2019 PG Shareef Mitchell

reddan

Sometimes I wonder if Miles has a learned taste aversion to recruiting the metro after Biggs and Arop.  Brady is from Springfield iirc so that is a little different even though he AAU’d in Omaha.  Hopefully we can string together some good seasons to build our brand in Omaha and get some of the local kids that are high major caliber (assuming mutual interest, of course)

1 minute ago, Huskerpapa said:

In this instance, could Mitchell be a tad tainted regarding the Huskers, in part, because of his Dad's experience here?  Perhaps coaches from Nebraska did make inquiries and did show interest, only to be told no...just saying.

I don't know about his dad, but my perspective is that NU has not been heavily invested in local recruiting. Miles and assistants will show up at high school games for known prospects, but they haven't had the regular contact to establish relations with a lot of players and coaches, maybe knowing only some of them will pan out. The assistants all have their areas they recruit, and I don't know that any of them really is focused on Omaha. I do think having Jaylyn Hunter involved in Omaha could be a tremendous boost with Kenya's presence at games, clinics, etc. And it obviously would help if Brady became a star. 

Padilla can speak more to all of this, but he might be less inclined to offer an opinion than I am. 

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:53 AM, uneblinstu said:

I'm not trying to say Mitchell will blossom into an NBA guy. The odds of that are long, just that NU seems to be conceding Omaha. That can't happen.

Are we sure about that? While at Nebraska Miles is 2 for 2 in not offering Omaha prospects that ended up in the NBA.

I really like Amir Harris, I think he will be a good one and is probably our future at the PG position.  It's my understanding that there is some reservation in regards to Mitchell due to his size.  I have no idea if Mitchell would have came here had we offered but it seems to be a habit that we are either not interested or late to the party on local prospects.  Perhaps Miles felt burned by the whole Arop deal.  The good news is that we were first to offer Hepburn and being the first to offer usually accounts for something with a prospect. 

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

In this instance, could Mitchell be a tad tainted regarding the Huskers, in part, because of his Dad's experience here?  Perhaps coaches from Nebraska did make inquiries and did show interest, only to be told no...just saying.

I think Creighton was the dream but if NU would have offered earlier and for 2018 I think we could have had him. He was open to NU and apparently did not really want to reclassify.

We are in on Hepburn early and sounds like Lewis is really working the whole family so hopefully that pays off down the road.

36 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Are we sure about that? While at Nebraska Miles is 2 for 2 in not offering Omaha prospects that ended up in the NBA.

I really like Amir Harris, I think he will be a good one and is probably our future at the PG position.  It's my understanding that there is some reservation in regards to Mitchell due to his size.  I have no idea if Mitchell would have came here had we offered but it seems to be a habit that we are either not interested or late to the party on local prospects.  Perhaps Miles felt burned by the whole Arop deal.  The good news is that we were first to offer Hepburn and being the first to offer usually accounts for something with a prospect. 

Not being sarcastic but yes we are pretty sure that the odds are long for him to be an NBA player. The odds are long for anyone to be an NBA player and especially when you are his size. Hey, someone wins the lottery but that doesn't mean the odds of winning aren't still long.

Edited by Dean Smith

50 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Not being sarcastic but yes we are pretty sure that the odds are long for him to be an NBA player. The odds are long for anyone to be an NBA player and especially when you are his size. Hey, someone wins the lottery but that doesn't mean the odds of winning aren't still long.

Yeah I was being a bit facetious.  If Mitchell makes it to the NBA kudos to him as there are not many of his stature that do so.  I just hope some day we start to produce NBA level talent on a regular basis.  Would be pretty cool to see a Sker go in the first round. 

Sorry.... no link.  He is no longer on the 2018 list.  He didn’t have any high major offers, which is interesting for a kid on the list.  Just the mid major offers we all knew about.

edit: in the link you provided, if you look below it actually still shows him ranked 141 nationally even though it says “NA” in the top section.

Edited by busticket

7 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

And Creighton is not nearly as popular in Omaha as they'd like to believe as there are more Husker fans of all sports here than the Blue Jays. It's not really even close.

Are you talking about their fans? Who cares what the fans think or claim or say...this is straight out of a player’s mouth. A solid recruit from Omaha. If anything this just shows how far behind Nebraska is in recruiting the metro right now. These kids want to play for their city not the state is the vibe I get here 

There is talent elsewhere, and if they don't want to be here, let em go.  I think people put way too much stock into getting local talent versus just getting talent.  If the boys up in the metro have this attitude, then there is no sense in recruiting that area of the country.  Period.

Had forgotten this history of Alvin Michell:

OMAHA (AP) -- Former Cincinnati basketball player Alvin Mitchell plans to end his career in his hometown of Omaha.

Nebraska-Omaha Coach Kevin McKenna announced Monday that the 6-foot guard will join the Mavericks for the 2001-02 season.

Mitchell averaged 4.5 points for the Bearcats in 1998-1999. The former Omaha Burke standout last played in Cincinnati's second-round loss to Temple in the 1999 NCAA tournament.

He left the Bearcats to return to Omaha because of the birth of his son.

Edited by Swan88

3 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

Are you talking about their fans? Who cares what the fans think or claim or say...this is straight out of a player’s mouth. A solid recruit from Omaha. If anything this just shows how far behind Nebraska is in recruiting the metro right now. These kids want to play for their city not the state is the vibe I get here 

It's in response to what Swan88 replied. The people of Omaha includes players, fans, et al. I don't care what one young man said, it's not the entire story. Narrative.