Dachon Burke is N

hhcmatt

16 hours ago, 49r said:

Dachon Burke
11 · Orange, NJ

Ht Wt Yr G %Min ORtg %Poss %Shots eFG% TS% OR% DR% ARate TORate Blk% Stl% FC/40 FD/40 FTRate FTM-A Pct 2PM-A Pct 3PM-A Pct
SF
253 Robert Morris 
National Rank
6-4 180 So 32 78.8
102.6 28.2
50.7 52.8 6.0 13.9 19.2
16.5 1.7 3.6
3.1 4.9
34.1 98-156 .628 166-328 .506 44-130 .338
  Conference-only
Conference Rank
      18 81.4
106.6 28.7
13.4 19.6
3.2 4.9
56-88 .636 102-188 .543
25-78 .321
  vs. Tier A+B*       4 60.5 83.5 27.3 28.9 40.7 45.5 3.0 16.9 15.4 20.9 0.9 3.9 4.0 4.7 29.6 12-16 .750 19-44 .432 2-10 .200
  vs. Tier A*       2 51.7 90.5 25.9 29.1 46.6 47.8 2.9 19.2 25.3 19.3 1.5 2.5 2.6 3.4 17.2 3-5 .600 12-21 .571 1-8 .125
      Similar: Desmar Jackson '11 (933), Matt Scott '16 (929), Justin Edwards '13 (927), Troy Huff '12 (925), Isaiah Walton '17 (924)
SF
266 Robert Morris 
National Rank
6-4 180 Fr 33 57.0 90.3 20.4 21.8 45.1 49.0 7.0 12.3 7.5 21.5 1.6 3.9
3.9 3.5 28.3 47-64 .734 81-182 .445 14-44 .318
  Conference-only
Conference Rank
      18 70.1 97.1 20.1 22.1
12.2 6.4 19.7 1.1
3.5 3.6 29.6 32-45 .711
59-123 .480 11-29 .379
  vs. Tier A+B*       6 33.3 77.2 18.6 17.6 44.7 50.2 8.0 11.1 9.8 31.3 2.6 2.9 4.0 2.6 21.1 4-4 .999 7-16 .438 1-3 .333
  vs. Tier A*       3 40.0 85.2 17.0 17.2 50.0 54.4 6.3 8.5 7.0 28.8 2.3 3.7 4.2 2.6 18.2 2-2 .999 4-9 .444 1-2 .500
      Similar: Ke'Ron Brown '13 (928), Aaric Armstead '14 (926), Greg Avery '09 (920), Khaleen Pinkett '15 (919), Prince Okoroh '12 (916)
Career     145-220 .659 247-510 .484 58-174 .333
*Tier A and B represent top 50 and top 100 opponents, respectively, adjusted for game location. See game logs below for specific games.
Position identification is based on an algorithm using play-by-data.

The biggest downside is that he's just an average shooter. He's shooting low 30s for anything outside of the lane.

image.png

The biggest upside? Dude got to the rim 50% of the time!!

For perspective, Palmer had 32.4% of his shots in the paint last year.  Ed Morrow in his last year here took 56.6% of his shots in the paint. If you're looking for a guard comparison, Mo Watson from the Jays got to the rim for approximately 50% of his shots.

It's probable that he won't get there as much against competition but we have an elite slashing guard for a Miles offense that runs a lot better with elite slashing guards.

Burke seems to be good enough at finding teammates and gets to the FT line at almost a Tai Webster-esque rate.

32 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

The biggest downside is that he's just an average shooter. He's shooting low 30s for anything outside of the lane.

image.png

Hopefully w a year to work on things and the right assistant coaching hire he gets that 3 point percentage up to the 35-37% range and gets that FT % into atleast the 70s. Some of his low percentage issues could be due to his high lights showing him taking a lot of tough shots too. 

I'm going to get blasted for this, but he reminds me of Bo Spencer.  That is not a good thing IMO.  I'm not the biggest fan of the volume scorer type... aka Allen Iverson type.  I like guys that shoot at a high percentage and take smart shots.  I'm just tired of hero ball, and I feel he is the next guy to be Miles all or nothing player.  I would like to see a team of players that play together, and move the ball around efficiently.  I hope I am wrong and he ends up being a DiVincenzo type of player. Then he would fill both Priority 3 and 4 listed below.

I also want to utilize our teams biggest strength Isaiah Roby.  He needs to be shooting/dunking 10+ times a game.  He needs to be used more, and there is no denying it! 

I liked Petteway

I liked Shields

I liked Webster

and I like Palmer

^^^ It takes way more than having one player that can take the ball to the rim off the dribble.  It is pointless to have a Petteway, Shields, Webster, Palmer and now Dachon Burke... If you don't have anyone for them to pass to at the 3 point line.  The reason I believe that is because one trick pony's are extremely easy to defend.

Here is what I thing this team needs currently

• Priority 1 = PG (Watson has one more year)
  • Priority 2 = Serviceable Post player... We have Jordy,Tanner and Heiman(No way is he ready for Big 10 basketball) next year.  Also not sure Jordy will still be with us either
  • Priority 3 =  Another 3 Point Shooter (To help out Thomas Allen)
  • Priorty 4 = Drive to the basket SG/SF <- This is what we just got

Not saying he is a bad pick up, because he is a very good player.  Just not the highest on the priority list IMO

I wonder how many down votes I am going to get for this one?  Either way it is all just my opinion, and Miles know the team better than I do.

Edited by big red22

18 minutes ago, big red22 said:

I'm going to get blasted for this, but he reminds me of Bo Spencer.  That is not a good thing IMO.  I'm not the biggest fan of the volume scorer type... aka Allen Iverson type.  I like guys that shoot at a high percentage and take smart shots.  I'm just tired of hero ball, and I feel he is the next guy to be Miles all or nothing player.  I would like to see a team of players that play together, and move the ball around efficiently.  I hope I am wrong and he ends up being a DiVincenzo type of player. Then he would fill both Priority 3 and 4 listed below.

I also want to utilize our teams biggest strength Isaiah Roby.  He needs to be shooting/dunking 10+ times a game.  He needs to be used more, and there is no denying it! 

I liked Petteway

I liked Shields

I liked Webster

and I like Palmer

^^^ It takes way more than having one player that can take the ball to the rim off the dribble.  It is pointless to have a Petteway, Shields, Webster, Palmer and now Dachon Burke... If you don't have anyone for them to pass to at the 3 point line.  The reason I believe that is because one trick pony's are extremely easy to defend.

• Priority 2 = Serviceable Post player... We have Jordy,Tanner and Heiman(No way is he ready for Big 10 basketball) next year.  Also not sure Jordy will still be with us either

Not saying he is a bad pick up, because he is a very good player.  Just not the highest on the priority list IMO

I wonder how many down votes I am going to get for this one?  Either way it is all just my opinion, and Miles know the team better than I do.

I was thinking the same thing.  Hopefully he is not one of those volume shooters and was just the main scorer on Robert Morris and they needed him to do that.  Some guys need their ups or they struggle to score while others just do their thing and fill in with the team concept.

11 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Thanks, Dimes, for this detailed information.

Hmmm . . . here’s guessing that 52.3% on assisted 3s is a positive sign.  Is this guess accurate?

I pulled the numbers from hoops-math.com. I think Bartovik also provides the breakdown between 2pt shots in the paint and not in the paint though this site is easy for me to find it.

http://hoop-math.com/Nebraska2018.php

http://hoop-math.com/RobertMorris2018.php

If you look at our assisted 3pt% numbers you'll see that they're all above 70%.  That means almost all of our 3pt shots came off a passes.

If you look around it's common for the 3pt shot to come via assist

Burke was doing what we like to call "jackin' threes".  If you remember Petteway's style of dribbling and deciding to take a 3, his assist % were similar to Burke's

Is this is a positive? It depends on where he falls between being able to get his own shot and being able to get his own bad shot.

It's possible that with better teammates Burke might be able to shoot off the catch more for us. It's possible he's a better shooter when set up. 

30 minutes ago, big red22 said:

I liked Petteway

I liked Shields

I liked Webster

and I like Palmer

Here's the thing you're not accounting for when talking about prioritizing needs: how do you get guys higher on your priority list to commit first without losing other guys ready to commit?  Xavier Johnson or Amir Harris might come here. They also might not. Should we let Burke go and then at the end of the day if we're striking out finish the roster with lesser talent guys or none?  

In terms of your wants it seems like you are looking for players for this year whereas Burke is potentially the Palmer replacement for the year after.  Thus while Burke isn't necessarily a priority for this year, he probably is next year.

Priority 1: Is it eventually Thomas?  Otherwise it looks like we're trying to land a PG with the offer to Amir Harris

Priority 2: We have an offer out to Francisco Caffaro

Priority 3: Are we going to fill this internally like with Nana, Thorir, or simply just more volume from Roby? Is this Karrington Davis a shooter?

Does Burke need to shoot in order to be effective?  He played plenty of minutes as a freshman without dominating shots.  We can hope that it's in his nature to take less shots if it benefits the team in much the same way we can hope Roby will take more shots.

His highlights and non-scoring defensive stats (2+ steals and ~6 rbs a game) scream high energy playmaker to me.  Offensively, he plays similarly to James in terms of scoring.  I almost wonder if he'll be groomed to play point.  Looks like he's got handles, and I'm hoping Allen gets to do nothing but run around the perimeter and sink daggers for the next three years.  TA is not a PG.  

Miles said Burke is comfortable on the perimeter with ball in hand or working off screens to slash to the basket or set up jumpers. He was a candidate for his league’s defensive player of the year award, too, after leading the NEC in steals at 2.1 a game.

“He needs to shoot the 3 better,” Miles said. “But he’s really quick and rebounds like crazy. He is very, very quick to the ball and smart. 

So, he has D1 experience and won’t have the freshman jitters, has high energy, rebounds like crazy, and led his conference in steals per game.  I’ll take it!