Is Bill Moos going to give me a year off my donations?

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

He's now working on a 3-year contract. Would it have made that much difference for him to get 4 years? And I don't know why you'd give him an unqualified endorsement with 5 or more years, because he just hasn't earned that. 

If all you're gonna do is give him a year, then give him the year and the nice public statement a month ago.   Would have reduced the wind-twisting, teeth gnashing, and speculation.   And the appearance that you've made the call that he isn't your guy.   Again, not arguing the merits of that call, but the handling of this has sucked.

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

We are currently paying Riley less because he has another job. I think the same is true for Pelini. Was I trying to say Miles was going to land another $2+ mil job? No and doubtful.

If anything the football coach's contract illustrate that Miles' job wouldn't be significantly more secure with a longer contract.

You know that Riley rubbed the mitigation provision in our nose with a 50 grand salary, right?

4 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I don't believe that's a foregone conclusion at all.

Thats where we differ. I do. I agree with Norms line of thinking in the post above. If I were Miles I would be gone. This would tell me the AD has no belief in me just the same as the last AD. And I am not saying he deserves belief. But to me this shows Miles exactly where he stands and if I were him I do not like the ground I am standing on. 

1 minute ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Thats where we differ. I do. I agree with Norms line of thinking in the post above. If I were Miles I would be gone. This would tell me the AD has no belief in me just the same as the last AD. And I am not saying he deserves belief. But to me this shows Miles exactly where he stands and if I were him I do not like the ground I am standing on. 

A lot of that is on him. He can firm up that ground this season. I get why Moos wouldn't want to give him a long term deal. His tenure here has been more volatile than it has been steady. As much as I maybe disagree with how this whole thing was handled doesn't mean there isn't some merit to it. It's a prove it season for Miles. I do believe he wants to be here and that he wants to be the guy here for a long time. He gets his chance to show he's the guy for the job this season.

Just now, uneblinstu said:

A lot of that is on him. He can firm up that ground this season. I get why Moos wouldn't want to give him a long term deal. His tenure here has been more volatile than it has been steady. As much as I maybe disagree with how this whole thing was handled doesn't mean there isn't some merit to it. It's a prove it season for Miles. I do believe he wants to be here and that he wants to be the guy here for a long time. He gets his chance to show he's the guy for the job this season.

This.

2 minutes ago, huskerpower13 said:

When did 22-11 overall and 13-5 in the conference become not good enough for Husker fans? Sure our schedule was a little on the easier side this year, and it would have been nice to see a better finish in the conference tournament and NIT. I get the impression from reading these boards that some people forget this was a historic season for the team. Yeah it's crazy making the NIT and bowing out game 1 is historic but that's the sad state of affairs of Husker hoops.

It sure made for a fun season to watch. I'm not so certain people are thinking that it wasn't "good enough for Husker fans" but more so not good enough to make the tournament. Aside from negative Big Ten bias from media and computers, we played a fairly mid-major schedule and it wasn't quite good enough to get us there. I would be the first to say that I'm disappointed in Miles since he was heralded as an RPI guru, but I also can't blame him either for scheduling easier this past year to help protect himself from another bad season.

Doc's total wins were 17, 20, 18, 15, 19, and 12. Miles was 15, 19, 13, 16, 12, 22. Both coaches had very similar RPIs as well. If you're satisfied with beating up on the UABs or Arkansas Little Rocks of the world, then great let's get 25 wins a season. But if you want do what it takes to get into the tournament under the new criteria, it's going to take a lot more than having one excellent win on the season to get in.

2 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I agree 100% with you except for one part. I think he did want to be here long term. My guess is that has now changed. To me after next year this is starting to look like a complete rebuild again and I am not will to concede that is entirely Miles fault. And after 2 years of basically a "prove it" contract his "want to be here" will be gone.

Just now, HuskerFever said:

It sure made for a fun season to watch. I'm not so certain people are thinking that it wasn't "good enough for Husker fans" but more so not good enough to make the tournament. Aside from negative Big Ten bias from media and computers, we played a fairly mid-major schedule and it wasn't quite good enough to get us there. I would be the first to say that I'm disappointed in Miles since he was heralded as an RPI guru, but I also can't blame him either for scheduling easier this past year to help protect himself from another bad season.

Doc's total wins were 17, 20, 18, 15, 19, and 12. Miles was 15, 19, 13, 16, 12, 22. Both coaches had very similar RPIs as well. If you're satisfied with beating up on the UABs or Arkansas Little Rocks of the world, then great let's get 25 wins a season. But if you want do what it takes to get into the tournament under the new criteria, it's going to take a lot more than having one excellent win on the season to get in.

I really don't know how people can blame Miles for the RPI thing.

Scheduling wasn't the issue.   We beat UCF and Minnesota and Northwestern do what they were expected to do and our SOS/RPI is quite a bit higher.

I agree 100% with you except for one part. I think he did want to be here long term. My guess is that has now changed. To me after next year this is starting to look like a complete rebuild again and I am not will to concede that is entirely Miles fault. And after 2 years of basically a "prove it" contract his "want to be here" will be gone.

$2.5MM or more, creates a lot of "want to be here"      There still won't be a ton of jobs coming around offering him that much.

Just now, cornfed24-7 said:

Correct.  It isn't going to matter who the coach is in 2-3 years, it is going to be a rough season.

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

$2.5MM or more, creates a lot of "want to be here"      There still won't be a ton of jobs coming around offering him that much.

Very valid point as well. My counter point is going to be the very basic "Money isn't everything." I myself have taken a job for less money after considering all factors and I have no where near Miles financial security. Miles has made what, north of $10,000,000 since he's been here? 

That's certainly possible, but there are a number of things that could happen that could impact Miles' future here. If he has another 20+ win season, I'm confident they'll be in the tourney. If he does that, he'll be in the catbird seat. We can go round and round about how and why Miles is in the situation he's in and who's at fault, and maybe it's not all on him, but a lot of it is.

6 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I really don't know how people can blame Miles for the RPI thing.

Scheduling wasn't the issue.   We beat UCF and Minnesota and Northwestern do what they were expected to do and our SOS/RPI is quite a bit higher.

Yeah I get that. I think he was expecting to win fewer games but also didn't expect to play Marist and deal with such a downed Big Ten. The scheduling issue for me this past season was that we lost some games we needed to win and the margin for error was razor thin before we even hit the end of December.

47 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If I'm Miles, and you're the AD, and you do what you say and I kick ass next year and win an NCAA tourney game, and you then approach me about a long term deal, I'm going to say, "Long term?  Like what? Two years instead of one?  So generous.  Thanks, but I'm going to find a 7 year deal somewhere else and good luck with the coaching search to replace me."

If I'm Moos this year, I come out PROMPTLY after the Final 4 with AT LEAST a 2 year deal if not 3.  Maybe structure buyouts in such a way that I can cut ties a little more easily next year if things go south.  But I bring Tim forward at a press conference and  praise him effusively for the great season we had this year and how we got screwed out of an NCAA tourney appearance the team had clearly earned.

What do we have instead?  The good feelings that should have carried us forward into next year following one of the best regular season runs in program history have COMPLETELY dissipated.  Gone away.  Gone.  No good will; no good feelings; no positive momentum carrying us forward into next year. None.  Completely screwed the positive momentum that would have given us a foot in the door in recruiting.

The way this has been handled has been a complete cluster fuck.

I had the same initial reaction as you did and  still feel the same about the way it was handled....but if that situation does arise and Miles leads us to the Tourney and leaves for a "better" job, we still have a tourney win, and now moos can play the card that we stuck with the a guy through hard times and are willing to work with a coach.  It may go a long way in the next coaching search in that scenario...Evil genius??

Very valid point as well. My counter point is going to be the very basic "Money isn't everything." I myself have taken a job for less money after considering all factors and I have no where near Miles financial security. Miles has made what, north of $10,000,000 since he's been here? 

Well..if he goes 24-11 and wins a tourney game next year....he's going to get a multi-year extension and the money.   Even if he's done that, he's still not done enough to get an offer from a big boy and highly doubt he leaves this place for less money and the same tenured deal.

2 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

That's certainly possible, but there are a number of things that could happen that could impact Miles' future here. If he has another 20+ win season, I'm confident they'll be in the tourney. If he does that, he'll be in the catbird seat. We can go round and round about how and why Miles is in the situation he's in and who's at fault, and maybe it's not all on him, but a lot of it is.

I really have no intention of going around and around with you. I agree with like 95% of what you are saying. I just see the roster after next year as a complete mess. And thats if Roby stays. With taking fault out of it if you are Miles and you have a great year I believe your opportunity to parlay that into another job is at your highest level of opportunity  next year. To clarify the best job he is going to be able to get regardless if it is worse, the same, or better is next year if he has a good year at Nebraska. And I also believe if he had a great year next year and chose to stay his likely hood of being fired in the following 2-3 years is still much high than it would be if he took a different job because of where I believe Nebraskas roster will be at after next season. Clear as mud?

27 minutes ago, huskerpower13 said:

First post here and this is a general post for all these Tim Miles extension threads.

When did 22-11 overall and 13-5 in the conference become not good enough for Husker fans? Sure our schedule was a little on the easier side this year, and it would have been nice to see a better finish in the conference tournament and NIT. I get the impression from reading these boards that some people forget this was a historic season for the team. Yeah it's crazy that making the NIT and bowing out game 1 is historic but that's the sad state of affairs of Husker hoops. 

A one year extension is a massive setback to any progress that's been made in this program over Miles' tenure. Two postseason appearances and a program that is finally able to attract talent, regardless of whether through transfer or recruiting. It just feels as if all that has now been thrown out the door just to leave us in limbo for a year with a lame duck coach. I just feel this year was a crossroads year for his contract. Either he's your guy and you extend him AT LEAST 2 years to let him keep the ball rolling, or you decide he's not your guy and move on. This just feels like a situation where Bill Moos got this completely wrong and we're the ones to suffer.

This would be good enough for Husker fans if it was the norm and not the exception.  He should be evaluated for his 6 years here and not just based on last year.  I've been a huge Miles supporter but I want someone that can capitalize on a successful season instead of following it up with another bad year.  I do agree that Moos should have decided if he thinks Miles is his guy or not and acted accordingly.  Extending it only 1 (or even 2) years is not a vote of confidence.  Based on Miles record, I think I might have decided to go a new direction.  We have finished 10th place or lower in the conference every year except two.  He has an overall winning percentage of .500% and conference record of .426%.  He is 0-6 against Creighton and 0-1 in NCAA tournament and 0-1 in NIT.  Not exactly the kind of numbers that warrant an extension.

2 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I really have no intention of going around and around with you. I agree with like 95% of what you are saying. I just see the roster after next year as a complete mess. And thats if Roby stays. With taking fault out of it if you are Miles and you have a great year I believe your opportunity to parlay that into another job is at your highest level of opportunity  next year. To clarify the best job he is going to be able to get regardless if it is worse, the same, or better is next year if he has a good year at Nebraska. And I also believe if he had a great year next year and chose to stay his likely hood of being fired in the following 2-3 years is still much high than it would be if he took a different job because of where I believe Nebraskas roster will be at after next season. Clear as mud?

Yep. HA! I think one thing is clear: The next season is gonna be full of drama, one way or the other.

6 minutes ago, huskerpower13 said:

What makes you guys think Tim will stick around after next season even with success? He's been shown no confidence from our administration since the time he's been here and if I was him I would be out the door at first chance because of this.

He makes a lot of money and there’s been little reason for confidence. 

8 minutes ago, huskerpower13 said:

What makes you guys think Tim will stick around after next season even with success? He's been shown no confidence from our administration since the time he's been here and if I was him I would be out the door at first chance because of this.

Because he is under contract for three years.