What to do with Miles contract?

Moos is not going to give a 1 year extension. He'll either let him go or give him a 2-3 extension. Yes, I believe there is still a chance a coaching change could be made.

The information spicket that was open between the AD and the OWH/LJS has been closed so I would take any information from them with a grain of salt.

ESPN article from the AP

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Coach Tim Miles will be back for a seventh season at Nebraska and talks about a contract extension will begin after NCAA basketball's Final Four, athletic director Bill Moos said Tuesday.

Miles is 97-97 with one NCAA tournament appearance in six years. Moos, hired away from Washington State in October, said he liked what he saw this season as the Cornhuskers went 22-11 and finished tied with Final Four-bound Michigan for fourth place in the Big Ten.

"I've always considered him my coach and felt he had a pretty solid year and deserved to continue and to build the program," Moos said of Miles in an interview with The Associated Press.

The Huskers went into the 2017-18 campaign coming off three straight losing seasons and finishes of no higher than 11th in the Big Ten. Former athletic director Shawn Eichorst chose not to extend Miles' contract after each of the past two seasons.

Miles has two years left on a contract that will pay him $2.375 million in 2018-19.

"I really can't judge what he's done before I arrived," Moos said. "But I thought he did a real nice job this year. He brought in some talent and managed it very well. I really thought we improved during the course of the season, which is something I look for, especially when you have new players who are getting used to each other.

"And hey, we won 22 games -- 13 in the Big Ten and finished in fourth place when we were predicted to finish near the bottom. I didn't see any reason not to continue the course."

Nebraska beat Michigan by 20 points in Lincoln in January but lost by 19 to the Wolverines in the Big Ten tournament. The Huskers were 16-1 at home, with the only loss by 1 point to Kansas, which also is in the Final Four.  The NCAA selection committee didn't deem the Huskers' résumé strong enough for an at-large bid. They instead went to the NIT and lost at Mississippi State in the first round.  Nebraska is the only school from a power conference that has never won an NCAA tournament game, and the last time the Huskers claimed even a share of a regular-season conference title was in 1949-50.

The Huskers opened a new practice facility in 2011 and new arena in 2013.

"Really, all we're missing is the tradition, and you've got to start that at some time," Moos said. "Arizona wasn't Arizona before Lute Olson got there. Stanford wasn't Stanford before Mike Montgomery got there. So you've got to start somewhere. Usually, it's with stability, if someone is having success."  

Nebraska also announced Tuesday that guard James Palmer Jr. and forward Isaac Copeland Jr. will declare for the NBA draft but will not hire an agent, allowing them to maintain their college eligibility if they withdraw their names from consideration by May 30.

Palmer was the Big Ten's fifth-leading scorer, at 17.2 points per game, and a second-team all-conference pick. Copeland averaged 12.9 points and 6.1 rebounds.

There are some highly-telling, positive comments in that article favoring Miles, including:

“I've always considered him my coach and felt he had a pretty solid year and deserved to continue and to build the program.”

“I thought he did a real nice job this year. He brought in some talent and managed it very well. I really thought we improved during the course of the season, which is something I look for.”

"And hey, we won 22 games -- 13 in the Big Ten and finished in fourth place when we were predicted to finish near the bottom. I didn't see any reason not to continue the course."

“Really, all we're missing is the tradition . . . So you've got to start somewhere. Usually, it's with stability, if someone is having success."  

4 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Has anyone noticed that there haven't been any 'inside information' on Miles how many years Miles is going to be extended (if at all)?

Like I said the leaks that existed inside the AD's office during the previous administration have been closed.  Information will be made available when the AD wants to make it available. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

What a slap in the face.  Does no good for Miles or the team.  If you’re that unsure about Miles, it was time to cut the losses.  My goodness.  Moos is 1/2 on handling coaching situations now.

Yep, the old "how dumb does he think we are?"  

I wouldn't even bother filling the assistant position.   Unless Norm wants it for a year.   I assume Jamel White's uncle has moved on to other things.  

3 minutes ago, HB said:

Yep, the old "how dumb does he think we are?"  

I wouldn't even bother filling the assistant position.   Unless Norm wants it for a year.   I assume Jamel White's uncle has moved on to other things.  

My official view of next season has offcically decreased.  I think Palmer and Copeland probably both leave now.  Recruiting is done for the next 2 years worth of classes.  Just awfully handled on Moos part.

Just now, hskr4life said:

My official view of next season has offcically decreased.  I think Palmer and Copeland probably both leave now.  Recruiting is done for the next 2 years worth of classes.  Just awfully handled on Moos part.

Well, let's just hope that with a year to work on a replacement, Moos makes a killer hire.    

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

Why would Copeland/Palmer care about Miles contract situation? Both only have one year of eligibility left. 

3 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Why would Copeland/Palmer care about Miles contract situation? Both only have one year of eligibility left. 

I agree. This decision makes them no more ready for the NBA. They both had very successful seasons on thier own and compared to thier previous seasons. To me this shows they developed well under Miles. And if you are in the camp that believes they need more development to achieve thier goals I don't see how leaving now helps them achieve those goals. I concede this applies more so to Palmer than Copeland.

19 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Why would Palmer leave now and not before 

27 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

My fear is that they now see this as a dead man walking situation.  Those years never turn out very well regardless of what players coaches have.  If that’s the case, their stock might actually decrease.  I’d weigh that into my decision.  Hope you’re right though.