2019 PG Shareef Mitchell

reddan

9 minutes ago, WestOHusker said:

That the youth of Omaha view Creighton in a higher regard than Nebraska when it comes to basketball. Thought I was quoting the tweet showing young Mr. Mitchell’s comments on 1620

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The youth may or may not hold Creighton in higher regard. Obviously Mitchell does but he does not represent all of the youth of Omaha.

This stuff goes in cycles and is obviously not permanent.  There was a time not too long ago that the opposite view held sway.

If Nebraska football returned to prominence, it would help. You can't help but be a Husker fan on football Saturdays in this state (unless you're trying hard not to be -- looking at you, Motz family) and that'll have some carryover to kids in all sports.  And if we put it together, regardless where our current players hail from, you'll eventually get metro kids who'll want to come here.  The pendulum swings.  That's what pendulums do.  It'll swing back this direction at some point.  Just like it swung away.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

This stuff goes in cycles and is obviously not permanent.  There was a time not too long ago that the opposite view held sway.

If Nebraska football returned to prominence, it would help. You can't help but be a Husker fan on football Saturdays in this state (unless you're trying hard not to be -- looking at you, Motz family) and that'll have some carryover to kids in all sports.  And if we put it together, regardless where our current players hail from, you'll eventually get metro kids who'll want to come here.  The pendulum swings.  That's what pendulums do.  It'll swing back this direction at some point.  Just like it swung away.

I think we can close the gap some, but I don’t see some huge swing coming.   I don’t see Creighton falling off to the extent they did in the early 90s, nor do I see us having a run like the early 90s again.  

Plus until we start trying to recruit Omaha, we’ll always be second 

3 hours ago, nustudent said:

I think we can close the gap some, but I don’t see some huge swing coming.   I don’t see Creighton falling off to the extent they did in the early 90s, nor do I see us having a run like the early 90s again.  

Well, we were the first to offer Hepburn, so I guess we're trying...

9 hours ago, nustudent said:

Predictions turn out to be accurate only when made after the fact.  

The odds of this prediction being 100% true in the future are significantly less than 30%.

Who would have predicted, for example, that in the past two years, with a first round pick and an early second round pick on their roster, the Jays would fail to win a single NCAA Tournament game—and wouldn’t even win a Conference Tournament game last season.

On 7/13/2018 at 6:31 PM, aphilso1 said:

To summarize: "Nothing against Nebraska but...lol just kidding, here's a bunch of stuff against Nebraska..."

Gonna be easy to root against this kid.  Today I am ashamed to be a Burke alum myself.

To be fair, that’s probably what you should expect a kid to say when asked about a school you just committed to vs a school he did not have an offer from. 

4 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Was that a recent development?  If so, what is the change based on?  AAU play?

Happened back in May. I'm not quite sure how it works, though. He shows up as 141 in their own rankings and 135 in their composite. Yet they show only one major service as having evaluated him (which would be them, I believe). So how is his composite ranking higher than his 247 ranking? I don't get it. But one of the 247 guys saw him play in the spring and was impressed.

3 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Happened back in May. I'm not quite sure how it works, though. He shows up as 141 in their own rankings and 135 in their composite. Yet they show only one major service as having evaluated him (which would be them, I believe). So how is his composite ranking higher than his 247 ranking? I don't get it. But one of the 247 guys saw him play in the spring and was impressed.

I don't want to disrespect the young man, but the 247 dude must have watched a different young man than the player I watched about a half dozen times.  Perhaps he has matured and will continue to evolve into the player many on this board believes will occur.

8 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I don't want to disrespect the young man, but the 247 dude must have watched a different young man than the player I watched about a half dozen times.  Perhaps he has matured and will continue to evolve into the player many on this board believes will occur.

And now that he's committed to Creighton, he's the greatest prospect in the history of college basketball.  Check out the fawning article in the OWH this morning.   Omaha and its media love them some Jays. 

10 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I don't know I have watch him a lot the last 2 years and I think he was easily the best player in the state and as we are seeing there is some talent in NE right now. So that 150ish ranking does not surprise me at all. I am curious as to what you saw that you did not like? He really does remind me of a young GW, who knows if he will take it to the next level at Creighton but I think he has earned the rating and hope he does well except against us.

4 hours ago, HB said:

And now that he's committed to Creighton, he's the greatest prospect in the history of college basketball.  Check out the fawning article in the OWH this morning.   Omaha and its media love them some Jays. 

You realize the Creighton coverage even in Omaha doesn't come anywhere close to the Nebraska coverage, right? As for a "fawning article," what would you expect when the best player in the state commits to stay home? The story wouldn't have been all that much different had he chosen Nebraska. "Omaha media" has been talking up Shereef for quite some time – well before Creighton offered – because he deserves it.  

3 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

I don't know I have watch him a lot the last 2 years and I think he was easily the best player in the state and as we are seeing there is some talent in NE right now. So that 150ish ranking does not surprise me at all. I am curious as to what you saw that you did not like? He really does remind me of a young GW, who knows if he will take it to the next level at Creighton but I think he has earned the rating and hope he does well except against us.

I thought his shot was eradicate at best.  He was quick but his on-ball defense was MIA.  The games I saw, he took plays off and he sometimes lost site of his teammates.  That doesn't make him bad, but it did cast doubts about what he would be like at the next level.  I didn't see him as a young GW, if I were going to compare him to any Husker, it would be Tarin Smith.

1 minute ago, Huskerpapa said:

I thought his shot was eradicate at best.  He was quick but his on-ball defense was MIA.  The games I saw, he took plays off and he sometimes lost site of his teammates.  That doesn't make him bad, but it did cast doubts about what he would be like at the next level.  I didn't see him as a young GW, if I were going to compare him to any Husker, it would be Tarin Smith.

Man, I do not see T Smith at all but I will give you the concern on his shot at the next level. That and physical strength were my only two concerns. He has worked on his shot a lot and although I would not consider him a snipper by any means you definitely have to guard him out there. Strongly disagree on the defense though, maybe he is not locked in all the time but when he is he is a menace on defense, guys did not even want to dribble against him sometimes.

1 hour ago, Jacob Padilla said:

You realize the Creighton coverage even in Omaha doesn't come anywhere close to the Nebraska coverage, right? As for a "fawning article," what would you expect when the best player in the state commits to stay home? The story wouldn't have been all that much different had he chosen Nebraska. "Omaha media" has been talking up Shereef for quite some time – well before Creighton offered – because he deserves it.  

With all due respect (and I mean that; I appreciate your contributions to this site), I wouldn't have expected something quite so over the top when it comes to the alleged best player in the state staying in his home city.     And I do think it would have been different had he chosen Nebraska.   In that instance, it would have at least been mentioned that he didn't, as of yet, have consensus high ratings from the services and no power 5 offers to speak of.   In any event, I  seemed to have hit a nerve about your beloved city and team.  But go through the last month and with a straight face tell me that Creighton coverage doesn't come anywhere near coverage of Nebraska basketball in Omaha (and don't bring football into it; this is a basketball discussion).    I'm glad you think Mitchell deserves such universal and exuberant praise; you may end up being right.   Others have watched him and have the right to weigh in as well.    

On 7/12/2018 at 8:53 AM, uneblinstu said:

I'm not trying to say Mitchell will blossom into an NBA guy. The odds of that are long, just that NU seems to be conceding Omaha. That can't happen.

We have Hepburn and now Akol Arop offered.  Does this change your thoughts from last week?

It seems like either we didn't think Mitchell was a good fit for us (skill set wasn't what we wanted/had enough PGs for '18) and/or he knew he was going to Creighton if they offered. 

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

We have Hepburn and now Akol Arop offered.  Does this change your thoughts from last week?

It seems like either we didn't think Mitchell was a good fit for us (skill set wasn't what we wanted/had enough PGs for '18) and/or he knew he was going to Creighton if they offered. 

Yeah, a little bit. Williams, too. We'll see if the change in approach pays off.

Edited by uneblinstu

29 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Mitchell is a 2018 high school graduate, right?

Is there some type of eligibility issue?  Why, otherwise, would a four-star be going to prep school instead of enrolling immediately?

He's young for his grade - an extra year before college ball will do wonders for him physically.

you don't have to be given 4 stars by an internet service to be a good division 1 player.

Edited by bleujay

33 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Mitchell is a 2018 high school graduate, right?

Is there some type of eligibility issue?  Why, otherwise, would a four-star be going to prep school instead of enrolling immediately?

He reclassified because he is young and is a good student so that is not the issue. He actually did not want to do that but since his best offers at the time were mid majors I believe his family wanted him to. Then Creighton suggested he go Prep school and then they might have something for him like what they did with K Thomas and he was sold. That is why I think if NU offered for 2018 we had a decent shot even though Creighton was his dream school.