New assistant - Armon Gates

reddan

54 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

So they let him go because White decided he gave gates to much power as an assistant head coach? Is that how everyone else interprets the article?

certainly seems like their blunder will be our gain. 

Dont read too much into the suggestions here. There isn’t much  real substance. 

In the realm of speculation and looking-for-coincidences, check this out (rankings are from Rivals):

In the 2016 class, Florida signed one three-stars and one four-stars basketball recruits;

In the 2017 class, Florida signed three three-stars and one four-stars basketball recruits;

In October and November of 2017, Florida received commitments from two four-stars and one five-stars basketball recruits for the 2018 class;

In early December 2017, news sources say that Florida follows a few other SEC schools from Nike to a Jordan Brand apparel contract; and

A new coach''s expressions of concern about recruiting practices could sour relationships with a head coach.

Just speculating! 

Edited by Swan88

Just now, trickey said:

This has been my early speculation. Gates came from a clean NW program. Then he shows up in Florida only to discover the head coach has differing expectations of how to land a recruit.

Gates does not want to meet the FBI...so he leaves.

This logic is consistent with what I have heard about the Burno incident and historical Florida recruiting practices.

2 hours ago, Jugular said:

This whole thing is just bizarre. I’m not complaining though

It seems that the biggest breaks we've gotten out of this program in the last 6 years has been through bizarre hires and commitments as well as finding a diamond in the rough every now and then.

Like with most things, if the facts are not supplied, rumors and/or speculation is allowed to run rampant.   This appears to be a terrific hire and, if true, should be a very significant feather in Coach Miles' hat.  Again, if true, it will be a pleasure to refocus on the jimmy's and joe's!

3 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Interesting... is this like the "hair on the legs" test for evaluating players?

"STEP RIGHT UP AND GET YOUR COLON CHECKED!"

It's why I prefer checking the semicolon. 

Less blow back.

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I was thinking about how there had been an unusual amount of drama this offseason. Upon further reflection, it's probably below the last couple of years. 

That's funny because I had been thinking how drama-free things have been with the program this offseason, relatively speaking.

It's on the message boards where all the drama is.  I think it's because we go through withdrawals after the season ends and some of us act out a bit.

"Two sources with knowledge of the situation on Thursday said Gates will join the Huskers at the same level and pay grade as current NU aides Jim Molinari and Michael Lewis. Gates spent five years as an assistant at Northwestern and less than a month at Florida after joining the Gators staff April 8. "

Edited by 49r

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, reddan said:

New guy has been picked. Big ten ties but currently in SEC. They are excited about the hire. One time assistant at Northwestern I think. 

This is getting just a bit weird, imo.

A week ago Saturday, reddan proves, perhaps for the first time, that his source actually has access to some information.  Ten minutes later, ajb chimes in and seems to be aware of the same rumor.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:38 PM, ajb5856 said:

Interesting as I think he was only at Florida for 2 weeks.

By 5:00 p.m. that same day, there's some serious smoke.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:10 PM, Swan88 said:

It's clear the guy is gone from Florida, though it's very fuzzy as to why.  Some hints seem to suggest there was an undisclosed problem with him; other hints suggest the Florida coach just changed his mind and left Gates hanging.  We've had legit news sources, who hold themselves to higher journalistic standards than your typical blog or message board, report that unnamed sources confirm this is happening, yet ...

There's been no smoke signals whatsoever from the university, not even a frickin' official tweet from Brian Rosenthal.

And Gates's twitter profile still shows the Florida Gators basketball floor.

Exactly what are they waiting for?