during the first week of April.

49 minutes ago, kleitus said:

How about we conspire to win the b1g and (fill in the blank with your insult of choice toward those who won't like it) in the process.

Keep Palmer and Copeland, grab a senior transfer or two and let's kick some ass.

Problem with senior transfers is that we're already top-loaded.  I'd rather have some unknown phenom from Lithuania fall into our laps as an immediately eligible freshman who plays two years for us before being the overall #5 pick in the 2020 NBA draft.

OK, a fella can dream, right?

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

Problem with senior transfers is that we're already top-loaded.  I'd rather have some unknown phenom from Lithuania fall into our laps as an immediately eligible freshman who plays two years for us before being the overall #5 pick in the 2020 NBA draft.

OK, a fella can dream, right?

I would like two (twin brothers)...If you are going to dream, dream big.

I just look at it thus way.. 

Top loaded?  Don't care.  Miles can worry about loading up the young recruits for next year.

That's why gates is here.  And that's who we need to go after anyway.

Win this year.  A lot.  If you do enough, you'll get the talent.

So yeah.. If a senior stud wants a home go get him and stop overthinking it.