What to do with Miles contract?

20 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Maybe Moos thinks Miles will reach out to other entities through intermediaries in the next week. Who knows......

The plan is to have Miles Munson us during the Final 4 to what... Save $4 mil and not have a coach lined up? Or we have a guy lined up but only if Miles up and leaves? Neither of these things seem plausible 

2 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

The plan is to have Miles Munson us during the Final 4 to what... Save $4 mil and not have a coach lined up? Or we have a guy lined up but only if Miles up and leaves? Neither of these things seem plausible 

Never said it was plausible. Just that there's a myriad of ways this could play out, one of which I laid out....

Guys, I read the article. Yes, I bought a subscription so I could read the 7 part Danny nee series. Miles and Moos have already met twice. They are set to meet two more times. When asked if Moos had reached out to Altman, Moos answered “no.” “I’m not looking for a coach,’’ said Moos, who already has had two meetings with current Husker head man Tim Miles and plans more next week to eventually discuss a contract extension.

First meeting with Miles was to get to know each other. Second was to discuss support staff, from the video guys to the trainers to everyone else. Moos said it was “premature” to discuss details of Miles extension, but they would discuss it in the upcoming meetings. 

“I never really got to spend any time with Tim, mostly out of respect for him and his season,’’ Moos said. “I wanted him to stay focused on what he was doing. I was sensitive to the run he was making.

“Tim is doing good things here. There wasn’t anything I was seeing that concerned me.’’ (And to squash another rumor, yes, Moos attended games.)

Moos said he sent Miles texts and emails of support throughout the season and kept Miles posted on communications Moos had with the NCAA selection committee.

“I was watching Amy Williams with the women and Tim with the men, and supporting them,’’ Moos said. “Both had very good seasons and pretty dramatic turnarounds.

“I felt good energy in the fan base and saw good play, so there are a lot of positives.’’

Those don’t sound like quotes from an AD who is using the final four, which he isn’t going to anyway, as a tinder...

So, whether you agree or disagree, I’d say Miles is getting an extension and will be our coach next year. Period. 

1 minute ago, Hooper said:

Moos is not obligated to share his true thought process with Lee B, the fans or anyone else not relevant to the situation. He is under no obligation whatsoever to be candid.

So far in his time as AD, he’s been the most candid person of anyone in the athletic department has been in a long time. And I believe he is being truthful with his quotes, an fully expect Miles to be our coach next year.

2 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

So far in his time as AD, he’s been the most candid person of anyone in the athletic department has been in a long time. And I believe he is being truthful with his quotes, an fully expect Miles to be our coach next year.

My guess is the length of the extension is more of the hold up. Seems like Moos has the leverage though with those talks.

14 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Moos is not obligated to share his true thought process with Lee B, the fans or anyone else not relevant to the situation. He is under no obligation whatsoever to be candid.

What? Everything you say in public is fact. ;) Or at least that's what we thought the selection committee was telling us, but it turns out their selection criteria had nothing to do with what they released earlier on to the public.

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

The fact that he's letting Miles go to the Final Four employed tells you that there isn't going to be a change

Most coaches go to the Final Four every single year to attend the National Association of Basketball Coaches convention and I don't think their job status determines if they go or not

On 3/25/2018 at 10:45 PM, Shower Cap Husker said:

Is that up-to-date? There was media speculation in 2015 that a new/updated contract was a possibility but I don't recall one ever made public. It's your article @swmckewon is there an update I've/we've missed? 

The last contract extension he got was in 2015, right around April/May. 

Then he didn't get after the 2016 or 2017 seasons. 

So right now his contract runs out March 31, 2020. 

"Standard" would be March 31, 2023.

That's in Lee's story: http://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/nebraska-a-d-bill-moos-squashes-dana-altman-rumors-talks/article_4a74e84e-0486-555d-9611-38ad5b07a9d3.html

Edited by swmckewon

26 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Perhaps not;  But anything less and he runs the risk of being thought of as another Shawn Eichorst!  It is 'only' his 'Credibility' that is at Stake! 

I think our biggest 'Secret Weapon' in this whole affair is:     :ph34r:  'Bill Moos'  - Any decision made regarding the coach for next year I'd much rather have a 'Bill Moos' making it than a 'Shawn Eichorst.'

1 hour ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Yes, in the realm of ADs, he's one of the most candid you'll find. That doesn't imply full candor in all matters, however. He's also human, not Vulcan, so...

FYI, I believe Miles will be our coach next year too. I just don't believe he'll get anywhere near the length of extension he wants. I say 1-2 years max.

Edited by Hooper

21 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Yes, in the realm of ADs, he's one of the most candid you'll find. That doesn't imply full candor in all matters, however. He's also human, not Vulcan, so...

FYI, I believe Miles will be our coach next year too. I just don't believe he'll get anywhere near the length of extension he wants. I say 1-2 years max.

I agree as well. Moos probably always has a short list  “just in case” and that’s probably prudent in today’s world of big time athletics. I’m guessing it’ll be for more than 1 year, but who knows? 

7 hours ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Most coaches go to the Final Four every single year to attend the National Association of Basketball Coaches convention and I don't think their job status determines if they go or not

No...but it's also a networking event for coaches and ADs.

If Moos was planning on firing Miles...it'd have been done by now.   MIles could use it to look for a new job, Moos could use it to look for a new coach.

Not to mention the recruiting angle.   Waiting 2 weeks (and then some) does nothing but limit recruiting time, so if there is player attrition, there is even less time to account for it.   And if Moos had 'his' guy....it'd also be done by now.

Well . . . there we have it!    

Tim Miles is staying.

All the speculation to the contrary is garbage.

Bill Moos has an agenda and a timing strategy . . . and none of us internet geniuses (yours truly included) has any idea what those might be.

But speculating is what we do here, so this is mine:

--Bill Moos has already said, (i) "astounding" FBI investigation information will be coming out soon, and (ii) there is no dirt in that investigation on Nebrasketball.

--Consequently, Bill Moos wants that information to get out and percolate around and then use Nebrasketball's "clean" status as a central feature in extending Miles's contract. 

[By the way, it's nice to see Bill Moos cultivating a relationship with Lee Barfknecht.]

14 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Ya I don’t think you understand what recruiting is about. It doesn’t really matter how smart the kid is, if everyone tells him that miles is on the chopping block and miles has no proof that he isn’t then that’s the definition of negative recruiting. That would hold no water if he gets a 2-5 year extension. No mater what miles has to win next year. Does he have to win 22 games again no but he’s gotta win and be in the conversation at the end of the year again 

I think you backed up what I posted.

Miles is on the hot seat next year and kids are going to be told that if coaches are using negative recruiting against Nebraska....it does not matter if he gets an extension, a losing record and he is gone(at least that is the perception)......Kids know that even if he has an extension, no matter what Miles Tells potential recruits.  Giving him an extension won't influence recruits unless Miles wins and gets back to the tourney next year.....

12 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I think you backed up what I posted.

Miles is on the hot seat next year and kids are going to be told that if coaches are using negative recruiting against Nebraska....it does not matter if he gets an extension, a losing record and he is gone(at least that is the perception)......Kids know that even if he has an extension, no matter what Miles Tells potential recruits.  Giving him an extension won't influence recruits unless Miles wins and gets back to the tourney next year.....

The extension cools the appearance of the hot seat though.   What if we win 20 games again next year but don't make the dance?   What happens then?   That's why the extension is important.   And this is coming from a guy who wanted him fired last year.   The extension at least shows you are open to keeping him and want him as your coach.   The lack of extension just shows that you are looking for a reason to fire him.   Even if you are, you don't show your hand.

For those saying anything about Altman as a potential replacement for Miles (whether it's Moos inquiring or what -- based on the Barfknecht article, that's apparently one of the rumors floating around) answer me this:

Altman has a 4-person recruiting class next year that consists of 2 Rivals 5-stars and 2 Rivals 4-stars.  Why would he come here if he can recruit like that out there?

18 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

For those saying anything about Altman as a potential replacement for Miles (whether it's Moos inquiring or what -- based on the Barfknecht article, that's apparently one of the rumors floating around) answer me this:

Altman has a 4-person recruiting class next year that consists of 2 Rivals 5-stars and 2 Rivals 4-stars.  Why would he come here if he can recruit like that out there?

I'd take him in a heartbeat...but this is part of the reason why I never bought the rumor.

The only reason would be because he wants to be close to him.   And if that was such a priority, don't understand why he ever left Creighton, or didn't hold off long enough until we fired Doc and expressed interest here then.

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

The extension cools the appearance of the hot seat though.   What if we win 20 games again next year but don't make the dance?   What happens then?   That's why the extension is important.   And this is coming from a guy who wanted him fired last year.   The extension at least shows you are open to keeping him and want him as your coach.   The lack of extension just shows that you are looking for a reason to fire him.   Even if you are, you don't show your hand.

To me it is not worth the 2 to 4 million that you put yourself on the hook for.

If I am AD, i tell Miles, tough....if you can't recruit without an extension, you definitely don't deserve an extension.

I'd heard the Altman rumor from somebody with ties to the department. He's been wrong before, so his batting avg. is now even lower. Unlike others, I think Altman would consider here. He's pretty insecure, based on some of the stuff he's said about how Creighton might not have wanted him back from Arkansas and similar comments. And I don't think he's as secure at Oregon as he'd like, based on the backlash from the sex offenders he's brought to campus. 

Doesn't matter now.

Edited by Chuck Taylor

8 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

To me it is not worth the 2 to 4 million that you put yourself on the hook for.

If I am AD, i tell Miles, tough....if you can't recruit without an extension, you definitely don't deserve an extension.

You wouldn’t be a very good AD then.   We’re the most success starved program in any major conference and you want to stack the deck further against him?   The AD is there to make it easier for coaches, not harder.   

No quality player wants to walk into a death trap.   1 year of no renewal is one thing.   3 years is another 

$2-$4 million, if it’s even that, through reduced buyouts, over a couple of years, doesn’t mean a lot in today’s big money works.   Especially considering the payoffs for having a successful year