Let me get this straight...

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

You're right about 10-19. 

More on point though, is he safe going 20-10, making the NCAA tourney and then losing the first game? Probably moreso with a 2 year extension than a 1.

If Miles would not be safe if he put up 10-19 or even 20-10, you have no business extending his contract...it would not be in the interest of the university to do so.

3 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

If Miles would not be safe if he put up 10-19 or even 20-10, you have no business extending his contract...it would not be in the interest of the university to do so.

I don't want to speak for people, but if Miles put up 10-19 or 20-10 and wasn't safe, why even keep him?

4 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I don't want to speak for people, but if Miles put up 10-19 or 20-10 and wasn't safe, why even keep him?

my guess is that his 22 wins earned one more year...

NCAA tournament might have earned two more years (thus allowing a bad year)

My guess is Moos isn't ready to committ to more than that..

I'm throwing out the following information just to illustrate the nature of the coaching profession.

There are 32 coaches in the top 6 conferences with that have been around as long or longer than Miles.  Of those, 30 have won an NCAA Tournament game.  The two that haven't are Miles and Chambers at Penn State.

Also among major conferences, since they expanded the tournament to 64 teams in 1985, there have been a few coaches that get their first NCAA Tournament win at a school only after more than seven seasons, but there aren't many.  Leonard Hamilton did it twice, at Miami and Florida State.  Mike Montgomery did it at Stanford.  Jim O'Brien did it at Boston College.  Bruce Parkhill did it at Penn State.  Richard Williams did it at Mississippi State.  And that's it, as far as I can find.  And in that time, the only two coaches that made it to their tenth season at a school without winning a tournament game are Bill Carmody at Northwestern,  who lasted 13 years, and Danny Nee, who lasted 14.

So, in general, it's extremely important to win early in your tenure, because otherwise it's extremely rare to get a chance to win late.

5 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

I'm throwing out the following information just to illustrate the nature of the coaching profession.

There are 32 coaches in the top 6 conferences with that have been around as long or longer than Miles.  Of those, 30 have won an NCAA Tournament game.  The two that haven't are Miles and Chambers at Penn State.

Also among major conferences, since they expanded the tournament to 64 teams in 1985, there have been a few coaches that get their first NCAA Tournament win at a school only after more than seven seasons, but there aren't many.  Leonard Hamilton did it twice, at Miami and Florida State.  Mike Montgomery did it at Stanford.  Jim O'Brien did it at Boston College.  Bruce Parkhill did it at Penn State.  Richard Williams did it at Mississippi State.  And that's it, as far as I can find.  And in that time, the only two coaches that made it to their tenth season at a school without winning a tournament game are Bill Carmody at Northwestern,  who lasted 13 years, and Danny Nee, who lasted 14.

So, in general, it's extremely important to win early in your tenure, because otherwise it's extremely rare to get a chance to win late.

Numbers like this just make me more depressed. We truly are in rare air. It is unbelievable the misfortune our bball program has produced in 100+ years.