Is Bill Moos going to give me a year off my donations?

To me, this should be a pretty easy call for Moo's.  When you look at Miles overall resume here at NU, he should not be granted any extension.  In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if Moos is already looking at other coaches to gauge interest.  If he was "all in" on Miles, he would have already offered extension.  Why grant an extension when there is a chance you may need to fire him next year and just pay additional money.  If I was Moos, I'd just let Miles coach next year under current contract or fire him now.  I've been a huge Miles fan but doesn't appear Miles is going to put this program at the level we all should expect it to be on a consistant basis.  I think it's time for a change in direction.

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

This isn't twitter or Rivals; don't bully people.

I think I've figured out the reason for the rash of red down arrows we've seen in recent days.  It's the new react system.  Most technologically challenged people (like myself) can't figure out how to get past the down vote thingee.  Perhaps you could move it to the far left side so people can hit the like button they intended to in the first place. :)

20 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

I think I've figured out the reason for the rash of red down arrows we've seen in recent days.  It's the new react system.  Most technologically challenged people (like myself) can't figure out how to get past the down vote thingee.  Perhaps you could move it to the far left side so people can hit the like button they intended to in the first place. :)

It's possible to change one's vote.

Here is me accidentally putting in a downvote and changing it to a like.

The simplest thing is to just double click...it gives you a "like"

arrow.gif

If you're chalking up the down arrows in this thread to accidents could I interest you in selling some Angus flavored tofu burgers at your place?

13 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

It's possible to change one's vote.

Here is me accidentally putting in a downvote and changing it to a like.

The simplest thing is to just double click...it gives you a "like"

arrow.gif

If you're chalking up the down arrows in this thread to accidents could I interest you in selling some Angus flavored tofu burgers at your place?

Hey, I'm a glass half full type of guy.  Sometimes, the glass has water.  Sometimes, urine.....

7 hours ago, Donkey said:

The phrase “dumpster fire” gets thrown around too often similar to how everyone uses the term “perfect storm”. Moos is definitely mishandling the situation, but the result will hardly be a calamity. Sadly enough, worst case scenario will be no different than where we were a year ago, eg losing 10+ conference games and worrying about losing to schools like Incarnate Word. 2017-2018 was an exceptional year for Nebraska but most other schools, 22-10 is an average year. 

I agree Moos needs to make a clear, unequivocal move. Moos did not create this mess, but he must fix it. He is gambling that the mess will fix itself. Lots of people take that gamble and end up with mediocre results. Moos wants Miles to prove himself to get the extension. A second consecutive winning season shows Miles is building something. A losing season in 2018-2019 means this last season was an aberration, and Miles is gone. Bad strategy. 

If Miles had been taking his job seriously, Xiaver Johnson would be a nonissue.  The kid was Miles #1 recruit and it is being reported that Miles did not have much of a relationship with Xavier. That raises red flags. Miles is the head man. Kids should want to play for him and not just an assist coach. If the kid is not loyal to Miles, will the kid follow Miles coaching?

No inside info, but Kenya Hunter leaving is likely more about Kenya than Miles and Moos. This situation is not the first time an assist left to coach with one of the Hurley clan. Dan Hurley is considered an up and comer, and UConn is a good school with a national reputation. In the history of college basketball only 8 of the national championship matchups featured schools not from the Eastern Time zone, and Kenya seems to want to get back to the east coast. 

+1. It’s almost as if Miles doesn’t even want this job anymore. You know what they say in Inglorious Bastards.  Oblige him. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

I thought the choices were either: fire Miles or extend him right away to stabilize the program for the next year.

I had no idea there was a third option: hem and haw and let the program blow in the wind.

It has been hard not to feel like the fans care more than the administration the last 2 decades.

19 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

I thought the choices were either: fire Miles or extend him right away to stabilize the program for the next year.

I had no idea there was a third option: hem and haw and let the program blow in the wind.

It has been hard not to feel like the fans care more than the administration the last 2 decades.

And the third option is by far the worst one the administration could’ve done

19 hours ago, PimpMario said:
19 hours ago, Jugular said:

And the third option is by far the worst one the administration could’ve done

Exactly, I didn't think that Moos would take the third option. From the outside it doesn't look good.

Maybe we haven't heard anything is because is he shopping around for a new coach and taking his time to make sure we have a "home run" hire this time.  I would have to believe if he was extending Miles contract, it would be done already.  Sure makes me think there is more going on behind the scenes than we know about.

Edited by kldm64

31 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Maybe we haven't heard anything is because is he shopping around for a new coach and taking his time to make sure we have a "home run" hire this time.  I would have to believe if he was extending Miles contract, it would be done already.  Sure makes me think there is more going on behind the scenes than we know about.

Not a revelation, that's been getting posted about for weeks 

Yeah my implication was that maybe there is something on the inside going on. But from the outside it looks like incompetence.

44 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Possible, but for Moos to publicly say 'I'm not looking for another coach' and then to hire another coach would make him, well, a liar.  Which is not a good look IMO, but then again, maybe it's not uncommon in this business.  

48 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

No way an AD comes out and publicly says he's keeping a coach....and then fires him. If Moos was indeed looking around he's been denied and is done gauging interest until next year or years after 

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

Hasn't he already said that Tim was his coach for next season?

Just spoke with Bill Moos in regards to Tim Miles. Asked him point blank if Miles will be the coach here next season.

"Oh yeah. Tim is my coach," he said.

Wasn't ready to talk specifics, but hopes to have an extension done sometime shortly after the Final Four. #Huskers

— Chris Basnett (@HuskerExtraCB) March 27, 2018

So what has changed???

5 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Just spoke with Bill Moos in regards to Tim Miles. Asked him point blank if Miles will be the coach here next season.

"Oh yeah. Tim is my coach," he said.

Wasn't ready to talk specifics, but hopes to have an extension done sometime shortly after the Final Four. #Huskers

— Chris Basnett (@HuskerExtraCB) March 27, 2018

So what has changed???

Kenya Hunter left and we lost our top recruit for next year.  And our top 3 players are all being evaluated for the draft.  That is what has changed.  Most likely Roby will be back, 50/50 on Palmer returning and would say 95% Copeland will be gone. Most likely Miles will be back next year but I'd be shocked if Moos hasn't put some feelers out to other coaches even with him saying Tim is his coach.  What else would you expect him to say until he has another coach hired?  

39 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Kenya Hunter left and we lost our top recruit for next year.  And our top 3 players are all being evaluated for the draft.  That is what has changed.  Most likely Roby will be back, 50/50 on Palmer returning and would say 95% Copeland will be gone. Most likely Miles will be back next year but I'd be shocked if Moos hasn't put some feelers out to other coaches even with him saying Tim is his coach.  What else would you expect him to say until he has another coach hired?  

Is the departure of the referenced players fact?  

Miles has never been an assistant coach in his life. He has been a head coach his entire adult life. He has been successful at building programs. He's not at the end of his career. He's employable.

If we make the assumption that after a year he flames out and is fired it's very likely that he will be hired within a year for 3+ years.  If you take that into consideration then extending him multiple years is not paying him 2+ million per year for x years; it's extending him for 2+ million minus what another school pays him.  At the moment we're talking about handicapping Miles' ability to hire a good assistant and to recruit, which is critical.  For a University that seems to pride itself on being clean in recruiting this is one way to invest in recruiting above board. If Miles isn't your guy, fine; why would you want to put the next guy at a starting disadvantage?