2018 PG Amir Harris - LOI

hhcmatt

• uneblinstu changed the title to 2018 PG Amir Harris - LOI
19 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I like this pick-up quite a bit - thoughts?

Liked X better but we need a PG and he has length and athleticism.  If you’re going to be a subpar shooter, you better have those two things and he does.   Under the circumstances it’s a solid get

if he truly is 6-5 and has the handles and fluidity to play point, it’s a tough variable for a lot of college teams.   Allows you to get creative with some zone looks too because of the length

offensively, if his shot is as questionable as it’s made out to be, we’ll need to surround him with shooters, which has been easier said than done but he can be functional with his ability to get in the paint and work on smaller guards

Edited by nustudent

I like this pickup a lot. Defensively, he’s able to switch off any screen. Offensively, any player with handles and that type of length at PG will cause stress on the defense, even if they only hit at a 30% clip from deep. This kid should pop in a tape of Jalen Brunson and hit the weight room hard. If I were Miles, I’d have options for him to post-up a few times a game if he has that type of game. 

14 hours ago, nustudent said:

Liked X better but we need a PG and he has length and athleticism.  If you’re going to be a subpar shooter, you better have those two things and he does.   Under the circumstances it’s a solid get

if he truly is 6-5 and has the handles and fluidity to play point, it’s a tough variable for a lot of college teams.   Allows you to get creative with some zone looks too because of the length

offensively, if his shot is as questionable as it’s made out to be, we’ll need to surround him with shooters, which has been easier said than done but he can be functional with his ability to get in the paint and work on smaller guards

I personally believe that the ability to switch defensively, with the shot clock and all the ball screens/hand-offs that happen in College Bball, is paramount. So I love the idea of a lengthy, athletic Point guard. 

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6862

URI thread on the former commit

Sounds a lot like Evan Taylor.  Tall PG skill set with the ability to lock down a guard.  ET eventually developed a 3pt shot by not overdoing it.  Will Harris and when?

One other thing to note: 4 different HS in 4 different years and might have decommitted from Rhode Island because they recruited another guard after he signed. (Might have decommited to find a bigger school).  To me screams helicopter parents and runaway bride if he doesn't play enough. Maybe at some point he will care about DONU but I wouldn't bet on it.  Time will tell.

38 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6862

URI thread on the former commit

Sounds a lot like Evan Taylor.  Tall PG skill set with the ability to lock down a guard.  ET eventually developed a 3pt shot by not overdoing it.  Will Harris and when?

One other thing to note: 4 different HS in 4 different years and might have decommitted from Rhode Island because they recruited another guard after he signed. (Might have decommited to find a bigger school).  To me screams helicopter parents and runaway bride if he doesn't play enough. Maybe at some point he will care about DONU but I wouldn't bet on it.  Time will tell. 

That would jive with the comments of one scout.   Essentially said he needed to get tougher mentally and learn to fight through adversity.

Edited by nustudent

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:38 AM, basketballjones said:

I personally believe that the ability to switch defensively, with the shot clock and all the ball screens/hand-offs that happen in College Bball, is paramount. So I love the idea of a lengthy, athletic Point guard. 

I would just add what I mentioned in the other thread on the main page:  Highlight films tend to focus on what a player is really good at and Amir's highlight film shows a lot of defense.  He anticipates really well, jumping into the passing lanes; he has quick hands and seems to come up with a lot of the loose balls; and he challenges jump shooters quite a bit and seems to get to the ball a decent amount of the time and alter the shot.

So, yeah, this is probably a player who would embrace a defensive role and not only have the ability to switch screens but do so with a little zeal.

Edited by Norm Peterson

• 3 months later...
19 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

The thing I noticed is when he dunked, if you watched the other players there is no immediate reaction. Have that gotten to the point that they are so used to him doing that they have been desensitized?  

With Isaac, Isaiah, Nana, James, as well as a couple others, they may indeed be more than a bit desensitized...?

Edited by Huskerpapa