2019 PG Shareef Mitchell

reddan

• hhcmatt changed the title to 2019 PG Shareef Mitchell

If someone wants to verify Mitchell was steered to prep school by the Jays and is almost certainly going there.

Maybe if we offer him in 2018 he comes here. We have an open scholarship. Would people have been inclined to use our last one on another PG here or Mitchell instead of Harris?

48 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Sad fact that the culture of youth basketball in Omaha is catered towards making kids feel that Creighton is the pinnacle of college Basketball and that it should be kids like Shereef’s “dream school” as he told Mike Sautter. 

Maybe I don't understand what "catered" means in your post. But Creighton has had kids drafted to the NBA from his exact school district the last 2 drafts - I think its as simple as that. I think that narrative can get flipped real quick if we get 2 guys drafted next season, even if they aren't Omaha kids.

37 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

If someone wants to verify Mitchell was steered to prep school by the Jays and is almost certainly going there.

Maybe if we offer him in 2018 he comes here. We have an open scholarship. Would people have been inclined to use our last one on another PG here or Mitchell instead of Harris?

I don't think it needed to be an either/or deal, especially when there's still room on the roster. If you've got a guy like Mitchell in state, I think you need to take him. He shouldn't be a fall back option (if he was even that). If NU offered, say, last summer and he still chose to reclassify and wait out the CU offer, then so be it, but NU didn't appear to put in at least an effort. For whatever reason, we're gun shy about offering Metro kids and it's putting out NBA talent. Frankly, I think that's inexcusable. I don't know if Miles has a fractured relationship with Metro coaches (I've heard rumblings to that effect) or they're just not evaluating them well or what the deal is.

Edited by uneblinstu

34 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I don't think it needed to be an either/or deal, especially when there's still room on the roster. If you've got a guy like Mitchell in state, I think you need to take him. He shouldn't be a fall back option (if he was even that). If NU offered, say, last summer and he still chose to reclassify and wait out the CU offer, then so be it, but NU didn't appear to put in at least an effort. For whatever reason, we're gun shy about offering Metro kids and it's putting out NBA talent. Frankly, I think that's inexcusable. I don't know if Miles has a fractured relationship with Metro coaches (I've heard rumblings to that effect) or they're just not evaluating them well or what the deal is.

I watched Mitchell a couple of times in person.   I'm no coach or talent scout, but I'm more surprised that Creighton offered then I am that we didn't.   Maybe he's gotten way stronger since this winter.  But "Big 10 point guard" sure didn't jump off the page.   Compared to Khiry Thomas, for example, who by the time of the State tournament looked really good and I was hoping we were working that.    Time will tell if Mitchell is in the Patton/Thomas mode or not.    Just because that has been the recent history I wouldn't jump to the conclusion it will necessarily apply here. 

Having said all of that, I have to concede our in-state evaluation doesn't look good with examples like Daum, Patton and Thomas.

Edited by HB

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

All signs point to the first part of this being 200% correct. 

2 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Maybe I don't understand what "catered" means in your post. But Creighton has had kids drafted to the NBA from his exact school district the last 2 drafts - I think its as simple as that. I think that narrative can get flipped real quick if we get 2 guys drafted next season, even if they aren't Omaha kids.

When the best AAU program in the state, who was Home to the two NBA draftees you are referring to, as well as Shereef, is ran by a Creighton homer, who I have been told by multiple people in and around Metro basketball has said that he “would never let any of his kids go to Nebraska.” Let’s just say it doesn’t help. Even if we offered and tried to pursue kids from Omaha, it’s an uphill battle from the start because we are considered an afterthought by a few coaches and basketball people in this city. 

6 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

If we would have offered for 2018, I believe he would be a Husker right now, and I wish we did.

4 hours ago, NebrasketballJake said:

When the best AAU program in the state, who was Home to the two NBA draftees you are referring to, as well as Shereef, is ran by a Creighton homer, who I have been told by multiple people in and around Metro basketball has said that he “would never let any of his kids go to Nebraska.” Let’s just say it doesn’t help. Even if we offered and tried to pursue kids from Omaha, it’s an uphill battle from the start because we are considered an afterthought by a few coaches and basketball people in this city. 

That AAU director you're talking about coached Brady Heiman for three years. What school is he going to again?

Kenya Hunter's son has played for that same organization the last two years. Eric Piatkowski's son has played there the last three. 

Nebraska chose not to recruit Shereef. 

Edited by Jacob Padilla

4 hours ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Even if we offered and tried to pursue kids from Omaha, it’s an uphill battle from the start because we are considered an afterthought by a few coaches and basketball people in this city. 

While incredibly tough to swallow, this is the most accurate thing I've seen on this board in quite some time. Can definitely say that CU is what kids see the most of basketball wise in this town. There are some young kids who might even think Nebraska doesn't have a basketball team. Let alone one that plays a shiny arena, but there are also kids out there who have never seen us come close to beating CU.

36 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Imo Harris is a better get than Shereef but who knows, I'm still surprised that of all the Nebraska kids we could have offered, we got Heiman ?

Agree on Harris. 

Creighton was talking greyshirt with Heiman.  Not sure what would have happened had Creighton offered.   Perhaps Jacob has some insight on that.  

Edited by HB

15 hours ago, HB said:

I watched Mitchell a couple of times in person.   I'm no coach or talent scout, but I'm more surprised that Creighton offered then I am that we didn't.   Maybe he's gotten way stronger since this winter.  But "Big 10 point guard" sure didn't jump off the page.   Compared to Khiry Thomas, for example, who by the time of the State tournament looked really good and I was hoping we were working that.    Time will tell if Mitchell is in the Patton/Thomas mode or not.    Just because that has been the recent history I wouldn't jump to the conclusion it will necessarily apply here. 

Having said all of that, I have to concede our in-state evaluation doesn't look good with examples like Daum, Patton and Thomas.

I'm not trying to say Mitchell will blossom into an NBA guy. The odds of that are long, just that NU seems to be conceding Omaha. That can't happen.

45 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Imo Harris is a better get than Shereef but who knows, I'm still surprised that of all the Nebraska kids we could have offered, we got Heiman ?

At least from my perspective, it's not a comparison between Harris and Mitchell. Just saying I think NU should have been in on Mitchell long ago.

58 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Shereef is a stud on ball defender. I mean really good. Don't know about Harris yet, but if Shereef develops a consistent shot he will be very good.

24 minutes ago, HB said:

Agree on Harris. 

Creighton was talking greyshirt with Heiman.  Not sure what would have happened had Creighton offered.   Perhaps Jacob has some insight on that.  

Creighton did offer but only if he went to prep school like Mitchell. Sounds like he would have gone there if NU hadn't offered:

“I grew up a Creighton fan and to receive any type of offer to play for Creighton is exciting,” Heiman said. “Creighton has the whole package ... the new Championship Center, a great coaching staff and great fans.”

Not sure that means Mitchell would have come to NU if he had been offered, though.

Edited by Chuck Taylor

1 hour ago, noahjb24 said:

I do as well.   But considering our open scholarship and Harris's versatility...there was room.

I'll also go out on a limb and say Mitchell has a better career at Creighton than what Davis will here as well.

20 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

I don't think it needed to be an either/or deal, especially when there's still room on the roster.

I brought Harris because it was just April when Johnson decommitted and we could have offered Mitchell.  You're right though, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Mitchell is the son of a college player and is a PG so the odds of him having success in college seem pretty high.

20 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

but NU didn't appear to put in at least an effort

You're right here as well....you miss all the shots you don't take.  Time will tell if we missed here.

So . . . let's see:

Signing Brady Heiman wasn't all that good of a deal--since he can only high jump 6'8" when he stands at 7 feet

We should have recruited Daum--even though no one knew right away (even at the school he attended) that he'd end up being good

This Shareef kid is a 2-star (if any stars) and has offers from only mid-majors until just recently

We now predict that a recruit we did sign will do worse (four years hence) than the guy we didn't pursue--leg hair and all 

And we somehow should have gone for someone other than the player who is already on campus and proving (rumor has it) to be the real deal

The reality is this:  If Nebrasketball can sustain a fourth-place finish in the B1G more than twice every six years, Nebrasketball fans will come out of the woodwork--in every city and in every corner of this State, including Omaha.  And the vast bulk of those 90,000 fans who sell out Memorial Stadium every Husker game day will be die-hard Nebrasketball fans as well.  And the high school basketball studs throughout this State will flock to the Vault as well.

Go Big Red!!!

20 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

So . . . let's see:

Signing Brady Heiman wasn't all that good of a deal--since he can only high jump 6'8" when he stands at 7 feet

We should have recruited Daum--even though no one knew right away (even at the school he attended) that he'd end up being good

This Shareef kid is a 2-star (if any stars) and has offers from only mid-majors until just recently

We now predict that a recruit we did sign will do worse (four years hence) than the guy we didn't pursue--leg hair and all 

And we somehow should have gone for someone other than the player who is already on campus and proving (rumor has it) to be the real deal

The reality is this:  If Nebrasketball can sustain a fourth-place finish in the B1G more than twice every six years, Nebrasketball fans will come out of the woodwork--in every city and in every corner of this State, including Omaha.  And the vast bulk of those 90,000 fans who sell out Memorial Stadium every Husker game day will be die-hard Nebrasketball fans as well.  And the high school basketball studs throughout this State will flock to the Vault as well.

Go Big Red!!!

Bolded the key word in the post

12 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

At least from my perspective, it's not a comparison between Harris and Mitchell. Just saying I think NU should have been in on Mitchell long ago.

I agree and really think Shereef has a lot of similarities to Glynn Watson coming out of HS. Similiar smallish size, score first PG with excellent mid range pull ups and work to do on the three point shot. Also excelent quickness on defense. I think Reef will become more of a distributor now that he is playing with other high level kids. 

Really happy for for the kid, think we will regret this but I have been wrong many times before