Ominous Tweet Re: Roster Attrition

10 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet, but here's McVeigh's latest podcast episode where he talks about.his decision to move on:

http://feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/421214622-jemcveigh9-the-jack-mctrey-podcast-ep5.m4a

Man, I got emotional listening to that. Feel for the kid. Kinda sounds like he got a raw deal... obviously only getting his side of the story, but it sure seems to me he was getting the signals that he was gonna be a main rotation guy, the bang - bench. 

19 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Man, I got emotional listening to that. Feel for the kid. Kinda sounds like he got a raw deal... obviously only getting his side of the story, but it sure seems to me he was getting the signals that he was gonna be a main rotation guy, the bang - bench. 

He definitely handled it well and seems like a very mature adult about the whole thing. And out of all of that he found a way to still make it a fun and memorable experience.

44 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I believe before the season, it was thought he would be a main rotation guy, some developments led that to just not come to fruition.

24 minutes ago, northwillriseagain said:

I believe before the season, it was thought he would be a main rotation guy, some developments led that to just not come to fruition.

The revival of Anton Gill plus our depth in general. Add to that our commitment to taking the 3pt shot away and you end up putting McVeigh on an island defending in the post which is a bad situation. Would have liked to see him as the 2 guard in a zone. 

3 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Yeah.  Particularly impressive is his positive spin on his bench role:  on the scout team, he became “the guy” and shouldered a heavy load in the go-to role, which he would never have experienced with playing time.  He’s a “things happen for a reason” guy.  He comes across as a high character person you’d always want to have on your team.

So he's a Calvinist? I was told there aren't many of them around anymore.

5 hours ago, Swan88 said:

The concern about jack is not as a transfer but as leaving for a professional team without finishing the semester.

This is from Wiki and is dated (so take it for what it's worth):

On men's basketball

The APR's flaws are highlighted in men's basketball. "Syracuse's Jim Boeheim suffered the two-scholarship hit last summer, and in doing so publicly upbraided the APR for taking into account the departures of Eric Devendorf, Jonny Flynn and Paul Harris for the NBA draft, all three of whom left campus to prepare for the NBA event without fulfilling their spring semester requirements."[16] Many college basketball players leave before they graduate, and the ones that leave in bad academic standing cause the APR to go down. This issue is seen throughout college basketball.

To exemplify this phenomenon for collegiate basketball, if the 930 postseason ban had been in effect for the 2011-12 season then 99 teams would have received postseason bans.[15]

I think it should hurt the programs when players leave early....I think the purpose of the APR is to have kids graduate or be on track for graduation....if kids leave early to work at Pizza hut or the NBA, it should hurt the APR number.

I also think they need to change the eligibility rules as many guys don't really take classes second semester if they plan on leaving...they sign up for a class and then never attend, knowing they are headed for the draft....Well sometimes that spot in the class could have gone to someone else....sometimes classes get full...

4 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I really feel bad for him. I wish him nothing but the best. He'll always be a Husker.

17 hours ago, skerbball said:

4800DA28-3F82-4457-8CB3-6784F6E10594.jpeg

I know the humor in which this was attended but thanks for the reminder of how often we were with a knife (or unarmed) going into a gun fight.  I don't understand why there is any conversation with Miles job status.  Our talent is soooooo much better.  Two 4th place finishes in the Big 10 in 6 years.  We are 3/4 of the way up the stairs, I don't want to start back at the bottom.

I suppose one could make the argument that with our new commitment to facilities etc. that we could rocket from the bottom of the steps to the top, but I still believe Miles is the scrappy guy to get us there.

Edited by HuskerPower #nato73

1 hour ago, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

I know the humor in which this was attended but thanks for the reminder of how often we were with a knife (or unarmed) going into a gun fight.  I don't understand why there is any conversation with Miles job status.  Our talent is soooooo much better.  Two 4th place finishes in the Big 10 in 6 years.  We are 3/4 of the way up the stairs, I don't want to start back at the bottom.

I suppose one could make the argument that with our new commitment to facilities etc. that we could rocket from the bottom of the steps to the top, but I still believe Miles is the scrappy guy to get us there.

IMO, it's because people don't view us as truly being 3/4 of the way up the stairs.   They view last season as an isolated incident and not as a sign that we have truly elevated the program to a level where we will be consistent.

The great thing about Bill Moos is this:  he's been around long enough to recognize progress.  And he, apparently, sees progress in Tim Miles.

Tim Miles has dealt with two basic deficiencies that have handicapped him, severely, in all but two seasons:

1. Lack of depth; and

2. Injuries.

The two seasons with his own recruits, and without serious injuries to major players, resulted in, (i) the Dance, (ii) the Dance bubble--cheated out of an appearance, (iii) National Coach of the Year, and (iv) B1G runner-up Coach of the Year.

This season, his bench of players finally became stocked full: this is so much so that one player receiving major minutes in two prior years couldn't even get on the floor, despite significant growth in his game. 

The injury bug stayed at-bay this season, allowing the team to reach a 22-win season.

And the anti-Nebraska gods had to align just-right to keep us out of the Dance.

Such things represent progress and potential for future growth.  Bill Moos seems to recognize this and is set to give-it-a-go.  

It will be interesting to see the details of his strategy and timing, when those things become apparent.

Edited by Swan88

10 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

The great thing about Bill Moos is this:  he's been around long enough to recognize progress.  And he, apparently, sees progress in Tim Miles.

Tim Miles has dealt with two basic deficiencies that have handicapped him, severely, in all but two seasons:

1. Lack of depth; and

2. Injuries.

The two seasons with his own recruits, and without serious injuries to major players, resulted in, (i) the Dance, (ii) the Dance bubble--cheated out of an appearance, (iii) National Coach of the Year, and (iv) B1G runner-up Coach of the Year.

This season, his bench of players finally became stocked full: this is so much so that one player receiving major minutes in two prior years couldn't even get on the floor, despite significant growth in his game. 

The injury bug stayed at-bay this season, allowing the team to reach a 22-win season.

Such things represent progress and potential for future grown.  Bill Moos seems to recognize this and is set to give-it-a-go.  

It will be interesting to see the details of his strategy and timing, when those things become apparent.

This would be easier to accept if....

1.   The lack of depth didn't very much have to do with Miles decision making and

2.   There were an actual abundance of injuries excessive to the average.

I don't think Moos has any long term hope for Miles, I do think he recognized we had a good year, and at least potentially, bring back quite a bit of talent.   I think he's willing to give him next year.   But IMO, I don't think Moos has made any long term decisions on Miles yet.

10 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

1. Lack of depth; and

2. Injuries.

Such things represent progress and potential for future grown.  Bill Moos seems to recognize this and is set to give-it-a-go.  

I'll give Miles credit for his successes but he is also responsible for his short comings. I think Moos realizes that Miles deserves a chance to see through this next season, because he has built something that could be special. Also could we stop with the "cheated out of a bid" talk. We were a bubble team with a bubble resume - some bubble teams get in, a lot don't.

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

1. Lack of depth; and

2. Injuries.

Agree.  Jack leaving hurts the heart because he's been a great teammate, but I don't see it as a bad sign regarding the influx of talent in the program.  I wish the talent attrition didn't happen to good kids, but that's a necessary lump a program has to take to get better.  Based on the results this year, the same could be said about Jacobson's (and to a WAY lesser extent, Morrow's) departure last season.  

If we get Palmer/Copeland back next year, I think this whole Tim Miles business is going to be a non-discussion for a long time to come.  

All comments on what Bill Moos is thinking about Tim Miles = complete speculation, nothing more.

And to the extent such speculation is toward the negative, it is contrary to what Bill Moos is saying.

In fact, Bill Moos is saying that “stability” in the head coaching position = the path to success.

Edited by Swan88

2 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I'll give Miles credit for his successes but he is also responsible for his short comings. I think Moos realizes that Miles deserves a chance to see through this next season, because he has built something that could be special. Also could we stop with the "cheated out of a bid" talk. We were a bubble team with a bubble resume - some bubble teams get in, a lot don't.

No.  Actually, we got screwed.  The "Big 10 sucks this year" snowball got rolling down the hill way too much, took on a life of its own, and was over the top.  Michigan is a final 4 team we beat by 20.   Penn State is a very talented team playing in the NIT final, and we beat them handily.  The Big 10 wasn't as bad as the conventional wisdom said it was.  Based on any semblance of selection history, we got jobbed. 

15 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Calvinism is making a resurgence. Or maybe I think that as a byproduct of the circles I run in are populated by a lot of Calvinist. Or maybe this is a pop culture reference that went over my head. 

I run in similar circles, uneblinstu. In Lincoln, by any chance? 

6 minutes ago, HB said:

No.  Actually, we got screwed.  The "Big 10 sucks this year" snowball got rolling down the hill way too much, took on a life of its own, and was over the top.  Michigan is a final 4 team we beat by 20.   Penn State is a very talented team playing in the NIT final, and we beat them handily.  The Big 10 wasn't as bad as the conventional wisdom said it was.  Based on any semblance of selection history, we got jobbed. 

We didn't play very many good teams according to the metrics.  And the good teams we did play we did not fair very well.  I think how our schedule played out vs other Big Ten teams hurt us more than anything.  It would have been very nice to have a couple more games at home vs the likes of Mich St/OSU/Purdue. 

6 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

We didn't play very many good teams according to the metrics.  And the good teams we did play we did not fair very well.  I think how our schedule played out vs other Big Ten teams hurt us more than anything.  It would have been very nice to have a couple more games at home vs the likes of Mich St/OSU/Purdue. 

It was a perfect storm.  The teams that ended up being good, we only played once (and only once at home).   Teams that were supposed to be weren't.  Some of that was just due to falling short of expectations (Northwestern and Iowa) and others were bad luck due to injuries/suspensions.  

The top 4 was like it normally is.   The problem is after that....teams 5-8 were extremely below par for from a Big 10 historical perspective.

Edited by nustudent