Paying players a signing bonus should be allowed

PimpMario

Watching Duke beat Syracuse has me thinking that if even Duke resorts to 1 and dones that it should be allowed to pay players a signing bonus.

Nebrasketball (and Creighton) have good facilities and great fan support. We should be allowed to translate that support into better players; especially since all the Bluebloods do it through agents right now.

On 3/23/2018 at 11:40 PM, PimpMario said:

Watching Duke beat Syracuse has me thinking that if even Duke resorts to 1 and dones that it should be allowed to pay players a signing bonus.

Nebrasketball (and Creighton) have good facilities and great fan support. We should be allowed to translate that support into better players; especially since all the Bluebloods do it through agents right now.

So, so wrong.     Let the NBA develop and pay for its own farm system

Yeah that free education they get that I had to spend several years paying off, and I HAD academic scholarships, is really not worth a thing.
They already get paid through agents.

And a college degree now is the equivalent of a high school diploma in 1950. If most people have college degrees then it doesn't help separate job candidates. And its not like college teaches job skills for most professions.

1 minute ago, PimpMario said:
5 hours ago, colhusker said:
Yeah that free education they get that I had to spend several years paying off, and I HAD academic scholarships, is really not worth a thing.

I am also curious if you think the players don't deserve more considering the money they generate and the hours of work they put in.

Title 9 would be a bitch to get around on this

...or the NCAA could use the money coming into their coffers to retain more investigators that can act fairly yet swiftly to punish the schools that are breaking rules.  Have a tier of violations and resulting punishments.  Hold the coaches & academic institutions accountable, and remove the multiple violators from the equation.  Coddle them or penalize them...hmm.

Edited by Huskerpapa

...or the NCAA could use the money coming into their coffers to retain more investigators that can act fairly yet swiftly to punish the schools that are breaking rules.  Have a tier of violations and resulting punishments.  Hold the coaches & academic institutions accountable, and remove the multiple violators from the equation.  Coddle them or penalize them...hmm.
The NCAA passes the basketball money back to the members schools.

1 minute ago, PimpMario said:
3 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

The NCAA passes the basketball money back to the members schools.

Yet they could use some of the money earned to better police the process.  Oftentimes, if there is a violation, the time it takes to adjudicate the violation leaves those involved in the violation clear of any punishment.  Those being punished are those players and coaches that follow. 

Hey, if a kid doesn't want to play college ball, and instead wants to play for money, I have no issues.  But the rules in college is that they do not get paid.  I believe the rules although a bit bulky, are transparent.  Go to college, play for the institution and education OR go pro and play as a job and money. 

Yet they could use some of the money earned to better police the process.  Oftentimes, if there is a violation, the time it takes to adjudicate the violation leaves those involved in the violation clear of any punishment.  Those being punished are those players and coaches that follow. 

Hey, if a kid doesn't want to play college ball, and instead wants to play for money, I have no issues.  But the rules in college is that they do not get paid.  I believe the rules although a bit bulky, are transparent.  Go to college, play for the institution and education OR go pro and play as a job and money. 
But the member schools don't want to be policed better.

When people get mad at the NCAA they should really get mad at the member schools and conferences.

On 3/23/2018 at 11:40 PM, PimpMario said:

Unlimited amount?

17 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

But the member schools don't want to be policed better.

When people get mad at the NCAA they should really get mad at the member schools and conferences.

I agree that people should be mad at the member schools and conferences.  Yet I respectfully disagree that all the member schools would reject better or more effective policing.  There are a lot of schools trying to do the right thing.  Many are influenced to meander off the righteous path in order to compete.  I simply believe everyone should have to walk that same path.

1 hour ago, PimpMario said:

And a college degree now is the equivalent of a high school diploma in 1950. If most people have college degrees then it doesn't help separate job candidates. And its not like college teaches job skills for most professions.

I find my degree, which they apparently just hand out to people en masse now, to be quite valuable.  

I agree that people should be mad at the member schools and conferences.  Yet I respectfully disagree that all the member schools would reject better or more effective policing.  There are a lot of schools trying to do the right thing.  Many are influenced to meander off the righteous path in order to compete.  I simply believe everyone should have to walk that same path.
I do to, but schools have shown time and again they will cheat so there schools that are punished are those that don't "cheat."

2 hours ago, PimpMario said:
On 3/31/2018 at 4:33 PM, colhusker said:
Beat me to it, I moved ahead of folks without said degree but hey guess it's just a piece of paper.

The majority of people have degrees now. When everyone has something its value is relatively reduced.

Well, that's just not true. According to the 2017 census, 56% of the US population above the age of 25 does not have a degree of any kind and 66% do not have a Bachelor's Degree or higher (so D1 schools). I am pro-paying players, but there's no benefit to be had by using only anecdotal evidence to argue your points. 

Edited by Shawn Eichorst's Toupee
Wording was funky

Well, that's just not true. According to the 2017 census, 56% of the US population above the age of 25 does not have a degree of any kind. That number grows to 66% if you are looking at Bachelor's degrees or higher (so D1 schools). I am pro-paying players, but there's no benefit to be had by using only anecdotal evidence to argue your points. 
What is the percentage of people 23 to 26?

I read a study that said a college degree today has the same earning potential as a high school diploma did in 1950.