Idea for NCAA Tournament

Just now, aphilso1 said:

In light of tonight's UMBC vs Virginia game, any plans to toss out AQ's are clearly not going to gain much traction.

In UMBC's defense...... If they did take away the AQ, they would be the only team in the AQ era to ever beat a one seed in the history of mankind.  Would be kind of cool!  :lol:

29 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

The problem with picking the best teams...whether it be 64, 68, or 128.....is that with humans picking it, they will inevitably screw it up.

AQs allow teams two things....to build a team during a season to get ready for conference tournament and control their own destiny.

It's also a computer problem too (which is devloped by humans nonetheless). If you base it off of RPI, then you might put a higher valued team in than another, but that's only because their opponent's opponents played better in that given year. So even that doesn't tell you who the best teams are.

21 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

How about expand the NCAA tournament to 128 teams?  Do away with the NIT and other tournaments.  Have 8 teams play at one site the first week on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday or on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.  It would be just one more game and they have the play in games those dates anyway.  If you are not in one of the top 128 teams you really don't have much of an argument about not getting in.  Just an idea.  Fire away if you want to slam me for it.

Agree agree agree!   For several reasons....(1) it would make it even more exciting.  (2) It would give darn good teams who are unknowns a chance ( and by the way, they would win all over the place).  The focus should not be in getting a ton more major conf teams in, some certainty.  (3) It gets rid of the stupid insignificant tournaments and therefore makes it a big deal for ALL of the NCAA teams.  There is getting to be less and less of a difference between the teams in the 30-120 ith best teams in the country all the time.  Might as well acknowledge that, embrace it and use it.  

Again I think it would be really cool and a huge success.  I really think the excitement would off the charts if done right.    

1 hour ago, lang said:

Agree agree agree!   For several reasons....(1) it would make it even more exciting.  (2) It would give darn good teams who are unknowns a chance ( and by the way, they would win all over the place).  The focus should not be in getting a ton more major conf teams in, some certainty.  (3) It gets rid of the stupid insignificant tournaments and therefore makes it a big deal for ALL of the NCAA teams.  There is getting to be less and less of a difference between the teams in the 30-120 ith best teams in the country all the time.  Might as well acknowledge that, embrace it and use it.  

Again I think it would be really cool and a huge success.  I really think the excitement would off the charts if done right.    

Exactly what I was thinking.

If we went strictly by the RPI for College Basketball, this would be the bracket the Huskers would be in if let 128 teams into the tournament.  This is just off the RPI and no automatic qualifiers but it still gives you a good idea what it would look like.

9 Purdue vs 120 Georgia State

56 Nebraska vs 73 Mississippi State

24 Saint Bonaventure vs 105 Bradley

41 Butler vs 88 Oklahoma State  

Top 4 seeds: 1 Virginia, 2 Villanova  3 Xavier 4 North Carolina

What if we eliminated conference tournaments and invited everyone to sectionals/districts like most high school basketball state tournaments.

350/64 is 5.46 (so you would have 64 regions of 5 to 6 teams.

The top 64 teams would host and you would play it down to 64 teams from there.....(I would try to keep all teams as close to home as possible)

36 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

What if we eliminated conference tournaments and invited everyone to sectionals/districts like most high school basketball state tournaments.

The top 64 teams would host and you would play it down to 64 teams from there.....(I would try to keep all teams as close to home as possible)

This is interesting.  Most teams have to travel for their conference tournament anyways, so the travel should't be an issue.  I say seed them straight #1-#351.  One thing you could do to avoid travel issues would be to try and keep teams in regions by shuffling around same seeds.  Example would be if Drake was a #4 seed for example and had to play at UCLA, but Long Beach State was also a 4 seed playing in Missouri, you could swap Drake and LBSU without losing seeding really.  

This could grow on me.

58 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

This is interesting.  Most teams have to travel for their conference tournament anyways, so the travel should't be an issue.  I say seed them straight #1-#351.  One thing you could do to avoid travel issues would be to try and keep teams in regions by shuffling around same seeds.  Example would be if Drake was a #4 seed for example and had to play at UCLA, but Long Beach State was also a 4 seed playing in Missouri, you could swap Drake and LBSU without losing seeding really.  

This could grow on me.

That is kind of my thought...You basically move teams around at the same seed level to keep them as close to home as you can.

3 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

I have been saying this for about the last 5 years.  Seed everybody,  top 64 host, no conference tournaments, after that weekend.  Reseed teams and go from there.  Also first round of 64 at campus sites or where college teams actually play and people care about college basketball first and where the crowds will show up and the teams would play in front of some real people, not people dressed as seats.

1 minute ago, HuskerFever said:

Is it possible that the tournament would go to a college baseball type of format with regionals, super regionals, etc.?

I think that could be intriguing, didn't the NCAA's start out that way when the tourney was only 16 teams, i.e. "regional-specific"?!?

Edited by AuroranHusker

21 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I don't really like a regional as it can group the better teams into one bracket.  I also do not like playing at a home site.  I understand the if it's not broke don't fix it idea, but I think some bugs could be worked out. (getting the right teams in)  For these reasons I like 128 teams.

There’s no perfect process so there will always be an issue in getting the right teams in.  128 waters it down a bit 

You could also have 32 regions of roughly 11 teams each....

These regions could be set up prior to they year like many states set up their state tournaments.....you then play a tourney to get to the final 32...Everyone knows who is in their bracket as the year starts and winning these regions would be a huge accomplishment....if 5 great teams are in one region, so be it.

13 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

These regions could be set up prior to they year like many states set up their state tournaments.....you then play a tourney to get to the final 32...Everyone knows who is in their bracket as the year starts and winning these regions would be a huge accomplishment....if 5 great teams are in one region, so be it.

This screams of gerrymandering at some point down the road :lol:

23 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

KU would best NU many years for 1st in the region in the earlier NCAA's. KU basically had NU's number from the jump. And, yet, it's been the other way around for football.