If schools in Kansas can be good at basketball why can't Nebraska?

PimpMario

When we ask this question about Wisconsin everyone always points out they have more home grown talent and are closer to talent rich areas.

But the state of Kansas regularly has 2 or 3 programs each the sweet 16.

You could maybe argue that Kansas is a Blueblood fo it is easier to recruit but Kansas st and Wichita State are not.

So if Kansas schools can be a mainstay in the tournament why can't Nebraska?

Not a huge believer in tradition being a factor outside of a handful of teams.   Kansas hoops would be one.

K-State..not so much.   They had some success in the 50s and 60s but that's not what made them competitive.   It was taking a chance on Huggins.   Finding the right guy.   We might need to do the same.  Take a chance on a guy who has had some issues in his past (cough Kelvin Sampson cough).   There's absolutely zero reason why we can't come close to what a K-State is.  

15 minutes ago, PimpMario said:
39 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:
First mover advantage is a very powerful thing.

Doesn't that mean that wsu ksu shouldn't be as good as they are considering Kansas has been in the same region and good forever?

I guess my comment was geared toward the blue bloods. But I'm with you. There's no reason why we can't be a quality program. The issue is getting over that hump of decades of basketball where other programs have performed much better than we have.

I suppose paying our players like Wichita State does is an option for some. But that comes with a hefty price though.

Edited by HuskerFever

4 hours ago, nustudent said:

Not a huge believer in tradition being a factor outside of a handful of teams.   Kansas hoops would be one.

K-State..not so much.   They had some success in the 50s and 60s but that's not what made them competitive.   It was taking a chance on Huggins.   Finding the right guy.   We might need to do the same.  Take a chance on a guy who has had some issues in his past (cough Kelvin Sampson cough).   There's absolutely zero reason why we can't come close to what a K-State is.  

All time NCAA Tournament records of Kansas State coaches and Nebraska coaches (before, during, and after their tenure at each school):

KANSAS STATE
Bruce Weber, 14-11, 1 Final Four
Frank Martin, 10-5, 1 Final Four
Bob Huggins, 33-23, 2 Final Fours
Jim Woolridge, 0-1
Tom Asbury, 0-4
Dana Altman, 13-13, 1 Final Four
Lon Kruger, 20-18, 2 Final Fours
Jack Hartman, 11-7, 4 Regional Finals
Cotton Fitzsimmons, 1-1
Tex Winter, 7-9, 2 Final Fours
Jack Gardner, 12-12, 4 Final Fours

NEBRASKA
Tim Miles, 0-2
Doc Sadler, 0-1
Barry Collier, 0-3
Danny Nee, 1-7
Moe Iba, 0-1
Joe Cipriano, 0-0
Jerry Bush, 0-1

11 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

All time NCAA Tournament records of Kansas State coaches and Nebraska coaches (before, during, and after their tenure at each school):

KANSAS STATE
Jim Woolridge, 0-1
Tom Asbury, 0-4
Cotton Fitzsimmons, 1-1

NEBRASKA
Tim Miles, 0-2
Doc Sadler, 0-1
Barry Collier, 0-3
Danny Nee, 1-7
Moe Iba, 0-1
Joe Cipriano, 0-0
Jerry Bush, 0-1

We’ve hired one coach who had a tournament win in the history of our program? That explains a lot...

36 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

KANSAS STATE
Jim Woolridge, 0-1
Tom Asbury, 0-4
Cotton Fitzsimmons, 1-1

NEBRASKA
Tim Miles, 0-2
Doc Sadler, 0-1
Barry Collier, 0-3
Danny Nee, 1-7
Moe Iba, 0-1
Joe Cipriano, 0-0
Jerry Bush, 0-1

I so badly want to down arrow this, but I know it's not your fault. :lol:

5 hours ago, PimpMario said:

When we ask this question about Wisconsin everyone always points out they have more home grown talent and are closer to talent rich areas.

But the state of Kansas regularly has 2 or 3 programs each the sweet 16.

You could maybe argue that Kansas is a Blueblood fo it is easier to recruit but Kansas st and Wichita State are not.

So if Kansas schools can be a mainstay in the tournament why can't Nebraska?

Walk into Allen Field House sometime, take your time, look around. Look up in the rafters and see Wilt Chamberlain's jersey hanging there... then ask yourself that question again. Even K-St has a pedigree to fall back on, as do the Shockers. Name recognition means a lot, and you don't build up your Cache' overnight.

Edited by Handy Johnson

KANSAS STATE Bruce Weber, 14-11, 1 Final Four
Jim Woolridge, 0-1
Tom Asbury, 0-4
Cotton Fitzsimmons, 1-1
Jack Gardner, 12-12, 4 Final Fours   NEBRASKA Tim Miles, 0-2
Doc Sadler, 0-1
Barry Collier, 0-3
Danny Nee, 1-7
Moe Iba, 0-1
Joe Cipriano, 0-0
Jerry Bush, 0-1  

I would be interested to see their records before Kansas st.

I.e. did ksu make them successful coaches or did ksu hire successful coaches

44 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

For whatever reason, outside of maybe Woolridge and Asbury, they've always hired well regardless of it was an up-and-coming coach or not.

Bruce Weber
2-2 @ Southern Illinois, 9-6 @ Illinois, 2-3 @ Kansas State
Frank Martin
6-4 @ Kansas State, 4-1 @ South Carolina
Bob Huggins
0-1 @ Akron, 20-14 @ Cincinnati, 0-0 @ Kansas State, 13-8 @ West Virginia
Jim Wooridge
0-1 @ SW Texas State, 0-0 @ Louisiana Tech, 0-0 @ Kansas State, 0-0 @ UC Riverside
Tom Asbury
0-3 @ Pepperdine, 0-1 @ Kansas State, 0-0 @ Pepperdine
Dana Altman
0-0 @ Marshall, 0-1 @ Kansas State, 2-7 @ Creighton, 11-5 @ Oregon
Lon Kruger
0-0 @ Texas-Pan Americna, 4-4 @ Kansas State, 4-2 @ Florida, 3-3 @ Illinois, 3-4 @ UNLV, 6-5 @ Oklahoma
Jack Hartman
0-0 @ Southern Illinois, 11-7 @ Kansas State
Cotton Fitzsimmons
1-1 @ Kansas State (28 year NBA head coach)
Tex Winter
0-0 @ Marquette, 9-7 @ Kansas State, 0-0 @ Washington, 0-0 @ Northwestern, 0-0 @ Long Beach State
Jack Gardner
5-3 @ Kansas State, 7-9 @ Utah

1 hour ago, PimpMario said:

Jack Gardner was a highly successful coach at Utah, Jack Hartman won the NIT in 67 with a guy named Walt Frazier and coached some really good KSU teams featuring Rolando Blackmon, Tom Asbury had been successful at Pepperdine, and Huggy Bear took Cindy to the Final Four in 89.   Tex Winter  developed the Triangle Offense and was Phil Jackson’s right hand man in the NBA.  So KSU has had outstanding coaches in their history and they really care about basketball.

Jack Gardner was a highly successful coach at Utah, Jack Hartman won the NIT in 67 with a guy named Walt Frazier and coached some really good KSU teams featuring Rolando Blackmon, Tom Asbury had been successful at Pepperdine, and Huggy Bear took Cindy to the Final Four in 89.   Tex Winter  developed the Triangle Offense and was Phil Jackson’s right hand man in the NBA.  So KSU has had outstanding coaches in their history and they really care about basketball.

So maybe we need to care more and hire coaches who have success in the tournament?

3 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Wichita St. had a guy named Dave Stallworth and went to the Final Four in the 60’s, in the 70’s they had Xavier McDaniel and Cliff Livingston and were very good.  Tradition means something.

I'm not quite that old. McDaniel and Livingston graduated in 1985 and 1982. 

Just now, PimpMario said:
6 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

So maybe we need to care more and hire coaches who have success in the tournament?

The people on this board care but how important is basketball to the powers that be?I s the drive to make a NCAA Tournament as important as the drive to return to football glory days?

3 minutes ago, PimpMario said:
8 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

They would have to want to come here and we could possibly offer a lot of money but if you are at a school that has had lots of success in the tournament why would you want to come to Nebraska?