Next Assistant Coach

Huskerpapa

I was hoping that we could pick up Jonas Hayes who was a Georgia assistant, but alas, timing is everything.  Xavier just picked him up.  Minnesota picked up a good one earlier today in Rob Jeter. 

Interested in thoughts, wishes and hopes.  I mentioned elsewhere that I would love to find someone who has great ties to the East/Southeast area of the country.  I guess it wouldn't hurt if we could latch onto someone who has a number of four stars in tow.  We also need someone who can develop players in the frontcourt AND someone who can be a great game planner. 

Not asking for the world...whatever, yes I am. 

Edited by Huskerpapa

38 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

...and yeah, I know, it will be tough with the perception of dead man walking; yada, yada, yada.  Be that as it may, we need to lock down a stud assistant.

Wish we could but no great assistant will take a job in Lincoln until Moos poops or gets off the pot with Miles contract.  I know if you're looking you don't want to extend and make the pay out more but not doing so may set the program back a long ways.

Hopefully we look for someone with player development skills and some game plan knowledge like inbounce plays or offensive sets. IMO recruiting can be kinda an afterthought. I’d bet it’s gonna be a mid major assistant unless we get a vote of confidence from our AD.

kenya leaving isn’t the end all be all, he was a hell of a recruiter but he wasn’t the main recruiter on all our guys. I would gladly trade what he had for recruiting ability for an up n coming assistant with that kinda ability as a developer of current players

14 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Hopefully we look for someone with player development skills and some game plan knowledge like inbounce plays or offensive sets. IMO recruiting can be kinda an afterthought. I’d bet it’s gonna be a mid major assistant unless we get a vote of confidence from our AD.

kenya leaving isn’t the end all be all, he was a hell of a recruiter but he wasn’t the main recruiter on all our guys. I would gladly trade what he had for recruiting ability for an up n coming assistant with that kinda ability as a developer of current players

You must miss Craig Smith.

2 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

You must miss Craig Smith.

Didn’t follow the team in depth at that time but from how others talk he is the kinda guy I would be looking for. He was rather successful at South Dakota as the head coach. 

I have no clue who they would target and I saw someone else started a petino thread(lolz) but I’d like to see them make a serious run at David Padgett. He was a pretty successful college big man, has a few years as an assistant under his belt, did a pretty fine job in a messy situation as a head coach for one year, and is only 33.

Matt Graves was the star assistant for Brad Stevens at Butler and was recently let go as the head coach of South Alabama.

He brings the gameplan and development skills some think we need as well as good midwest recruiting chops.

I'd be estatic if we grabbed him. 

Edited by Blackshirt83

4 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

Matt Graves was the star assistant for Brad Stevens at Butler and was recently let go as the head coach of South Alabama.

He brings the gameplan and development skills some think we need as well as good midwest recruiting chops.

Anyone who thinks this coach will not be African American is, well, not realistic.   (I realize I just cut down my own "hire Norm" post).  

Edited by HB

11 hours ago, HB said:

Norm.   Really knows shooting.   Would use a mean semi-colon in any prepared statements.    Tolerates no knees bending the wrong way.    Would take the job. 

Well ... Miles' people reached out to my people and hinted that if I was willing to accept an offer, they would make one.

I asked would it come with a country club membership?  Oh yeah.

How about use of a car?   Yep, of course.

My own private chef and an unlimited supply of beer?  Uh, no.

Sorry, deal breaker.

I think I'll use the overture to get a raise at work, though.

5 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

This is intriguing.  Is there any overlap with him and Lewis at Butler?

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Well ... Miles' people reached out to my people and hinted that if I was willing to accept an offer, they would make one.

I asked would it come with a country club membership?  Oh yeah.

How about use of a car?   Yep, of course.

My own private chef and an unlimited supply of beer?  Uh, no.

Sorry, deal breaker.

I think I'll use the overture to get a raise at work, though.

4.jpg

6 hours ago, jimmykc said:

The Butler Way. Maybe we could even convince Barry to return as an AD this time.

jimmy, I have no idea why, but the red down arrows have been flying around this site recently.  Maybe it's the world we live in.  Maybe it's because people don't have time to hug the people they love.  Maybe it's because of financial pressures.  Maybe it's because the weather is more like winter than spring.

I truly think it's because they've never heard the Turtles.