Ominous Tweet Re: Roster Attrition

In regards to the NBA draft....it is probably better for your chances to make it to the league if you go undrafted than if you are drafted in the second round.  Being undrafted, you can work with your agent to find the right opportunity...get on the right summer league team, find that NBA camp that actually has roster spots.

An example...I'm a Bucks fan and if you were to get drafted by the Bucks....they have 15 rosters spots that are pretty much tied up..They will have to release or trade someone for you to make the roster and they will already have to do that to keep the First round draft pick, so as a second round pick, you have to really prove yourself.

Although, saying all this, I do think it is changing with the G league having almost every team with their own affiliate...2nd rounders and udndafted free agents will have the opportunity to play, learn the system and prove themselves against G League level competition.

Overall 2nd round pick is not really a great place to be...Undrafted guys can end up making more faster because I think they are not tied into the rookie scale that guys that are drafted are subject to.

24 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

In regards to the NBA draft....it is probably better for your chances to make it to the league if you go undrafted than if you are drafted in the second round.  Being undrafted, you can work with your agent to find the right opportunity...get on the right summer league team, find that NBA camp that actually has roster spots.

An example...I'm a Bucks fan and if you were to get drafted by the Bucks....they have 15 rosters spots that are pretty much tied up..They will have to release or trade someone for you to make the roster and they will already have to do that to keep the First round draft pick, so as a second round pick, you have to really prove yourself.

Although, saying all this, I do think it is changing with the G league having almost every team with their own affiliate...2nd rounders and udndafted free agents will have the opportunity to play, learn the system and prove themselves against G League level competition.

Overall 2nd round pick is not really a great place to be...Undrafted guys can end up making more faster because I think they are not tied into the rookie scale that guys that are drafted are subject to.

It makes you wonder if the NBA will go to a one round only draft because of this.  Remember the old days when there were , I think, 12 rounds?

7 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

It makes you wonder if the NBA will go to a one round only draft because of this.  Remember the old days when there were , I think, 12 rounds?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NBA_draft

There is still value. Teams want control over certain players first whereas almost all of the guys (at least from last year's draft) who weren't overseas stash picks have made a NBA roster.

General feed back of "late second round pick" is another way of saying that it's not a joke you are in this process but you're playing the lottery.

I think both guys have things to work on still that result in teams picking different guys.

However, if they do have a team that gives them a decent level of assurance of picking one of them and why they should pursue that.

11 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Was gonna post this. Upon further inspection, I see Roby, Nana, and Cope for sure, possibly Palmer too. Love it. 

You'd have to be pretty salty to not show up for the free grub at the end of the year banquet.

So Palmer was there too! When coach Miles posted his pic last night, he just st said “one more dinner with the boys” so I figured it was just a gathering....makes more sense it was an end of year type deal. Miles was quoted saying that if Copeland or Palmer got feedback they would be drafted AND were part of a team’s long term plans, they’d consider it. But if not, they both want to come back and make Nebraska a winner next year.    Go crazy folks!!!!

9 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

Actually second round picks are quite valuable, and the player holds more bargaining power than a late first rounder. It is true that first round picks are automatically guaranteed money for the first 3 years;  however, all first round picks compensation are based on a sliding scale meaning the player is unable to negotiate a deal. There is no set compensation structure for second round picks, and agents are able to negotiate salaries informally prior to the draft. There have been a few instances where players receive more money as a second round pick than a late first. The majority of this money is also guaranteed which includes the signing bonus. 

Further, second rounders, more often than not, get more say in where they are selected due to the way the NBA Draft is set up. Unlike the NFL, NBA prospects sometimes shun the combine and it is not uncommon for players to withhold medical information from clubs the players don’t want to play for. Clubs like Sacramento really struggle drafting players as a result. It is also common for agents to shut down visits/workouts once a favorable club has guaranteed it will draft the player and favorable contract terms have been worked out. 

Also, a second rounder can always opt to go overseas for more development. When they come back, they can negotiate their salaries (unlike a first rounder). 

Conversely, NBA undrafted free agents are largely space fillers for summer leagues and preseason. Their contracts are not always guaranteed even if they make the final roster leaving them the first players cut the minute depth is needed at a position not filled by the player. 

On 3/28/2018 at 11:15 AM, swmckewon said:

Usually the coaches know most or all roster attrition issues after spring break in hoops. Usually. (Andrew White was a different deal.) 

Over the years:

Fuller - March 13

Horne - March 15

J. Shepard (women) - March 27

Hammond - March 29

Morrow - March 30

T. Smith - March 31

Hawkins, Vucetic - April 2

Jacobson - April 10

Evelyn - April 12 

So you guys think we are in the clear barring palmer or Copeland going pro?

palmer should for sure be back.

copeland will be back if he thinks he can take his game to another level and get looks from the nba

and part of me thinks jordy is waiting to see what copeland will do before making a decision. jordy clearly seemed upset about his role and not sure if he'll want to stay if copeland and roby are the starting frontcourt again.

i'm not sure why anyone else would leave. should be a lot of new playing time opening up with taylor, gill, and mcveigh leaving.

Edited by TimSmiles

Nobody is stopping Jordy from playing more except himself.

If he gets better his minutes will increase. Ideally i'd like to see him jump up to 20-25 min a game. Roby mans the 5 the rest of the game (atleast until we get another center ?).

Wouldnt mind seeing Roby, Copeland, and Jordy on the floor all at once either.