NBA Playoffs

khoock

Conference Semifinal Results

(4) Cleveland over (1) Toronto 4-0

(2) Boston over (3) Philadelphia 4-1

(1) Houston over (5) Utah 4-1

(2) Golden State over (6) New Orleans 4-1

Not surprised at how the West semis turned out. But I am surprised about how uncompetitive the East semis were.

24 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, was the losing coach in that series going to get fired?

I think it was how they lost for Casey, they were the #1 seed and got straight boat-raced. If it goes 6 or 7 I think they hold on to him. 2-12 against the Cavs in the playoffs the last 3 years.

The Cavs will be interesting. If Lebron bails this offseason do they keep Lue and try and build around their lottery pick? Do they scrap everything and start fresh? Gonna be interesting how it plays out.

Edited by The Polish Rifle

Coach of the year = fired.  Definitely a players league.  Easiest and cheapest person to fire is the coach.  Not being able to coach those two players to properly tip in the missed shot (I believe that was game two) ended up being a life changer for Casey ?

Edited by Huskerpapa

On 5/12/2018 at 9:30 AM, Huskerpapa said:

Coach of the year = fired.  Definitely a players league.  Easiest and cheapest person to fire is the coach.  Not being able to coach those two players to properly tip in the missed shot (I believe that was game two) ended up being a life changer for Casey ?

That was game one that Toronto lost 113-112 in OT.

2 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I wonder if Bill Shelf is willing to take the vacant Toronto Raptors in order to avoid any potential NCAA sanctions? (similar to Pete Carroll)

The thing about these upper echelon coaches is that they truly believe their poop doesn't stink.  They do not believe that the NCAA  will sanction one of their main moneymakers.   Quite frankly, there is likely  some truth to that belief.  Tark, perhaps Sampson  and very few others have felt the wrath of the governing body.  Has the NCAA banned Petino?   Maybe I am not remembering major basketball sanctions against a specific high level coach.

The Spurs just announced that they are moving in a new direction with their cheerleader squad.

https://sports.yahoo.com/spurs-reportedly-disband-female-dance-squad-family-friendly-co-ed-hype-team-221721033.html

Now the real question is... are they going to move more in the direction of a co-ed Creighton awkward hype squad or a co-ed Shim Shams squad?

All of the NBA " Experts" had a Celtic and Warriors sweep after game one, and had lengthy debates regarding LeBron's legacy since he was clearly done too. Then a funny thing happened, they kept playing actual games (not just talking about them) and I'll be damned but last time I checked looks like each one might go 6 or 7. 

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

All of the NBA " Experts" had a Celtic and Warriors sweep after game one, and had lengthy debates regarding LeBron's legacy since he was clearly done too. Then a funny thing happened, they kept playing actual games (not just talking about them) and I'll be damned but last time I checked looks like each one might go 6 or 7. 

Who ever thought a Celtics team that was 1-4 on the road in the playoffs was gonna beat LeBron twice in Cleveland... idk about them man.

Warriors sweeping the Rockets? Ehh i wouldnt have argued with that. Rocket showed alot about their heart and toughness last night; something that i personally was questioning.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Only "experts" I heard, and please keep in mind I only heard it because my son-in-law had ESPN on before Game 1 because I don't watch the NBA anymore, said the Cavs in 4 or 5.

No reason to start a new thread on this, so I'll just put it right here.

I'm not sure how many of you have been following the Stanley Cup playoffs, but it's been quite an interesting one this season.

Tampa Bay Lightning shattered many team records this season and went on a solid run in the playoffs. Washington Capitals finally got the monkey not their backs and beat the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2nd round. The Winnipeg Jets showed Atlanta hockey teams how to run a program that can win some playoff games. And the Vegas Golden Knights, a brand new expansion draft team, proved they belonged in the playoffs this season.

And now, starting on Monday, Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals begins. It's Vegas Golden Knights (the team who didn't have a head coach signed until March 2017) and Washington Capitals (the team who has only made it to/past the Eastern Conference Finals once, 20 years ago). Both teams have never won a Stanley Cup.

Vegas plays with speed. Washington  plays with strength. It should be an interesting one.

8 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

No reason to start a new thread on this, so I'll just put it right here.

I'm not sure how many of you have been following the Stanley Cup playoffs, but it's been quite an interesting one this season.

Tampa Bay Lightning shattered many team records this season and went on a solid run in the playoffs. Washington Capitals finally got the monkey not their backs and beat the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2nd round. The Winnipeg Jets showed Atlanta hockey teams how to run a program that can win some playoff games. And the Vegas Golden Knights, a brand new expansion draft team, proved they belonged in the playoffs this season.

And now, starting on Monday, Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals begins. It's Vegas Golden Knights (the team who didn't have a head coach signed until March 2017) and Washington Capitals (the team who has only made it to/past the Eastern Conference Finals once, 20 years ago). Both teams have never won a Stanley Cup.

Vegas plays with speed. Washington  plays with strength. It should be an interesting one.

So, I've always wondered why off-topic posts about hockey don't draw the same disdainful reactions that off-topic posts about soccer draw.

On 4/16/2018 at 8:24 AM, Blindcheck said:

Giannis does not get the calls that other superstars seem to get.  ON the final foul, had he had a Celtics across his chest and Not Bucks, that is a jump ball 100% of the time.

The NBA protects its Brand teams and potential ratings....Teams like indiana and Milwaukee have to win convincingly or they really get screwed in close games by calls seemingly always going to the Brand teams (Celtics, Lakers, or teams with the top stars like Golden St and Cleveland).  I am hoping the Giannis can become the star that Curry has become so Milwaukee can get the calls that Golden St or Cleveland gets...as they never got them before they got their stars.

Just belatedly jumping in to say ME TOO.  Bucks fan.  I'm old enough to remember having to get thru Bird Celtics and Dr J Sixers in the east. Sometimes they'd get by one, but never both.  Good teams back then tho.  What do you think of Bud  as HC?  I like it.  He did good things with some no names in ATL.  

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, I've always wondered why off-topic posts about hockey don't draw the same disdainful reactions that off-topic posts about soccer draw.

There are those who will flop in all sports including hockey, and all sports have those who refuse to participate in such nonsense. Footballers have a saying that sums it up nicely, “divers are wankers.” 

8 hours ago, wordyginters said:

Just belatedly jumping in to say ME TOO.  Bucks fan.  I'm old enough to remember having to get thru Bird Celtics and Dr J Sixers in the east. Sometimes they'd get by one, but never both.  Good teams back then tho.  What do you think of Bud  as HC?  I like it.  He did good things with some no names in ATL.  

I like the hire of Bud as coach and think he might have been the best on the market...

I was very intrigued by Becky Hammon...I think she might have been the type of coach paired with Giannis that the NBA would have put on the list to get favorable treatment.....I don't think the NBA will want Becky to fail, so her teams might get a few more of the 50/50 calls.