Minnesota Fans

Bugeaters1

stollings headed for TT...

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/09/gophers-womens-basketball-head-coach-marlene-stollings-leaves-for-texas-tech/

couple of names being thrown around by fans: Ivy from ND and Baranczyk from Drake. knowing minny, i am sure they will go after a female (not that there is anything wrong with that). although, JD Gravina from western illinois is mentioned. a well respected minny sports broadcaster states his first call would be to lindsay whelan and find out her interest. StarTrib states two names to watch are SDSU's Aaron Johnston and gopher assistant Nikki Lowry-Dawkins.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

4 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/09/gophers-womens-basketball-head-coach-marlene-stollings-leaves-for-texas-tech/

couple of names being thrown around by fans: Ivy from ND and Baranczyk from Drake. knowing minny, i am sure they will go after a female (not that there is anything wrong with that). although, JD Gravina from western illinois is mentioned. a well respected minny sports broadcaster states his first call would be to lindsay whelan and find out her interest. StarTrib states two names to watch are SDSU's Aaron Johnston and gopher assistant Nikki Lowry-Dawkins.

I had seen earlier that the job was hers. she just had to say yes. got busy at work and hadn't time to read tweeter. The Drake coach would be good, as she is easy on the eyes.

4 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

Why is Minny hung up on having a Women as coach?

20 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Why is Minny hung up on having a Women as coach?

kinda goes back to when they had "co" AD's (back in the 80-90's?) think things may have settled down a bit, but, they use to have some "powerful" women that really raised heck and the men and women's programs were pretty divided.  

Edited by whoopdeedoo

55 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

i just happen to catch an interview with coach whalen. she said she figured at some point in her life she would have an opportunity to coach  gopher wbb. she didn't expect it to be quite this soon, but, she also thought the timing was right.

You must live on the eastern side of SD. to get all of the Minny news?

yep, live in ne/sd, so a lot of goofer coverage. listen to kfan out of nd once in awhile------and, of course they have connections to goofer sports. i also stream a few of the nebraska stations when i get the opportunity. mainly 1620 though. my father was a huge gopher fan. i used to follow them (especially bb) when i was younger, but always was a huge husker football follower---and, over the past couple of decades started to follow practically all husker sports. i have a sister that met her husband at sdsu in brookings and they farm in ne/ne. his family has had football season tickets, like, forever. my sister got me turned on to husker vb. long story short, i evolved into a big husker fan.

How is the Whalen hire going to work?  Does she have any coaching experience?  She is still playing with the Lynx - has she hired a coaching staff already to cover for her this summer?  

Honestly, if I was a Gopher fan I don’t know that I’d feel very good about this.  At least get someone in with experience and maybe hire her as an assistant so she can learn the ropes of coaching at a Power 5 school.  Or am I missing something?

13 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

How is the Whalen hire going to work?  Does she have any coaching experience?  She is still playing with the Lynx - has she hired a coaching staff already to cover for her this summer?  

Honestly, if I was a Gopher fan I don’t know that I’d feel very good about this.  At least get someone in with experience and maybe hire her as an assistant so she can learn the ropes of coaching at a Power 5 school.  Or am I missing something?

there is some trepidation coming from some gopher fans-----yet, the hire has brought a lot of excitement from most. geno was interviewed about the hire:   http://www.startribune.com/lindsay-whalen-as-gophers-coach-geno-auriemma-s-reaction-to-mark-coyle-s-idea-wow/479652123/

btw, no coaching experience that i know of, and, no staff hired at this time---but, with her connections it may be something to watch.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

4 hours ago, huskerchode said:

Seems like the Whalen hire is a lot like Nebraska hiring Frost. It's what the people wanted.

On April 14, 2018 at 8:24 AM, huskerchode said:

Whalen, while having no coaching experience, she is a home run hire.  Needs a good staff, has a very high basketball IQ, will be a great recruiter, should be able to lock up the borders.  Most are very happy with the hire.  Certainly an icon in Minnesota and women's basketball. 

thought this was an interesting read about new gopher coach whalen:

Lindsay said she's contacting Dawn Staley for advice. They should discuss Lisa Boyer's role as Staley's long time assistant. You just need to find someone like Boyer.

https://www.postandcourier.com/staff...12cc30958.html

Lisa Boyer is ferociously intense, so listen up.

“This is not for the faint-hearted,” said Boyer, the associate head coach/enforcer within Dawn Staley’s South Carolina basketball juggernaut and a Staley confidant since 1996. “You have to put people under pressure if you expect them to perform under pressure.”

Boyer, Ithaca College Class of 1979, has been coaching since 1981. The Ogdensburg, N.Y., native has been a head coach (at Converse and Bradley) and has coached with Staley for 13 years.

“I know exactly what Dawn likes,” Boyer said. “I know what it’s supposed to look like.”

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sport...er_lisa00.html

"Having Lisa on our staff says a lot because she could be a head coach in her own right," Staley said. "I strive for perfection. If you don't have the knowledge to accomplish perfection, then you get somebody who has that knowledge to pass it along to you. When I started in coaching, Lisa was that person for me. I wore her down because I knew I needed her. I trust her with my life, and I knew I could trust her with my career, not just as a coach, but as an administrator, a manager and overall as a person."

Boyer helped Staley lead Temple to five NCAA Tournaments and three Atlantic 10 Tournament titles in six seasons. She also keyed the recruitment of two players that would go on to be Temple's first WNBA First-Round Draft Picks. In 2005, the Owls became the first team in A-10 history to go undefeated in the regular season when they posted a 16-0 mark in league play. That team went on to capture its second-straight A-10 Tournament championship and finished the season in the second round of the NCAA Tournament with a school-record 28 wins. Prior to falling in the second-round game against Rutgers, Temple had rattled off 25 consecutive victories, the nation's longest winning streak of any men's or women's team that season.

Prior to her stint at Temple, Boyer spent six seasons coaching in first the ABL and then the WNBA. She began her career at the professional level in 1996 as the head coach of the Richmond (later Philadelphia) Rage. After guiding her first team to a 21-19 record, Boyer welcomed the arrival of Staley to the 1997 squad. Boyer left the Rage to take an assistant coach position with the WNBA's Cleveland Rockers in 1998. During her five years with the club, the Rockers advanced to the WNBA semifinals (1998) and the conference final (2000). As part of her work with the Rockers, Boyer had the opportunity to serve on John Lucas' Cleveland Cavaliers' staff in 2001-02, becoming the first woman on an NBA coaching staff.

Boyer took the position with the Rage after 10 seasons as Bradley University's head coach. With a 100 percent graduation rate throughout her tenure, she guided the Braves to a 15-13 record in her first season (1986-87). Boyer also posted winning records in 1989-90 (16-12) and 1991-92 (17-11) before leaving the program following the 1995-96 season. In her final four seasons at Bradley, she also served as the department's senior women's administrator and compliance coordinator.

Bradley was not Boyer's first head coaching stop, however. She led Converse in 1982-83, just one year after getting her start in coaching as an assistant at Davidson. Following her single season at Converse, Boyer served as an assistant coach for one season at East Carolina, Miami (Ohio) and Virginia Tech, respectively.

A native of Ogdensburg, N.Y., Boyer was a standout forward for Ithaca College, from which she graduated with a bachelor of science degree in 1979. She also earned a master of education degree from UNC Greensboro in 1982. For her 30+ years in coaching and shaping both professional and collegiate players, Boyer's alma mater honored her with induction into the Ithaca College Athletics Hall of Fame in 2014.

• 4 weeks later...