Ominous Tweet Re: Roster Attrition

Well concerning this Roby situation I think it points in the direction that his goal is to get to the NBA and he is looking to achieve that goal next year and declare as a Junior. My opinion with no knowledge of anything is next year Roby is great, Miles makes a run in the Tournament, and then promptly turns that success into another job.

2 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

It might all hinge on how Moos and Miles structure this new contract.

I kinda side with the thinking that Moos has the leverage and is slow playing this a bit and we ultimately end up with Miles having a contract of 4 years. I just don't think Miles gets a contract that, to him, say "We are with you for the long hall Coach". I think it ends up being "Miles we like you. We're just not sure if we like like you."

14 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I kinda side with the thinking that Moos has the leverage and is slow playing this a bit and we ultimately end up with Miles having a contract of 4 years. I just don't think Miles gets a contract that, to him, say "We are with you for the long hall Coach". I think it ends up being "Miles we like you. We're just not sure if we like like you."

Yeah I'm thinking that might be the case too. And to me, Moos also seems more of an incentive-based/results person. He might be giving him a short leash and seeing how things play out.

But a 97-97 (46-62) record probably doesn't land him too many places in the top or middle half of any power conference. Even with a tourney run next season. So unless he sees a place like Nevada or Those Island as a better opportunity, he's likely focusing his resources at succeeding at Nebraska.

8 hours ago, colhusker said:

I wish Moos would  extend Miles and take care of the bad baseball coach 

I've wondered how this factors into things.  No way does Moos want to make a change with all 3 men's sports in one year.   And while I don't think Erstad will get fired this year, it's clear we are still a mediocre program and I wonder if Moos is spending more time evaluating that.

15 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I've wondered how this factors into things.  No way does Moos want to make a change with all 3 men's sports in one year.   And while I don't think Erstad will get fired this year, it's clear we are still a mediocre program and I wonder if Moos is spending more time evaluating that.

I highly doubt baseball is even on Moos's mind.  We won the Big Ten last year and it seems for many, winning a Big Ten title once every five-six years is acceptable for the baseball program.  Not to mention, Erstad carries a lot of clout and will definitely have a longer leash than normal.  No inside information but I think Erstad will eventually make the jump to the majors.  Based on his results(or lack thereof)...the sooner the better.      

35 minutes ago, nustudent said:

To me, it really does make next year do or die.   Usually guys who enter their names as sophomores don't make their senior years.   We're set to be losing a lot next year.

If Roby is playing well enough to be considered a first round pick we just had a hell of a year

9 hours ago, colhusker said:

I wish Moos would  extend Miles and take care of the bad baseball coach 

Not to be a smart a**, but didn't that coach win the Big Ten last year?  He also was a final candidate for the LA Dodger job.  I hate what is happening this year as well, and no doubt recruiting some studs is an absolute must, but I am not so sure firing Erstad is the answer.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Not to be a smart a**, but didn't that coach win the Big Ten last year?  He also was a final candidate for the LA Dodger job.  I hate what is happening this year as well, and no doubt recruiting some studs is an absolute must, but I am not so sure firing Erstad is the answer.

Not to turn this into a baseball thread but I'm not sure how him being a candidate for the Dodgers job has any bearing on the results he had produced as Nebraska's head coach.  You are comparing apples to oranges.  Callahan and Riley were both NFL head coaches.    And yes, he did win the Big Ten Coach of the year last year,  this year is not over but I can't imagine if when we hired Erstad I said that six years in he would have 1 league title, 0 tournament titles, and 1 regional win against Binghamton that people would be happy with that.  Erstad is probably here as long as he want's to be and thus far I can't say for sure that that's a good thing for Nebraska baseball.   

Edited by huskerbaseball13

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

We should win the Big 10 in baseball almost EVERY year.  He fails to recruit (land) local talent which is now playing well else where.  I understand that there are going to be bad years and there are going to be really good years.  His body of work shows he is in over his head.

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

If a player can only submit his name once, this probably indicates Roby has already decided to join the NBA after his Junior season. If he does not play well enough to justify that after next season, it may not make that much difference to us. 

I am really hoping he takes that step and is ready. Would me good things for us!

12 minutes ago, colhusker said:

We should win the Big 10 in baseball almost EVERY year.  He fails to recruit (land) local talent which is now playing well else where.  I understand that there are going to be bad years and there are going to be really good years.  His body of work shows he is in over his head.

Hard to argue with this.

3 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I highly doubt baseball is even on Moos's mind.  We won the Big Ten last year and it seems for many, winning a Big Ten title once every five-six years is acceptable for the baseball program.  Not to mention, Erstad carries a lot of clout and will definitely have a longer leash than normal.  No inside information but I think Erstad will eventually make the jump to the majors.  Based on his results(or lack thereof)...the sooner the better.      

This is spot on. The reality is the only way Erstand is leaving anytime soon is if he chooses to.

10 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Gonna be such a blow if cope n palmer come back but roby leaves. In all likelihood roby will receive a higher grade than both palmer and Copeland and may get late first round consideration 

Roby has tremendous upside but if he is late first round NBA ready the game has fallen off.  Not a slam on the kid because I agree he game will be the most complete of the three guys you mentioned.  He is not ready yet.

2 hours ago, jimmykc said:

If a player can only submit his name once, this probably indicates Roby has already decided to join the NBA after his Junior season. If he does not play well enough to justify that after next season, it may not make that much difference to us. 

Players can submit and withdraw their names from the draft twice. So, any Sophomore with NBA hopes is wise to enter their name for consideration. Below is a link that does a decent job of explaining the process.

http://sports.usatoday.com/2018/04/02/how-college-basketball-players-can-declare-for-nba-draft-then-return-to-school/

21 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Gonna be such a blow if cope n palmer come back but roby leaves. In all likelihood roby will receive a higher grade than both palmer and Copeland and may get late first round consideration 

Not a chance in hell Roby climbs into the first round this year.  He could be a lottery pick next year if he improves in the areas the scouting report will tell him he needs to work on. But there is not a chance in hell he's a first rounder this year.  Not a chance in  hell.

And I like Isaiah a lot and think he has pro potential.  But he's got to come back next year and prove he can elevate his game sufficiently.  I think he can and I'm guessing he will, and if he does it will redound to our benefit next year.  But he's not turning pro this season.

12 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Not a chance in hell Roby climbs into the first round this year.  He could be a lottery pick next year if he improves in the areas the scouting report will tell him he needs to work on. But there is not a chance in hell he's a first rounder this year.  Not a chance in  hell.

And I like Isaiah a lot and think he has pro potential.  But he's got to come back next year and prove he can elevate his game sufficiently.  I think he can and I'm guessing he will, and if he does it will redound to our benefit next year.  But he's not turning pro this season.

Yup. Not worried about this at all. He has a better chance of transferring and that's not happening either. He seems like a smart kid and if he declared this year it would be about the most bone-headed decision he could make. Isn't he really young too?