Rules changes?

jimmykc

Based upon our one game experience, what did everyone think about the rule changes? 1. Wider lanes- No opinion, refs didn't seem to notice or enforce it 2. Four quarters-didn't like it. Made game seem choppy.3. 20 seconds after offensive rebound-ok, shortened game slightly and didn't harm flow at all. 4. NBA three point line-should be incorporated. Old line was too short for college players

I like quarters, but the only official timeouts should be under 5 in each quarter. There are enough natural breaks at the end of each half to squeeze in more ads, if needed.

I like international rules, in general, which means the funky lanes wider near the baseline and narrower at the FT line.

And Iike the international distance from 3. It's a step between high school and NBA.

Off Rebound 20-second re-set. I agree. That's cool.

Quarters- Actually ended up with more breaks in the action than we did with halves.  If we go that route, only an under 5 TO.

Lanes- Didn't notice it too much.  Probably because of the refereeing.  They didn't notice the 3 second calls either.

3's- Yes, don't think that's a bad thing at all.

O Rebounds- Don't mind this either.

+ wider lanes- if enforced, as everyone else noted.

+quarters (without media timeouts)

+ longer three distance

+ 20 second reset

I'd like a few more added though: 

• I like FIBA's rule on goaltending. once the ball hits the rim it's in play, no "imaginary cylinder" more put back dunks and fastbreaks of balls tipped off rim (plus some of those garbage shots that bound around the whole rim would be swatted)
  • I saw a proposal to shorten games by having FT's be one shot from the line equal to the points of the fouled missed attempt. Why make someone take two shots? Would really penalize fouling on perimeter shots. I'd even propose making a successful 2 or  3 with a foul an automatic 3 or 4 pt play then we can keep the game moving.
  • Last and most favorite. Game clock continues during FTs but 10 second FT count enforced. At the end of games, the hack-a-thon would be gone, but teams couldn't burn 30 seconds at the stripe.

1 hour ago, hhcscott said:

+ wider lanes- if enforced, as everyone else noted.

+quarters (without media timeouts)

+ longer three distance

+ 20 second reset

I'd like a few more added though: 

• I like FIBA's rule on goaltending. once the ball hits the rim it's in play, no "imaginary cylinder" more put back dunks and fastbreaks of balls tipped off rim (plus some of those garbage shots that bound around the whole rim would be swatted)
  • I saw a proposal to shorten games by having FT's be one shot from the line equal to the points of the fouled missed attempt. Why make someone take two shots? Would really penalize fouling on perimeter shots. I'd even propose making a successful 2 or  3 with a foul an automatic 3 or 4 pt play then we can keep the game moving.
  • Last and most favorite. Game clock continues during FTs but 10 second FT count enforced. At the end of games, the hack-a-thon would be gone, but teams couldn't burn 30 seconds at the stripe.

I want this rule next year.  Don't really care about the other ones, one way or another.

I wasn't a huge fan of any of the changes.  Heck, MSU camped in the lane, and it was never called.  It wasn't called in-season either.  So I guess I like less camping space.  Quarters were okay, especially the foul rule...but I wouldn't change just for change sake.

1. I like the idea of quarters, but the 1-game we have experienced is not enough to know whether it actually makes the men's game better.

2. Wider lane & 20-second reset was really not noticeable to me.

3. The longer 3-point shot is a good addition, provided you have a team with shooters. (We need to be careful what we wish for here).

7 minutes ago, demone said:

1. I like the idea of quarters, but the 1-game we have experienced is not enough to know whether it actually makes the men's game better.

2. Wider lane & 20-second reset was really not noticeable to me.

3. The longer 3-point shot is a good addition, provided you have a team with shooters. (We need to be careful what we wish for here).

Maybe it would be good for us.  We threw up so many bricks in the past 4-5 years... move that three line back and half of those bricks (the long ones) become makes!  :D

11 hours ago, 49r said:

Of course that would fundamentally change the way the game is played. Not arguing for or against it, I’m just saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It would change game....in my opinion more offensive fouls should be called....often the offense initiated the contact and the refs bail them out with a blocking call.