Is Bill Moos going to give me a year off my donations?

23 minutes ago, 49r said:

Always curious what a Jaysker thinks of a situation like this.  Find humor in it because of the AD's connection to the basketball program or be concerned as it could effect the football program.  Guess that's the double standard that they have to deal with!

2 hours ago, 49r said:

Interesting stuff. Moos probably cut some corners there, its gotta be tough to not be able to sell out the smallest power 5 stadium though. The university was wording it as 'Moos inflating numbers and giving away free tickets was a blow to the budget' - at the same token, Moos giving away seats (that were never going to be sat in) and inflating numbers was probably in the schools best interest. I'm guessing a lot of schools do similar things. Moral of the story, getting audited sucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Want to draw in legitimate talent? This goes beyond just a coach, but why did Chris Mack turn down so many power conference school offers and finally land on Louisville?

“I always wanted to take that next step at a place that truly cared about basketball.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/chris-mack-willing-risk-louisville-195610568.html

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Want to draw in legitimate talent? This goes beyond just a coach, but why did Chris Mack turn down so many power conference school offers and finally land on Louisville?

“I always wanted to take that next step at a place that truly cared about basketball.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/chris-mack-willing-risk-louisville-195610568.html

1.  Coaching stability.  Louisville has had 2 coaches in 46 years.  Both Crum and Pitino had bad seasons but never worried about getting fired.  The fans are actually patient out there.

2.  Metropolitan area:  Louisville is the 14th biggest metropolitan area in the country with direct flights all over the country.

3.  NBA arena.  With no NBA team to compete against.  Heck, Louisville is the big show in town.

4.  Solid non-conference schedule.  A guaranteed game against Kentucky every year with frequent match ups against Indiana.  Also, the local mid-major schools (WKU, Murray St, Southern Ill, etc.) help the RPI.  Louisville and WKU play almost every year (while Kentucky will do everything it can to avoid WKU).

5.  Central location.  Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville are manageable drives away.  There are daily direct flights to Washington DC and the New England area (e.g. access to lots of prep schools).

6.  Knowledgeable fan base.  I lived in Kentucky for a few years and found the locals to be very knowledge in basketball (without regard to whether they were Kentucky or Louisville fans).  I have heard the stories of Indiana residents and their fascination with basketball and have been more impressed with Kentuckians.    

7.  ACC.  Always a huge draw for coaches and players.

39 minutes ago, Donkey said:

1.  Coaching stability.  Louisville has had 2 coaches in 46 years.  Both Crum and Pitino had bad seasons but never worried about getting fired.  The fans are actually patient out there.

2.  Metropolitan area:  Louisville is the 14th biggest metropolitan area in the country with direct flights all over the country.

3.  NBA arena.  With no NBA team to compete against.  Heck, Louisville is the big show in town.

4.  Solid non-conference schedule.  A guaranteed game against Kentucky every year with frequent match ups against Indiana.  Also, the local mid-major schools (WKU, Murray St, Southern Ill, etc.) help the RPI.  Louisville and WKU play almost every year (while Kentucky will do everything it can to avoid WKU).

5.  Central location.  Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville are manageable drives away.  There are daily direct flights to Washington DC and the New England area (e.g. access to lots of prep schools).

6.  Knowledgeable fan base.  I lived in Kentucky for a few years and found the locals to be very knowledge in basketball (without regard to whether they were Kentucky or Louisville fans).  I have heard the stories of Indiana residents and their fascination with basketball and have been more impressed with Kentuckians.    

7.  ACC.  Always a huge draw for coaches and players.

And yet none of those points even referenced anything close to salaries, the depth of booster's pockets, or the athletic budget. Where's the downside? Besides strippers and shoes. :lol:

54 minutes ago, Donkey said:

Pitino had bad seasons but never worried about getting fired.

Are you talking about the one year where he only won 21 games and made the NIT during their first year in the Big East the year after going to the Final Four? 

1 minute ago, hhcdimes said:

Are you talking about the one year where he only won 21 games and made the NIT during their first year in the Big East the year after going to the Final Four? 

Beat me to it. Crum and Rick missed the NCAA/NIT 3 times in 45+ years - with like 80% of those being NCAA bids. Must have been rough for those LVille fans to not run them out of town. They didn’t have it easy like us husker fans.

4 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

And yet none of those points even referenced anything close to salaries, the depth of booster's pockets, or the athletic budget. Where's the downside? Besides strippers and shoes. :lol:

Wait what?  When did strippers and shoes become a bad thing? ?

Edited by Silverbacked1

19 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Pretty much.  A "down" year for a school like Louisville is to not make it to the Sweet 16 (which Pitino did 8 times in his career).  

19 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

While those things matter, (and Louisville has them) a good number of schools can compete with Louisville in those areas and a great number of them would love to have the intangibles I listed.  

Moos provides comments to the public about his recent firings:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/moos-sheds-light-on-his-recent-personnel-decisions/article_041f5014-5d6d-11e8-87e9-9f356a0f9b32.html

“With the resources we have at Nebraska, we should be in position to compete for championships,” he said. “I know we can. Sometimes a change, like in football, is necessary in order to kick-start and recharge a program, and get it turned around.”

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

Moos provides comments to the public about his recent firings:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/moos-sheds-light-on-his-recent-personnel-decisions/article_041f5014-5d6d-11e8-87e9-9f356a0f9b32.html

“With the resources we have at Nebraska, we should be in position to compete for championships,” he said. “I know we can. Sometimes a change, like in football, is necessary in order to kick-start and recharge a program, and get it turned around.”

Can't argue with the part of the article that you posted.  However, when you do well, aren't you suppose to get rewarded?  All the doom and gloom that has been Nebrasketball over my life time in the off season seems to have missed us this year (knock on wood) at least to now.