Danny Nee's Old Hang-out (one of them, anyway)

Barry's in a bit of hot water but didn't get their liquor license yanked, so I guess lucky for them.

http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/barry-s-found-guilty-of-overserving-allowed-to-remain-open/article_75ca51d5-b3bf-5d2e-b064-12424a16a135.html

Just curious what people's experiences there have been.

I don't get to Barry's much at all.  It was probably about a year ago last time I was there, and there was definitely a problem with a guy being overserved, and it really kind of pissed me off, to be really honest about it.

My wife and I were on a "date night," and had gone out to eat and decided to get drinks and enjoy the evening.  It was during the week sometime, like on a Tuesday maybe, and the place wasn't very crowded.  The upper deck area was open and there was a some guy who was obviously celebrating his birthday there and was dancing with this blonde woman and dancing a little erotically and was obviously very inebriated.  Due to a combination of noise, chill in the air and a little attitude from the bartender upstairs (who my wife thought looked like the Channel 8 weekend weather girl), we went downstairs.

At some point while we were down stairs, the birthday boy comes STUMBLING down the steps and is very, very plastered.  Unsteady on his feet, stumbling around, etc.  He finds a booth nearby and sits by himself, barely conscious and eventually passes out on the table.  Several moments go by and a bouncer comes over, wakes him up, and kicks him out.  He offered a little bit of resistance, but not much.  Mostly just noise.  And I'm thinking "OK, great, so now what's he gonna do? Get in his car and go kill someone?"

So I, just a simple patron of the place, ran back upstairs to try to find the people he'd been with, located the woman he was dancing with who confirmed "Yes, that's my husband."  And notified her, "Well, they just kicked him out."

Couldn't the dickhead from Barry's have done that?  Couldn't the dickhead from Barry's have at least asked the guy if he was there with anyone?  And then gotten them to take him home?  Apparently not, because after serving this guy to the point of falling-down-drunkenness, they tossed him without bothering to do any of the above.

So, while I like the sort of history of the place as being an old Danny Nee haunt, and while I think they certainly have upgraded the exterior and given it some street appeal, they haven't seemed to adhere to the obligations of responsible bar ownership, and hopefully this latest trouble will serve as a wake-up call.

16 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

The attitude of blaming the patrons and painting Barry’s as the victims here doesn’t lend to much sympathy from me. They are making a crap load of money from selling drinks in a college town, they should take some responsibility for that.

Barry's is just as much a victim as Kansas is with this FBI investigation :lol:

3 hours ago, HB said:

Norm, I appreciate the attemt to change the subject from how my alma mater is handling the basketball program!   But I refuse to be cheered up or distracted from my angst!  B)

I have the perfect solution:  Just go to Barry's and they will continue selling you booze until you've lost consciousness and will feel no pain.  Or angst.  Until the morning.

But at least you take the night off, right?

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I have the perfect solution:  Just go to Barry's and they will continue selling you booze until you've lost consciousness and will feel no pain.  Or angst.  Until the morning.

But at least you take the night off, right?

Here's even better solution:  in my chair at home, whiskey bottle primed.    No driving or getting kicked out of Barry's.  Just the dog and me.  And the whiskey.  

I went there before the Iowa game. I was with 2 Iowa fans that wanted to check it out cause they heard about it.  The place was filthy.  Two attractive bartenders there around 3 that didnt seem to care about much.  The beer was served in plastic pitchers and old plastic cups.  The beer tasted old and dirty.   I assume the lines hadnt been cleaned in awhile.  I went up to the bar to get more pitchers and sat there for 5 mins while the girls talked to 2 guys sitting at the bar.  The place wasnt busy at all at that time. I went to the restroom and one urinal had a black bag over it and the other had what looked like pulled pork in it from the night before.  Never the less we obviously didnt eat there and left shortly after.

• 2 months later...

Barry's is under high scrutiny right now; and rightfully so.  This last incident was because a dude was acting clumsily and when the police tested his BAC he registered .157 which certainly means the dude was drunk, but I would guess you could walk into nearly any bar in the country and find at least one patron who would register somewhere close to that mark.  I am not saying that is morally right, but I am not a bartender at a large bar either.  When do you shut someone off?

I hate Barry's. Mostly because I'm old now and hate hanging around college kids. (get off my lawn). Despite having so many people working, or at least in Barry's shirts, the service is terrible. I can't speak to the food, I've never eaten there. do they still have food? I'd rather eat at the taco truck outside anyway. But that's how they see they're gonna make money. Not off of old farts like me that would pop in occasionally at best, but with college kids looking for a cheap buzz. Which would work if you just hired or trained your employees better. 

Hang on this isn't Yelp...

2 hours ago, Red Rum said:

I hate Barry's. Mostly because I'm old now and hate hanging around college kids. (get off my lawn). Despite having so many people working, or at least in Barry's shirts, the service is terrible. I can't speak to the food, I've never eaten there. do they still have food? I'd rather eat at the taco truck outside anyway. But that's how they see they're gonna make money. Not off of old farts like me that would pop in occasionally at best, but with college kids looking for a cheap buzz. Which would work if you just hired or trained your employees better. 

Hang on this isn't Yelp...

It's such a cool venue, too.  That's one thing that makes this stuff so disappointing.  If they were just a bit more concerned about quality and less about volume ...

It really ought to be a great place.  If the bar fails (for reasons described above) I would REALLY love to see a high quality food joint go in there.  It has a great location a very short walk from a parking garage or two, it has nice street appeal and there's a lot to be said for the interior as well.

On 7/12/2018 at 2:46 PM, cipsucks said:

They're in the process of dropping it again.  However, if you're in the mood for a great burger, we've opened a restaurant in Omaha on 168th just north of Tiburon called Angus Burgers and Shakes.  ?

Damn doing well CIP. Any blue jay stuff in the restaurant? Im kidding you Cip. Do you have your wait staff in Bikinis?

Edited by Bugeaters1

17 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I’m not defending Barry’s by any means, but it sure seems like someone has it out for them or they’ve had a case of bad luck frequently. I went to UNL, Barry’s certainly isn’t the only place overserving their patrons. However, seems to be one of the few that gets caught. 

I guess it could be worse...

https://journalstar.com/business/local/heidelberg-s-owner-loses-appeal-over-loss-of-license/article_88d2bbd5-23f3-58fd-af1d-9e86cf32a047.html

On 7/12/2018 at 2:46 PM, cipsucks said:

They're in the process of dropping it again.  However, if you're in the mood for a great burger, we've opened a restaurant in Omaha on 168th just north of Tiburon called Angus Burgers and Shakes.  ?

Read this this morning, tried it this afternoon. Two thumbs up!!!

Just how hot is the Angry Cow?? The waitress talked me out of it... but I’m curious.