Let me get this straight...

I've been out of town for a few days with 30 inches of snow on the ground, so bear with me. Miles STILL doesn't have an extension, are best recruit left and so did our best assistant? We've all seen a lot of chaos/turmoil here over the years, BUT REALLY? You just went 15-1 at home and finished 4th in the Conference. Most schools would have a Parade...

26 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I've been out of town for a few days with 30 inches of snow on the ground, so bear with me. Miles STILL doesn't have an extension, are best recruit left and so did our best assistant? We've all seen a lot of chaos/turmoil here over the years, BUT REALLY? You just went 15-1 at home and finished 4th in the Conference. Most schools would have a Parade...

Got a nice slap in the face extension today.  Next season now a dead man walking situation.  Not a good feeling.

15 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

What a 1 year extension accomplishes:

1.Kills recruiting.

2. Kills attendance.

3. Sets the program back years.

This is a kick in the pants to season ticket holders.

1)  won't effect recruiting as Miles is still under a 3 year contact with the possibility to extend it if can finally have back to back good seasons for a change

2)  won't have any effect on attendance.  I doubt people will not show up cause Miles only got a 1 year extension

3)  didn't set the program back at all.  If Miles is the right coach, he should be able to capitalize on our success this year.  If not, then it's time to look for another coach.  He has had enough time to prove it and so far, he hasn't.

54 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

What a 1 year extension accomplishes:

1.Kills recruiting.

2. Kills attendance.

3. Sets the program back years.

This is a kick in the pants to season ticket holders.

1) Miles' contract length is the same as it was at the beginning of last season. Most everyone on this board thought last year's roster was one of the most talented we've had in a long time. The eight-man rotation we utilized late in the year consisted of 5 players who did not play at Nebraska as freshmen. They were transfers who joined the program while Miles' contract was NOT being extended. I see little evidence that extending the coach's contract will hurt recruiting.

2) We were 12-19 in 2016-17 and were still in the top 15 nationally for attendance. I can't imagine extending the coach will hurt attendance.

3) I'm failing to see how extending the coach's contract "sets the program back years". Typically, a .500 coach does not move a program forward at a rate that is pleasing to administrators and/or fan bases. If Miles does well next year, he'll get a better extension. If he doesn't do well and is let go, we will hire a new coach that could potentially move the program forward. So I'm also struggling to see how one more year with a .500 coach "sets the program back years".

Edited by dustystehl

One thing I'll say @Norm Peterson that would be a mitigating factor in the recruiting bind this puts us in is there are very few B1G roster spots to go around, and that still holds value and the Huskers have 15 of those spots.  Of the thousands of guys out there with D1 hoops aspirations only a relative few are B1G, SEC, ACC etc.

We'll still get dudes.  They may or may not be *dudes* though...

51 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

1)  won't effect recruiting as Miles is still under a 3 year contact with the possibility to extend it if can finally have back to back good seasons for a change

2)  won't have any effect on attendance.  I doubt people will not show up cause Miles only got a 1 year extension

3)  didn't set the program back at all.  If Miles is the right coach, he should be able to capitalize on our success this year.  If not, then it's time to look for another coach.  He has had enough time to prove it and so far, he hasn't.

Nope on 1 and 3.   There was a slim chance of that had they not drug it out for a month playing Simon & Garfunkel.   This is over and the ship has sailed.   

34 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

1) By what analysis do you come to that conclusion?  Industry standard is a rollover, adding a year onto the end of the contract every year, keeping coaches with a set number of years on their contract.  Always.  For a coach to burn 2 years off the end of a contract, then produce a very strong record and only get a one-year extension, says the same thing to recruits as it does to everyone else:  his time here is done after next season.  If he does well enough not to get fired, it'll be good enough to attract other offers that he'll consider before choosing one.  The chances that he's back after next year seem almost miniscule. No question in my mind this situation hamstrings us on the recruiting trail. Convince me I'm wrong.

2) OK.  Maybe.  Next year, we'll still have, hopefully, a team full of studs.  But the year after that?  Guess we'll see. I have my doubts.  You think 14,500 fans would show up every night to watch our 2000-2001 team?  

3)  By what analysis do you come to that conclusion?  We're spinning our wheels for a year.  We're screwing recruiting in the right here and now.  We lose, at a minimum, the seniors, plus probably Roby at the end of next season.  Those are spots Miles would be recruiting to fill right now.   Those potential recruits are guys who won't be signing with us in November because they have no idea where Miles will be when their college careers start or who the coach here would be.  Fire Miles this year, and you get moving with a roster to work with.  Extend Miles and you signal to everyone this is our man (unless you have to buy him out early, which, OK, fine, so what?).  This one-year extension, IMO, is the absolute worst of all possible scenarios.  With all the players we for sure lose off next year's team, we're going to go into 2019-2020 giving serious minutes to walk-ons like Ross Buckendahl and Craig Wortmann.  

For the record, I believe Miles earned a reasonable extension with this season.  I respect that there might be those who would disagree with that opinion, in which case, fine, fire him now.

But, for the love of all things Holy, make a decision one way or the other -- extend for real or fire him.  But don't leave us in this state of suspended animation with a coach on life support and a program teetering in the balance.

Thank you for not making me type it out.  For those that seriously think this does not affect recruiting, you are sadly mistaken.  Recruits want to know who they will be playing for, what system they will be playing in, and they DO NOT want uncertainty.  That is all you get with a 1 year extension.  I agree that attendance wont really be affected right away.  However, with point three, I disagree that this doesn't set the team back.  Miles is now recruiting with his hands tied behind his back.  We have a good year next year and Miles get's extended... cupboard is bare in the next year or two of underclassman and people complain in 2 years.  Miles isn't here and the cupboard is still bare and sets us back two years.

Don't think it impacts recruiting this spring that much since we are going after more transfers but it will/could hurt 2019's class and the fact that we will likely have a lot of openings for it as well.   But it's also the same spot he was in entering last year though as well.   As far as recruiting goes, considering Hunter's impact, that hire of the assistant coach may carry more weight.

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

Don't think it impacts recruiting this spring that much since we are going after more transfers but it will/could hurt 2019's class and the fact that we will likely have a lot of openings for it as well.   But it's also the same spot he was in entering last year though as well.   As far as recruiting goes, considering Hunter's impact, that hire of the assistant coach may carry more weight.

I agree with the assistant hire.  Which makes this all the more frustrating because no good assistant is going to want to come here for a possible one year stint.

Just now, hskr4life said:

I agree with the assistant hire.  Which makes this all the more frustrating because no good assistant is going to want to come here for a possible one year stint.

I think assistants (and coaches in general) know the name of the game.   You win, you stay.  You lose, goodbye.   There are always guys changing jobs moving in and out every year.  

34 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I think assistants (and coaches in general) know the name of the game.   You win, you stay.  You lose, goodbye.   There are always guys changing jobs moving in and out every year.  

I agree, and wouldn't an assistant coach look at our roster returning and know we have a pretty good chance at making the dance next year, and also conclude that it would be quite a resume bullet item to be able to say you were part of Nebraska's first NCAA tourney win.

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:

There is simply no chance this does not hurt recruiting a lot. Every coach we go up against will be using it without a doubt. This will also impact the type of assistant coach we can get.

This is a very loud and clear no confidence vote by the AD, no other way to look at it. It sucks because it does kill momentum and is needless. give him 3 years, lower the buyout, and praise him to everyone for a great job last year. It should not have been that hard unless Miles took a hard stance in negotiations which I doubt since he does not have a lot of juice.

25 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

I will be less likely to go to no name State next year knowing that Moos doesn't believe in Miles or seem to care about basketball.

So yeah this could have an effect on attendance. I can't believe how unexcited I am for next year. Feels like just another year of Nebrasketball heartache.

One could argue that extending a .500 coach five years would be an even greater implication that Moos doesn't care about winning basketball games.

At Nebraska, Miles is 4-13 in March road and neutral site games (3-13 in such games at Colorado State, so 7-26 as a D-I coach). He's 0-6 against Creighton (many of which have been blowouts).

If you're happy with going to the NIT every other year, then I guess Miles is your guy. I just want more than that. And I think Moos does, too.

Edited by dustystehl

21 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

I will be less likely to go to no name State next year knowing that Moos doesn't believe in Miles or seem to care about basketball.

So yeah this could have an effect on attendance. I can't believe how unexcited I am for next year. Feels like just another year of Nebrasketball heartache.

I want to know how the roster shakes out before I settle on how excited I will or won't be for the season.

One could argue that extending a .500 coach five years would be an even greater implication that Moos doesn't care about winning basketball games.

At Nebraska, Miles is 4-13 in March road and neutral site games (3-13 in such games at Colorado State, so 7-26 as a D-I coach). He's 0-6 against Creighton (many of which have been blowouts).

If you're happy with going to the NIT every other year, then I guess Miles is your guy. I just want more than that. And I think Moos does, too.
One could, either way, my excitement for the program isn't high.

But admittedly it is higher than it was 1 year ago.

If Moos extended his contract to 5 years....and Miles went 14-18 next year...Guess what Miles is getting fired anyway.

Recruits will leave, players will leave....but in the end a new coach would probably want that to happen anyway.

I think everyone knows that Miles needs to win next year or he is gone.....giving him an extension to 5 years would not change the "negative" recruiting that goes on about his status.

Especially since the University of Nebraska is notorious for Firing Coaches within Months of giving them extensions.