Hank Bounds interview

Buglem

For anyone that missed it, there was an article in the Journal Star yesterday where they interviewed Hank Bounds. 

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-bounds-might-rankle-some-but-his-lofty/article_471a8b4f-9085-5350-b25d-3a9000ed5ce4.html

The basic premise was a quote by Bounds something like “you have to convince me why we shouldn’t compete for national championships in every sport”. Well Hank, after the debacle on the basketball front yesterday, I give you exhibit A for why we won’t be more competitive in basketball and despite your talk, we are clearly just a football school. 

Whether you’re a Miles supporter or not, the tepid actions by the administration show one thing; they don’t have the same commitment to basketball as football. IMO, the one year extension was a joke. It did nothing to help anyone other than possibly showing Miles just enough love that you hope he sticks around if you can’t find someone better next year. It clearly sends the message he’s on the hot seat, doesn’t help in recruiting players or hiring a new assistant coach. It provides a litany of possible excuses for next year and the following years. It also damages future recruiting classes and all but assures that we have some bad years coming up. 

They should have either extended him to have a total of 4 or 5 years on his deal or done nothing. Either would have done more for the program than what they did. The fact Bounds had an interview on the same day saying he expects championships is a joke. You don’t build championship programs this way. 

There is no way they would ever do this to the football program. Can you imagine a football coach had under 4 years on his deal here? I can’t. 

The actions of our AD on basketball make me realize what they think of basketball and as a die hard, long time fan, it makes he both angry and sad. 

Not saying it was good or bad, but I think one could argue that the 1-year extension is a commitment to improving basketball.   You aren't over extending a guy who hasn't been successful here and it probably means we are being selective in who we would be targeting for a replacement.   We could have easily fired him if we just wanted him gone.   It probably means we are doing some due diligence in finding a replacement.

15 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Not saying it was good or bad, but I think one could argue that the 1-year extension is a commitment to improving basketball.   You aren't over extending a guy who hasn't been successful here and it probably means we are being selective in who we would be targeting for a replacement.   We could have easily fired him if we just wanted him gone.   It probably means we are doing some due diligence in finding a replacement.

It's a good point and one I keep trying to convince myself is true. However, for a guy that said "I always have a list" when he started, it's pretty disappointing that it was evidently only a football list. At best the 1 year extension is like a guy that has a girlfriend but keeps looking for a hotter date for prom. I would have been fine with firing him or extending him 2 years to at least give the illusion he's the guy but this is a farce. Shows that we are all talk when it comes to basketball. The only thing it sets us up for is a few more years of excuses for Miles or whatever coach is silly enough to come here.

18 minutes ago, Buglem said:

It's a good point and one I keep trying to convince myself is true. However, for a guy that said "I always have a list" when he started, it's pretty disappointing that it was evidently only a football list. At best the 1 year extension is like a guy that has a girlfriend but keeps looking for a hotter date for prom. I would have been fine with firing him or extending him 2 years to at least give the illusion he's the guy but this is a farce. Shows that we are all talk when it comes to basketball. The only thing it sets us up for is a few more years of excuses for Miles or whatever coach is silly enough to come here.

Maybe no one on his list bit.   Maybe they aren't interested at all.   Maybe the time wasn't right. 

I don't think there is any doubt that the administration has questions on Miles.   Rightfully so.  

Also think that we need to see the conclusion to this story.   I mentioned last week, that I will judge the admin moreso on what happens after next season then the events of the last few weeks.

After having a day to digest this, the best I can do is to accept the fact that "what is,is" and let Miles deal with it. He will be well compensated whatever happens next year and if everyone returns, there is no reason to believe he will not succeed with getting an even better contract here or move to an even better job elsewhere. If people leave and he fails, no one on the board will want him to return anyway and the onus is back on Moos to find someone better. Perhaps I am simply feeling sanguine today because of the Red Sox April start. 

26 minutes ago, Buglem said:

However, for a guy that said "I always have a list" when he started

We know that SE was shopping last year because Lee B felt confident enough with his information to at least name guys.

I can't say or not say if Moos was kicking the tires on other coaches but it hasn't occur to the point that the local scribes are kicking around anyone's name except for Altman.

Just like it's harder to recruit when you have less years on your contract than any other coach in the B1G, it's harder to look at new coaches when you currently have one.

We truly won't know what we have with Moos in terms of hiring a new guy until it happens. 

Otherwise I'd suspect that the timing of this interview and the movement of Sip in the last month to the 'Line must be drawn here hardliner' club to be PSAs for the athletic department. 

59 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Understand what you're saying above over extending, however, this is small potatoes in terms of a pay out.  My guess is as pointed out above is that list is a football coach only list OR, his list was not realistic and he got told no from those on his list so he bought a year to make a new list.  Either way, this was handled poorly.

2 hours ago, Buglem said:

For anyone that missed it, there was an article in the Journal Star yesterday where they interviewed Hank Bounds. 

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-bounds-might-rankle-some-but-his-lofty/article_471a8b4f-9085-5350-b25d-3a9000ed5ce4.html

The basic premise was a quote by Bounds something like “you have to convince me why we shouldn’t compete for national championships in every sport”. Well Hank, after the debacle on the basketball front yesterday, I give you exhibit A for why we won’t be more competitive in basketball and despite your talk, we are clearly just a football school. 

Whether you’re a Miles supporter or not, the tepid actions by the administration show one thing; they don’t have the same commitment to basketball as football. IMO, the one year extension was a joke. It did nothing to help anyone other than possibly showing Miles just enough love that you hope he sticks around if you can’t find someone better next year. It clearly sends the message he’s on the hot seat, doesn’t help in recruiting players or hiring a new assistant coach. It provides a litany of possible excuses for next year and the following years. It also damages future recruiting classes and all but assures that we have some bad years coming up. 

They should have either extended him to have a total of 4 or 5 years on his deal or done nothing. Either would have done more for the program than what they did. The fact Bounds had an interview on the same day saying he expects championships is a joke. You don’t build championship programs this way. 

There is no way they would ever do this to the football program. Can you imagine a football coach had under 4 years on his deal here? I can’t. 

The actions of our AD on basketball make me realize what they think of basketball and as a die hard, long time fan, it makes he both angry and sad. 

I couldn't agree more.  I know it's far too early to declare this as a mistake by Moos, but I think we will look back at him slow playing Miles' contract extension or possible firing this offseason and see that it was handled very, very poorly.  Either extend him multiple years and show you're fully committed right after the season concluded or move on to the next best option.

Leaving the program in limbo for a few months certainly contributed to Kenya leaving, along with our top recruit for this class.   

3 minutes ago, Euro Dagunduro said:

Leaving the program in limbo for a few months certainly contributed to Kenya leaving, along with our top recruit for this class.   

I think he would have taken the UConn job regardless of the extension. It just made sense for him. Trying to somehow twist Moos' slow play into costing us Kenya and Xavier is just turning frustration into bitterness for no reason.

Twenty-two regular season wins and a 4th place finish in the Big Ten should have been a launching pad into recruiting for the class of 2019, the guys we'd be signing this November.  The success this year should have been something we could leverage in recruiting and, frankly, in replacing any assistants who might move on.  It was a ready-made sales pitch:

"Hey, look at what we just did!  We climbed out of the cellar and into the penthouse of one of the top basketball leagues in the nation.  But we want to stay there and we need studs like you to do it.  Come join us, Nebraska is on the rise!"

But, a funny thing happened on the way to the forum.  Before I get to that, though, let's get something straight:  Don't talk to me about money.

A million or two per year seems like a lot of money to some average-Joe fan making $50,000/year with overtime.  The university can afford it.  Extending Miles doesn't have the effect of preventing us from moving on at the end of next year if that's what needs to happen.  So, don't even go there.  The question is what makes sense RIGHT NOW.  And the answer, in my humble opinion, is that you do whatever you can to build off this season and leverage the success we had this year in order to build more success over the longer term.

We could have done that if Moos had quickly cemented an extension of 2 years or even 3.  The money doesn't matter as much as the appearance.  We have plenty of money.  They have a war chest they can go to if and when they feel they need to axe a coach, so, again, money isn't an obstacle.  It's about establishing a veneer of confidence and optimism following one of the best seasons in Husker hoops history.  Take that success, act like it's a BIG FRICKIN DEAL that we're very happy about and confident about and think we're the new studs on the block about to turn the corner for real.  

That's how you build buzz.  That's how you get recruits excited.  That's how you get your foot in the door with guys who might not have given you a second look in years past.  And you do that by confidently and loudly extending your coach at the end of such a season (and if it doesn't work out, hey, you just fire him at the end of the next season and it's just money, which you have plenty of.)

But, instead of allowing the program to build off this year's success, Moos -- pick your metaphor -- he crapped the bed, he screwed the pooch, whatever.

We're now virtually assured of having to go through a coaching change in March or April of next year and we're going to have shit for a roster when we do it.

Thanks a lot, Bill.

6 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I think he would have taken the UConn job regardless of the extension. It just made sense for him. Trying to somehow twist Moos' slow play into costing us Kenya and Xavier is just turning frustration into bitterness for no reason.

In what way did it make sense for him?  Just because he's an east coast guy?  That is quite the assumption..

Denying the last few months of indecision had no effect on Kenya leaving seems foolish.  The chain reaction of Xavier leaving too because Kenya did is fairly obvious.

You know the old saying: "Success is in the eye of the beholder"...or maybe that is beauty. Well, since Moos isn't going to win any beauty contest, I propose that those of us here may be considering the "success" this year in a different light than unbiased observers. After all, we didn't get invited to the Big Dance, we won no post season games, and we finished fourth in a league which may or may not have been weaker than usual. Throw that in with a seeming inability to win our most important games and perhaps building on this "successful" foundation might have seemed a bit shaky as viewed from afar. So.... guess we will know more after we find out what next season brings.

23 minutes ago, Euro Dagunduro said:

In what way did it make sense for him?  Just because he's an east coast guy?  That is quite the assumption..

I felt like it made a lot of sense for Kenya to take that job. Stability here was certainly a factor but I'd argue the most stable job anyone can find is with a new coach. Working with a Hurley and at UConn is a good gig. The area lines up with where Hunter's recruiting ties are. He's very good friends with assistant Kimani Young.

The issue with this contract isn't Hunter leaving; assistants leave. The issue is finding Hunter's replacement. 

Jimmy, let's say you're the PR guy tasked with developing an ad campaign for ... Chipotle.

Do you ...

A. Run an ad campaign apologizing for all the e-coli that got people sick and promise we're going to try to figure out why our food is killing people and fix it; or

B. Run an ad campaign talking about fresh, sustainable, free range, farm-to-table, great tasting fast food at an affordable price?

Moos chose A.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Twenty-two regular season wins and a 4th place finish in the Big Ten should have been a launching pad into recruiting for the class of 2019, the guys we'd be signing this November.  The success this year should have been something we could leverage in recruiting and, frankly, in replacing any assistants who might move on.  It was a ready-made sales pitch:

"Hey, look at what we just did!  We climbed out of the cellar and into the penthouse of one of the top basketball leagues in the nation.  But we want to stay there and we need studs like you to do it.  Come join us, Nebraska is on the rise!"

But, a funny thing happened on the way to the forum.  Before I get to that, though, let's get something straight:  Don't talk to me about money.

A million or two per year seems like a lot of money to some average-Joe fan making $50,000/year with overtime.  The university can afford it.  Extending Miles doesn't have the effect of preventing us from moving on at the end of next year if that's what needs to happen.  So, don't even go there.  The question is what makes sense RIGHT NOW.  And the answer, in my humble opinion, is that you do whatever you can to build off this season and leverage the success we had this year in order to build more success over the longer term.

We could have done that if Moos had quickly cemented an extension of 2 years or even 3.  The money doesn't matter as much as the appearance.  We have plenty of money.  They have a war chest they can go to if and when they feel they need to axe a coach, so, again, money isn't an obstacle.  It's about establishing a veneer of confidence and optimism following one of the best seasons in Husker hoops history.  Take that success, act like it's a BIG FRICKIN DEAL that we're very happy about and confident about and think we're the new studs on the block about to turn the corner for real.  

That's how you build buzz.  That's how you get recruits excited.  That's how you get your foot in the door with guys who might not have given you a second look in years past.  And you do that by confidently and loudly extending your coach at the end of such a season (and if it doesn't work out, hey, you just fire him at the end of the next season and it's just money, which you have plenty of.)

But, instead of allowing the program to build off this year's success, Moos -- pick your metaphor -- he crapped the bed, he screwed the pooch, whatever.

We're now virtually assured of having to go through a coaching change in March or April of next year and we're going to have shit for a roster when we do it.

Thanks a lot, Bill.

Miles had he opportunity to build off 2013/14 season by going to NCAA tournament and being named National Coach of the Year and put this program on the map.  We were preseason ranked the following year and ended up going 13-18.  So hard to say this season should be launching pad and AD is messing it up by not giving him a longer extension.  Yes, we had a decent number of wins this year which only got a # 5 seed in NIT.  I hardly think that is a launching board that will vault us into sustained success.  So far, Miles hasn't shown any indication of that.  I would love to see it happen but based on Miles track record here at NU, it doesn't seem likely.

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I would bet the indecisiveness on Miles led KH to at least put some feelers out to see what options he had. Then UCONN makes an offer and it is a no brainer for him and I do not blame him. If Moos came out right away and extended Miles and showed some confidence maybe he does not even put out feelers.

57 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Miles had he opportunity to build off 2013/14 season by going to NCAA tournament and being named National Coach of the Year and put this program on the map.  We were preseason ranked the following year and ended up going 13-18.  So hard to say this season should be launching pad and AD is messing it up by not giving him a longer extension.  Yes, we had a decent number of wins this year which only got a # 5 seed in NIT.  I hardly think that is a launching board that will vault us into sustained success.  So far, Miles hasn't shown any indication of that.  I would love to see it happen but based on Miles track record here at NU, it doesn't seem likely.

You’ve missed the point.

What happened before following a good season  is irrelevant to how you try to leverage the success of the most recent good season.

You don’t think 4th place conference finish and one of the best regular season records in school history could be positively exploited moving forward?

I don’t know what to say.

12 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

You’ve missed the point.

What happened before following a good season  is irrelevant to how you try to leverage the success of the most recent good season.

You don’t think 4th place conference finish and one of the best regular season records in school history could be positively exploited moving forward?

I think it can be spun.  Certainly looks better than 12-19.   But I also don't think it is quite as impactful as some want to make it out to be.   NIT seasons don't really float a ton of boats.   Again...certainly looks better than 12-19 when you are in the living room...but it's not like that 22 win season turned heads across the country.  It wasn't a tourney bid, or Sweet 16.

Edited by nustudent

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

You’ve missed the point.

I don't think he believes a non-tourney season qualifies as a launching pad, regardless of how it stacks up in NU history. How do you leverage a non-tourney season?

Everybody has their own perception of what this season was. We didn't make the tourney, and it wasn't that close, OR it was the best regular season in history, we got jobbed. I don't think either view is unreasonable. 

16 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

You’ve missed the point.

I think the answer you're looking for lies in how TCU has been able to use small recent successes to build upon each and every season.