What to do with Miles contract?

4 minutes ago, Buglem said:

From a recruiting perspective, you aren't looking 

The contract term doesn't only impact one recruiting class. These coaches are building relationships over a longer period - Roby and others in our recent classes were being actively recruited as sophomores. If you even think Tim might be the guy, you should give the perception that you are "all in" so he can actively recruit and build relationships for the future. Not doing that hurts not only next year's class but also the next 2-3 years.

I've always been a Miles supporter but honestly am on the fence these days. I can see both sides of the argument. That said, if you're going to retain him, then at least give the appearance that you're "all in" so there's no further excuses to be made. I think that's the point Bahe's tweet was making.

I don't see it that way. The reason why is that if another coach were hired next year to replace Miles, that coach and his staff would bring their own cultivated relationships with them, just as Frost and his staff did. These relationships are portable. 

These same people that want to offer a 1 year extension and make Miles "prove" himself better not come back on here when we have a few bad recruiting classes the next two years and blame it on Miles if he would get a longer extension after next year.  Go all in, or get out.  Moos has his hands tied right now.  Tough spot to be in.

42 minutes ago, Shower Cap Husker said:

1 year (you) vs 3 year (me), so ya, we're disagreeing about 1 vs 3.  Your 1 year extension takes him to a total of 3 years while my 3 year extension takes him to a total of 5 years.  It's a 2 year difference, which is peanuts in the discussion.  So, to get this even straighter, you're only offering a 1-year deal to buy yourself (Moos) time to find a replacement.  It seems as though we're not going to change the others opinion, and I'm fine with that so no need to carry on regarding 1 (you) vs 3 (me).  

I'm thinking short and long term and I'm definitely not focused on one recruiting class.  I'm more than confident Moos isn't a fan of Miles.  An Athletic Director shouldn't need to buy himself  another year to sort anything out.  Moos has more momentum, on dang near all fronts, than any Athletic Director Nebraska has had not named Devaney, Byrne or Osborne. 

Why is it a terrible move?  It's a 2-year difference & less than $1M in buyout money.  We're not a thrift store athletic program that needs to cut corners.  Moos isn't going to be here in 10 years, his concern should be of the immediate future (5 years and less).  He can make a bad hire in basketball, all will be forgiven because of Frost, that's who he is tied to.  

I'm not sure you're even reading my responses, so I'll repeat what I've said - I prefer we moved on from Miles, but will accept he's returning.  

Sorry, I'm not deliberately trying to ignore your posts. I just didn't notice that you used the word "contract" instead of "extension," so, yes, we're talking about a two-year difference in contract duration. Sorry about that.

I believe there's a lot of sensitivity among the AD, Regents and top boosters about how many coaches we're paying right now. We're currently paying three different football HCs. I don't think it's thriftiness, but rather a sense of prudence and fiscal responsibility that's driving these decisions. They're not looking to hand out free money, but I believe they'll pay top dollar to land the right guy.

38 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

These same people that want to offer a 1 year extension and make Miles "prove" himself better not come back on here when we have a few bad recruiting classes the next two years and blame it on Miles if he would get a longer extension after next year.  Go all in, or get out.  Moos has his hands tied right now.  Tough spot to be in.

I continue to be baffled about why people believe there are only two viable scenarios here -- all in or all out on Miles. Again, I see three scenarios:

1) You believe Miles is the guy - Go all in and offer a major extension

2) You don't believe Miles is the guy and you have his replacement in the bag - Go all out, fire Miles and hire the new guy to a big contract worthy of his status in the profession

3) You don't believe Miles is the guy but you don't have your guy yet - Offer a small extension to buy time and be prepared to have recruiting affected for one year (but you'd better have your guy in the bag a year from now)

As I've said, I believe option #3 is the one Moos will choose, and I see his logic.

54 minutes ago, Hooper said:

I don't see it that way. The reason why is that if another coach were hired next year to replace Miles, that coach and his staff would bring their own cultivated relationships with them, just as Frost and his staff did. These relationships are portable. 

I agree on the portability. The problem in recruiting would be if Miles had a great year next year (won a game or two in the NCAA) and earned the right to stay. Then you've impacted his future recruiting classes and chosen to keep him, which isn't ideal.

BTW, I hate the corner the coaches/agents have backed the AD's into. By using the length of contract/job security as a negative recruiting tool, they've effectively increased their worth and the difficulty of getting rid of a coach. It's a fantastic win/win for coaches and agents. There's not many professions out there where people are on the hot seat with their boss but all the talk is about a contract extension and increased buyout. In the "real world" we wouldn't be talking contract extension at all because he still has 2 years on his contract. He's have two years to prove he's the guy and earn a nice fat contract with a big raise.

37 minutes ago, Hooper said:

I believe there's a lot of sensitivity among the AD, Regents and top boosters about how many coaches we're paying right now. We're currently paying three different football HCs. I don't think it's thriftiness, but rather a sense of prudence and fiscal responsibility that's driving these decisions. They're not looking to hand out free money, but I believe they'll pay top dollar to land the right guy.

I can see that except, @hhcdimes posted the buyout is $700,000.  I'd like to see the contract for more details but $700K is cheaper than his salary unless I'm missing something. Pelini is off the books a year from now anyways. 

I'm gonna hold off on further contract/extension discussion till it's public knowledge. 

Edited by Shower Cap Husker

42 minutes ago, Shower Cap Husker said:

I can see that except, @hhcdimes posted the buyout is $700,000.  I'd like to see the contract for more details but $700K is cheaper than his salary unless I'm missing something. Pelini is off the books a year from now anyways. 

I'm gonna hold off on further contract/extension discussion till it's public knowledge. 

I'm assuming the $700k buyout is for someone else to hire him, not for us to fire him.

9 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

See the source image

Actually, if you give him a full extension, and Copeland and Palmer do not come back, and you give Miles the ultimatum that he has to make the tournament, you've just wasted a bunch of money.  If he gets a full extension and they leave, depending on how they are replaced on the roster (by, for example, two pretty talented division one transfers that have to sit out next year), they might just ride it out with him for year eight.

Get it settled because Miles needs to recruit Copeland and Palmer both back to NU. I believe they both are graduates or will graduate.  We don’t need another Andrew White situation and I don’t ever want to see Rick Pitino and his white suit at PBA.

I think many people are getting hung up on the buyout numbers as having a huge impact on the decision-making process. I really don't think anyone in the athletic department cares. They're paying (at rough estimate) $14 MILLION for Bo, Shawn, and Mike to not work here anymore. What's another couple million on top of it?

2 hours ago, Hooper said:

I continue to be baffled about why people believe there are only two viable scenarios here -- all in or all out on Miles. Again, I see three scenarios:

1) You believe Miles is the guy - Go all in and offer a major extension

2) You don't believe Miles is the guy and you have his replacement in the bag - Go all out, fire Miles and hire the new guy to a big contract worthy of his status in the profession

3) You don't believe Miles is the guy but you don't have your guy yet - Offer a small extension to buy time and be prepared to have recruiting affected for one year (but you'd better have your guy in the bag a year from now)

As I've said, I believe option #3 is the one Moos will choose, and I see his logic.

Option #3 is the worst choice of all.  If you have not noticed, few kids have been talking Nebraska the last few years.  Miles was recruiting Roby, Morrow, and Watson their sophomore years and was in on Jacobson,Allen, and Nana their early junior years.  We are not hearing the buzz from sophomores and juniors like in previous years.  Evelyn, Smith, Horne, and Jordy were recruited and signed late in the process, and only Jordy has panned out from that group (assuming he stays).  Kids are going to see a program in flux and will cross Nebraska off their lists because of the uncertainty.  In one year, Nebraska could easily lose Watson, Palmer, Copeland, Roby, and Jordy which will likely comprise of 95% of next year's squad scoring.   It will only be worse if Nebraska has to replace its coach as well.  To maintain the program, this year is critical to recruiting, and Moos just gave all of the other schools ammunition for negative recruiting.

I could care less whether Moos took Option 1 or 2, but Option 3 gives the appearance Moos cannot make a decision.  

44 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Get it settled because Miles needs to recruit Copeland and Palmer both back to NU. I believe they both are graduates or will graduate.  We don’t need another Andrew White situation and I don’t ever want to see Rick Pitino and his white suit at PBA.

Palmer won't graduate until next December according to Washut.