My perception

Dean Smith

Perceptions are subjective and I understand, big picture, big picture, big picture. My perception of what is going on right now is that there is more negativity, definitely on this board, surrounding the basketball program right now coming off a 22 win season then Doc’s last year. Perception is one thing, perspective is another. 

So what’s the root of the problem?  Does it go back to Shawn? Is it Miles? Is it the fans with unrealistic expectations?  

I feel like Shawn was trying to control the football program like it was his own. Surely he wasn’t doing the same with the basketball?  Did he have enough time after controlling football to control basketball?  

I sure dont don’t feel like we had one of the  best seasons of my life. It feels awfully similar to last year for me. I just feel like Palmer is the only one out of the three that have declared that will be back. It just sucks being pessimistic all the time.  I had so much fun watching the regular season but the end of the season left such a sour taste in my mouth. 

15 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

So what’s the root of the problem?  Does it go back to Shawn? Is it Miles? Is it the fans with unrealistic expectations?  

I feel like Shawn was trying to control the football program like it was his own. Surely he wasn’t doing the same with the basketball?  Did he have enough time after controlling football to control basketball?  

I sure dont don’t feel like we had one of the  best seasons of my life. It feels awfully similar to last year for me. I just feel like Palmer is the only one out of the three that have declared that will be back. It just sucks being pessimistic all the time.  I had so much fun watching the regular season but the end of the season left such a sour taste in my mouth. 

AFAIC, Miles is in over his head as far as building a program is concerned and the situation was made worse by Eichorst’s actions 

now Moos is in a situation where he’s damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t   and it’s all a mess

Edited by nustudent

Dean, good post.  Perspective is fickle.  In the world today, often time our perspective is swayed by the events of the day.  Nebraska has no real history in basketball.  We had a good thing going for a while with Danny.  We had one good year with Moe.  We had a few good years Cip, but NCAA tournament entry was significantly different back then. 

With Tim, we have had some glimpses, some hopeful glimpses of building a program.  After last season, many thought that the Miles era should have come to an end.  Why?  We lost Horne, Jake and Ed, and came off a bad season.  That said, we had a brighter light (that we really weren't convinced existed) on the horizon.  We had Isaac, James, a recovering Anton, an up and coming group of youngsters in Glynn, Jordy and Isaiah.  They came together, and were not only a good group of young men, but also won.  They won enough to get us within a breath of the dance.

So now we get to our current situation.  We held our collective breath because Nebraska basketball, is...well, Nebraska basketball.  How could we take the returning staff and players up to the next level.  So we bring in a recruit + 2 that should help us improve. But first, how about a couple blows to the gut:

• Should Coach Miles be extended.  We continue to wait, he is our coach for next year, but without word from our AD, we don't know what that means.  Is it a one year reprieve, or what?  So we twist in the wind.
  • We have three players who, with continued exponential growth, will surely lead us to the dance, not only to play in the tournament, but also provide some shock an awe.  So we wait to see if they will come back or leave...is there concern that we could lose one or more of those three dudes...you bet.
  • We lose our longest tenured assistant, an assistant that is closest to our players, an assistant that recruits our dudes, an assistant that...well, an assistant that leaves a pretty significant hole.  It may be difficult to replace that assistant given what is occurring with #1.
  • We lose a recruit that our head coach promised would play next year. 
  • There is a rumor that another of our players may leave, although I have seen zero evidence so far, that this is the case.

So here we are, about a month since the end of our season, a couple weeks after the end of the college season, and we are battling our internal and external demons.  What is going to happen?  When will whatever happens, happen?  Tomorrow, next week?  A month?  I don't know Dean, I want to keep a positive spin on things, but my rose colored glasses have been knocked askew a bit.  Can someone please help guide me to Nirvana...please.

A scorpion had a dilemma.  He needed to get to the other side of the pond.  He saw a frog and asked, "Mr. Frog, will you allow me to climb on your back and you can then swim me across the pond?"  The frog responds, "Do you think I am an idiot, if I allow you on my back, you will bite me, and I will die."  "Oh, Mr. Frog" the scorpion responds, "if I were to bite you, we both would die, as I would then drown, why would I do that."  The frog thought about it and the explanation made sense.  So he decides to comply with the scorpions request.  So the scorpion jumps on, and they proceed across the pond.  Half-way across, the scorpion bites the frog on the back, and just before the frog succumbs to the bite, the frog asks, "Mr. Scorpion, WHY?  I am now dying, and you are about to drown"  "Well," Mr. Scorpion responds' "I am a scorpion, it is what I am, and what I do" 

Are we the frog or the scorpion?

Edited by Huskerpapa

7 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

I start a thread bemoaning the negativity, immediately followed by numerous negative posts on said thread.  Might as well take the thread down. 

FWIW @Dean Smith I appreciate the attempt.  Unfortunately I think this is just a storm we're gonna have to ride out.  Some folks are restless (some perpetually) and need a place to express their anxiety.  The whiners will crawl back into their holes soon enough and then we can get back to having more meaningful discussions.

Until then I really hope the players, recruits and their families who may possibly be lurking around don't mistake the current toxicity around here is in any way representative of the true Husker fans' nature or the support we all have for the team.

Hopefully we can get things turned around here and avoid turning this place into the same cesspool that exists over at Huskerboard/Rivals.

Edited by 49r

4 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Dean, good post.  Perspective is fickle.  In the world today, often time our perspective is swayed by the events of the day.  Nebraska has no real history in basketball.  We had a good thing going for a while with Danny.  We had one good year with Moe.  We had a few good years Cip, but NCAA tournament entry was significantly different back then. 

With Tim, we have had some glimpses, some hopeful glimpses of building a program.  After last season, many thought that the Miles era should have come to an end.  Why?  We lost Horne, Jake and Ed, and came off a bad season.  That said, we had a brighter light (that we really weren't convinced existed) on the horizon.  We had Isaac, James, a recovering Anton, an up and coming group of youngsters in Glynn, Jordy and Isaiah.  They came together, and were not only a good group of young men, but also won.  They won enough to get us within a breath of the dance.

So now we get to our current situation.  We held our collective breath because Nebraska basketball, is...well, Nebraska basketball.  How could we take the returning staff and players up to the next level.  So we bring in a recruit + 2 that should help us improve. But first, how about a couple blows to the gut:

• Should Coach Miles be extended.  We continue to wait, he is our coach for next year, but without word from our AD, we don't know what that means.  Is it a one year reprieve, or what?  So we twist in the wind.
  • We have three players who, with continued exponential growth, will surely lead us to the dance, not only to play in the tournament, but also provide some shock an awe.  So we wait to see if they will come back or leave...is there concern that we could lose one or more of those three dudes...you bet.
  • We lose our longest tenured assistant, an assistant that is closest to our players, an assistant that recruits our dudes, an assistant that...well, an assistant that leaves a pretty significant hole.  It may be difficult to replace that assistant given what is occurring with #1.
  • We lose a recruit that our head coach promised would play next year. 
  • There is a rumor that another of our players may leave, although I have seen zero evidence so far, that this is the case.

So here we are, about a month since the end of our season, a couple weeks after the end of the college season, and we are battling our internal and external demons.  What is going to happen?  When will whatever happens, happen?  Tomorrow, next week?  A month?  I don't know Dean, I want to keep a positive spin on things, but my rose colored glasses have been knocked askew a bit.  Can someone please help guide me to Nirvana...please.

A scorpion had a dilemma.  He needed to get to the other side of the pond.  He saw a frog and asked, "Mr. Frog, will you allow me to climb on your back and you can then swim me across the pond?"  The frog responds, "Do you think I am an idiot, if I allow you on my back, you will bite me, and I will die."  "Oh, Mr. Frog" the scorpion responds, "if I were to bite you, we both would die, as I would then drown, why would I do that."  The frog thought about it and the explanation made sense.  So he decides to comply with the scorpions request.  So the scorpion jumps on, and they proceed across the pond.  Half-way across, the scorpion bites the frog on the back, and just before the frog succumbs to the bite, the frog asks, "Mr. Scorpion, WHY?  I am now dying, and you are about to drown"  "Well," Mr. Scorpion responds' "I am a scorpion, it is what I am, and what I do" 

Are we the frog or the scorpion?

I want to be the pond.:mellow:

My perception at first was surprise that so many people jumped on Moos. I had figured contracts are complicated and things were dragging and the Kenya Hunter move just agitated everybody. But then I re-read Barfknect's story that said Miles was "still waiting to hear" details of his extension. That makes me think Miles was using the reporter to make it clear that he is indeed in limbo. I'd like to give Moos the benefit of the doubt on this, but if nothing else, he's not too sensitive to Miles' position. So I do understand why some are angry, even though I'm not. 

Beyond that, I'll still support Miles next year because that's what fans do, but I remain skeptical that he's the answer for the program. One thing I struggle with: Do fans really think Miles is going to get it done? I see some of the same people sticking up for him on one thread, and then on another thread commenting about how poorly he develops post players or how he needs an assistant who can coach offense or how his roster is always unsettled. I understand that he's upgraded our talent level, but that's coming off a very low base (Doc). But is the talent level good enough to overcome his shortcomings as a coach? I wonder if our low expectations aren't a big part of why the program underachieves. Look at any successful program that we would want to emulate and ask yourself whether they would accept these results. 

14 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I want to be the pond.:mellow:

Female skinny dippers? Asking for a friend?

As for the initial post, think a lot of the negativity is that we had a very good season, we could see what many thought was the light at the end of the tunnel and the one or two things that needed done in theory didn't get done.  Not the whole thing seems to be sliding back into what many of known as Nebrasketball for a long long time.

Edited by colhusker

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

My perception at first was surprise that so many people jumped on Moos. I had figured contracts are complicated and things were dragging and the Kenya Hunter move just agitated everybody. But then I re-read Barfknect's story that said Miles was "still waiting to hear" details of his extension. That makes me think Miles was using the reporter to make it clear that he is indeed in limbo. I'd like to give Moos the benefit of the doubt on this, but if nothing else, he's not too sensitive to Miles' position. So I do understand why some are angry, even though I'm not. 

Beyond that, I'll still support Miles next year because that's what fans do, but I remain skeptical that he's the answer for the program. One thing I struggle with: Do fans really think Miles is going to get it done? I see some of the same people sticking up for him on one thread, and then on another thread commenting about how poorly he develops post players or how he needs an assistant who can coach offense or how his roster is always unsettled. I understand that he's upgraded our talent level, but that's coming off a very low base (Doc). But is the talent level good enough to overcome his shortcomings as a coach? I wonder if our low expectations aren't a big part of why the program underachieves. Look at any successful program that we would want to emulate and ask yourself whether they would accept these results. 

I always thought Doc developed his players; but thought the talent he brought in was a bit undewhelming.  Sort of the same with Barry.  Mid-major talent trying to play at a high- major program...

22 hours ago, basketballjones said:

What kind of stinks is asking “what if we just got lucky on selection Sunday?” And maybe we’re in the NCAA tournament, win or lose a game, I bet everyone’s pretty content right now. 

I understand your "what if".  But, I think the evidence is clear that we weren't even close.  We had a good year, but really didn't beat the teams we needed to, and paid the price.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

I always thought Doc developed his players; but thought the talent he brought in was a bit undewhelming.  Sort of the same with Barry.  Mid-major talent trying to play at a high- major program...

It always seems like there is one piece of the equation that's slightly off with Nebrasketball. Miles seems like the closest we've had to the total package (since Nee), but still his in-game coaching leaves a lot to be desired.

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

My thoughts as well.  HCTM (and staff) have done a good job upgrading our talent level, but has it been good enough to compete with upper echelons of the BIG, which is where we need to be in order to make it to the dance?   I don't think we're quite there yet, though I concede part of it may be coaching and development.  

That said, we did just finish a great season by most standards, and one of the interesting dichotomies of sports is that fans tend to think a season is a failure if a great season is followed by a quick loss in the post season, even though you are basing the overall success of that season off of an extremely small sample size.  

On 4/14/2018 at 11:43 AM, Jimmy said:

Unrealistic expectations?  Dear god if anyone thinks this team shouldnt be in the tournament or on the bubble almost every year or every 2 years and has lower expectations then apathy has set in.  No reason this program should be as bad as it is for as long as it has.

13 hours ago, coughunter said:

Unrealistic expectations?  Dear god if anyone thinks this team shouldnt be in the tournament or on the bubble almost every year or every 2 years and has lower expectations then apathy has set in.  No reason this program should be as bad as it is for as long as it has.

I  actually think we should have higher expectations for basketball as well. Look at Kansas football, heck they won an orange bowl ten years ago. I would think that if they can accomplish that just winning a game in the ncaa tourney should be doable. It only takes 2-3 guys in basketball to really change a team where football takes a lot more. 

I was saying the fans had unrealistic expectations more as a joke because I feel most people are patient with the basketball team. Or even worse a lot of people don’t care.