What to do with Miles contract?

47 minutes ago, DOATHLON said:

This is very simple. By not extending Miles contract now and waiting until after the final four, Moos is giving him self time to pursue Musselman or Altman. The worst thing that happens during this time is Miles take a mid major job. After the final four you offer him a 2 year extension to try and help him keep his staff. Thats all you can do under the circumstances. If Miles has a great year in 2018-2019 he will get a bigger job or lateral job (Minnesota) and leave anyway or you give him another huge deal. 

I want absolutely no part of anything that even remotely has anything to do with Eric Musselman. Leave his happy ass in the dessert. 

4 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I disagree...i think you underestimate the intelligence of kids being recruited..

They all know Miles needs to win next year or he is toast, whether he has a 2 year extension, 5 year extension or a lifetime contract.

Coaches may use this against other coaches, but it isn't as big a factor as agents have convinced ADs it is.

That is absolutely false. Kids understand that a 4/5 yr contract shows that the school is committed to the coach. Rumors don't hold water when a coach can say they have a contract.

Just now, Ron Mexico said:

That is absolutely false. Kids understand that a 4/5 yr contract shows that the school is committed to the coach. Rumors don't hold water when a coach can say they have a contract.

Coaches get fired every year with 4 or 5 years left on their contracts....Kids know that.

Regardless of Miles getting an extension, we all know that a 13-19 record next year and Miles is gone....The kids know that too..

7 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

Coaches get fired every year with 4 or 5 years left on their contracts....Kids know that.

Regardless of Miles getting an extension, we all know that a 13-19 record next year and Miles is gone....The kids know that too..

13-19 is not the concern.   19-13 is.   Kids aren’t going to walk into a program whose coach’s head is already in the noose.    At least kids that have other options anyways.  

1 hour ago, Blindcheck said:

I disagree...i think you underestimate the intelligence of kids being recruited..

They all know Miles needs to win next year or he is toast, whether he has a 2 year extension, 5 year extension or a lifetime contract.

Coaches may use this against other coaches, but it isn't as big a factor as agents have convinced ADs it is.

Ya I don’t think you understand what recruiting is about. It doesn’t really matter how smart the kid is, if everyone tells him that miles is on the chopping block and miles has no proof that he isn’t then that’s the definition of negative recruiting. That would hold no water if he gets a 2-5 year extension. No mater what miles has to win next year. Does he have to win 22 games again no but he’s gotta win and be in the conversation at the end of the year again 

4 minutes ago, DOATHLON said:

Moos is headed out west during final four and "it's to premature to hash out an extension". That smoke tells me the fire is pretty hot. Basically, Moos is looking at tinder before he gets his girlfriend a promise ring. Since when does an AD "ponder" extending a sitting coach without checking out what's out there. 

rUSwypb.gif

6 minutes ago, DOATHLON said:

Moos is headed out west during final four and "it's to premature to hash out an extension". That smoke tells me the fire is pretty hot. Basically, Moos is looking at tinder before he gets his girlfriend a promise ring. Since when does an AD "ponder" extending a sitting coach without checking out what's out there. 

The fact that he's letting Miles go to the Final Four employed tells you that there isn't going to be a change

10 minutes ago, nustudent said:

The fact that he's letting Miles go to the Final Four employed tells you that there isn't going to be a change

Maybe, maybe not.  IMO, he doesn't care if Miles finds something else while down in SA.  Otherwise the extension would officially be agreed upon by both sides.  Instead, supposedly, Miles isn't happy with what's been offered (1-year) & is trying to get more (3 years). 

Not sure why Lee B seems salty in his tweet, curious if he asked more (detailed) questions or left it as is.  

12 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I guess I don't follow the logic. I'm sure many of us have taken business trips in the final weeks of our employment before.

The point being is that if Moos intended on firing MIles...it'd have been done by now...because this weekend would be his prime time to search and speak with people

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

The point being is that if Moos intended on firing MIles...it'd have been done by now...because this weekend would be his prime time to search and speak with people

Maybe Moos thinks Miles will reach out to other entities through intermediaries in the next week. Who knows......

Edited by AuroranHusker