New assistant - Armon Gates

reddan

Seems like a crazy good get for miles if he gets him. Would he become our associate head coach? 

Wonder what happened at florida that makes you leave after getting the job what 25 days ago?

Sometimes the fit just doesn’t turn out how you thought it would

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

FIFY

We know that Burno was shown the door at DONU because he insisted that he needed to pay players to recruit. Thus the assumption is that he was doing so at Florida and then with Bobby Hurley at ASU. I wonder if we will see Florida hit with an FBI indictment any time soon?

10 hours ago, MilesDavis said:

He said nothing is confirmed but all signs point to this is happening.

That seems consistent. Either he's going to decide to come here or he will decide to not come here and maybe go somewhere else. Seems like not being at Florida is the most sure thing of an uncertain situation.

Finally.  Something halfway official....

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/driving-for-bunch-s-story-perhaps-more-interesting-than-we/article_62e94548-4cae-11e8-962f-0be5632abf3b.html

All signs are pointing to Florida associate head coach Armon Gates joining the Nebraska basketball program as a top assistant, according to Robin Washut of HuskerOnline.com.

This could be an interesting development considering Gates just left Northwestern for Florida on April 8.

He spent five seasons at Northwestern and before that, three under Porter Moser at Loyola-Chicago.

Perhaps Gates feels more comfortable near the Big Ten footprint, specifically the Chicago area.

Or maybe Nebraska, ahem, showed him the money.

At any rate, Gates on the surface would appear to be a hire that would make sense for Tim Miles -- so long as Gates could come in and be an impact recruiter immediately.

Kenya Hunter won’t be easy to replace.

Edited by HuskerCager

20 minutes ago, 49r said:

Holy mixed signals, Batman!

To unmix things I'd say Gates is the guy on top of our list and gets the job assuming he doesn't end up going somewhere else or staying at Florida. Otherwise, much like in recruiting, it's on to the next guy.

13 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

To unmix things I'd say Gates is the guy on top of our list and gets the job assuming he doesn't end up going somewhere else or staying at Florida. Otherwise, much like in recruiting, it's on to the next guy.

Yeah that's pretty much the same conclusion I reached.  Just two really different reporting styles.

In any event, I hope this gets done sooner rather than later.  It'll be good to have something new to chit-chat about.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

In any event, I hope this gets done sooner rather than later.  It'll be good to have something new to chit-chat about.

yeah, I haven't heard of hardly any of those bands on the "Really OT" thread, so I'm lost there.  

I could be completely wrong, but something still feels off to me about this whole Gates situation. I just find it hard to believe he realized he didn't like Florida after a couple weeks of courting recruits for them and quits his job. Again, I am probably wrong, but just very odd to me.

On 4/28/2018 at 5:10 PM, Swan88 said:

Interesting to see the comments from Florida's perspective:

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Reply/GatorsANDlfc-Reply-117874101

"The most ITK insider on Gator BB I know said that he's gone and it's 100% UF/White's decision. Said he can't give specifics, so I'm not sure what happened, maybe something missed in vetting process."

15 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

I could be completely wrong, but something still feels off to me about this whole Gates situation. I just find it hard to believe he realized he didn't like Florida after a couple weeks of courting recruits for them and quits his job. Again, I am probably wrong, but just very odd to me.

Something is definitely off here. On one account Gates is a done deal to Nebraska. But if so, why does Miles say just last night that the job is still open and there are at least 4 candidates? If Gates is the guy but it’s just not time to announce it yet why can’t he say announcement coming?

6 minutes ago, 49r said:

Interesting to see the comments from Florida's perspective:

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Reply/GatorsANDlfc-Reply-117874101

"The most ITK insider on Gator BB I know said that he's gone and it's 100% UF/White's decision. Said he can't give specifics, so I'm not sure what happened, maybe something missed in vetting process."

Oooh. When I first heard of Gates this last Saturday, it was told to me that he was fired by Florida. So maybe the hold up on our end is finding out what he actually did. Makes sense when reading the tweets about Gates from the Florida people saying things like “crazy rumors” about Gates and “trying to get the real story”. 

19 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

He will not be staying at Florida. 

Florida has made this decision, and is allowing Gates this time to explore options before officially announcing the separation.

Nebrasaka is vetting Gates and the circumstances. 

This is not an assured hire. 

34 minutes ago, ajb5856 said:

Something is definitely off here. On one account Gates is a done deal to Nebraska. But if so, why does Miles say just last night that the job is still open and there are at least 4 candidates? If Gates is the guy but it’s just not time to announce it yet why can’t he say announcement coming?

It's not done until it's done

Even if Gates isn't going back to Florida as indicated above either party can still get cold feet.  It's best not to burn through plan B, C, and D I would think.