What to do with Miles contract?

47 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Historically, Miles loses his best players with eligibility remaining at an alarming rate.  So I don't look at it as "keep Miles and keep players, or lose Miles and lose players."   Instead, I view it as "keep Miles and probably lose some good players, or lose Miles and also probably lose some good players."  Moot point based on Miles' track record.  I said the same thing last year and was told how wrong I was by other fans on this board.  Then we lost two starters with multiple years of eligibility remaining, even though we retained the coaching staff.  I just don't think Moos can make this decision based on the potential retention of players.

How about the fact that we went from tying the school record in losses with those players to setting a school record for conference wins.  Maybe they really were a cancer to the team, and the team does have more chemistry without those players.  

47 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Historically, Miles loses his best players with eligibility remaining at an alarming rate.  So I don't look at it as "keep Miles and keep players, or lose Miles and lose players."   Instead, I view it as "keep Miles and probably lose some good players, or lose Miles and also probably lose some good players."  Moot point based on Miles' track record.  I said the same thing last year and was told how wrong I was by other fans on this board.  Then we lost two starters with multiple years of eligibility remaining, even though we retained the coaching staff.  I just don't think Moos can make this decision based on the potential retention of players.

Like Pettaway in 14, Webster, Shields, & Watson? 

Our only “best” player we lost due to reasons like you say is White.

Here are some results from the 14 current Big Ten teams over the last six years (with Michigan and Penn State numbers incomplete as they are still playing).

Team NCAAs NCAA wins NITs NIT wins 20+ wins 22+ wins highest win total overall wins overall losses
Michigan State 6 11 0 0 6 5 30 162 56
Michigan 5 15 0 0 5 5 32 156 65
Wisconsin 5 13 0 0 5 5 36 153 65
Ohio State 4 5 1 1 5 4 29 141 67
Purdue 4 4 0 0 4 3 30 135 72
Maryland 3 3 1 3 4 4 28 140 66
Indiana 3 4 1 0 3 2 29 127 75
Iowa 3 2 2 5 4 3 25 122 83
Minnesota 2 1 1 5 3 2 25 111 91
Illinois 1 1 3 3 3 1 23 111 94
Northwestern 1 1 0 0 2 1 24 101 96
Nebraska 1 0 1 0 1 1 22 97 97
Penn State 0 0 1 3 1 1 24 99 102
Rutgers 0 0 0 0 0 0 15 74 121

12 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Here are some results from the 14 current Big Ten teams over the last six years (with Michigan and Penn State numbers incomplete as they are still playing).

Team NCAAs NCAA wins NITs NIT wins 20+ wins 22+ wins highest win total overall wins overall losses

That will leave a mark.....

15 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

I don't know how this is acceptable. :blink:

5 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Its not true - the guys twitter feed is sad. But curious why that would change your opinion on Moos?

Because a guy that comes in after one year, witnesses a coach have the second best record in school history and then fire him for a guy that was in the Northeast with him that would change the entire dynamic of the team. I don't want someone who has love feelings for creighton to come coach us. Don't need jv creighton fans in lincoln to start coming to husker games. 

15 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Because a guy that comes in after one year, witnesses a coach have the second best record in school history and then fire him for a guy that was in the Northeast with him that would change the entire dynamic of the team. I don't want someone who has love feelings for creighton to come coach us. Don't need jv creighton fans in lincoln to start coming to husker games. 

Northwest. And Altman is a great coach, final 4 coaches don’t grow on trees. Think it’s a weird attitude to get mad at an AD because you think they might try to upgrade to a super successful coach?

3 hours ago, northwillriseagain said:

Like Pettaway in 14, Webster, Shields, & Watson? 

Our only “best” player we lost due to reasons like you say is White.

Petteway, Pitchford, White, Jacobson, and Morrow were all key starters that left with eligibility on the table, just off the top of my head.  Not sure why you're listing Petteway to prove your point...he chose the D-League over coming back for his senior year.  Also not sure why everyone loves to discount MJ and Morrow.  We finished dead last in the conference this year in rebounding margin, largely due to losing the two of them.  They weren't exactly bench warmers.  

13 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

So if I am looking at that right than Miles made between 2.2-2.3 million dollars this year with the Bonuses??

Yeah I'm reading it as him making $200,000 in bonuses this year.

$75,000 for 20+ wins

$50,000 for a top 4 Big Ten finish

$75,000 for an NIT appearance

...on top of his $2,025,000 salary in 2017.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

For whoever is interested, have at it: http://dataomaha.com/documents/tim-miles-contract

Is that up-to-date? There was media speculation in 2015 that a new/updated contract was a possibility but I don't recall one ever made public. It's your article @swmckewon is there an update I've/we've missed? 

Edited by Shower Cap Husker

Miles deserves to come back. 22 wins, last two losses (that left a sour taste in our mouth) were against teams playing very well.

- Michigan could very well win the national championship

- Miss St is in the NIT semis and that game was on the road

Extend him.

41 minutes ago, khoock said:

Miles deserves to come back. 22 wins, last two losses (that left a sour taste in our mouth) were against teams playing very well.

- Michigan could very well win the national championship

- Miss St is in the NIT semis and that game was on the road

Extend him.

So extend him based off his losses? Don’t fire him because of those losses but also, please don’t extend a coach based off losses. If  Moos thinks he can do better he should pull the trigger.

11 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Herm thinks it’s a done deal!!!

A5A9E21D-0299-4500-97BB-58611229AEE1.png

Went way back to find the thread about when we thought Jordy was leaving and ole Herm tweeted that Jordy was transferring out long before anyone said anything about it.. So.. While he may seem like a troll, he is somewhat informed

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Petteway, Pitchford, White, Jacobson, and Morrow were all key starters that left with eligibility on the table, just off the top of my head.  Not sure why you're listing Petteway to prove your point...he chose the D-League over coming back for his senior year.  Also not sure why everyone loves to discount MJ and Morrow.  We finished dead last in the conference this year in rebounding margin, largely due to losing the two of them.  They weren't exactly bench warmers.  

IMO if MJ stays he is sitting next to Jack all season so my opinion is he left to not be a bench warmer. Morrow could have been helpful but he either starts on the bench behind Cope which would not set well with him or he keeps Roby out of the starting line up. Then there is the talk of being a locker room cancer. Call it sour grapes or hindsight, we were better off without both of them. 

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

So extend him based off his losses? Don’t fire him because of those losses but also, please don’t extend a coach based off losses. If  Moos thinks he can do better he should pull the trigger.

Not saying extend him based off of his losses. But those losses were clearly to teams that are/were playing very well.

Miles job was essentially on the line this season and he responded with 22 wins and a double bye in the BTT. Unless players truly cannot stand him, then there is no reason to fire him imo.

14 hours ago, aksarben said:

And if he makes this change who says these players won't move on from Nebraska? If the coach that brought me here is let go, unless they hire the second coming of John Wooden I don't feel like I'm obligated to stay I don't owe the Athletic Director or his new hire anything,  furthermore I'm not even sure if the Wooden example is reason enough to stay either.

Any new guy needs to be able to recruit even if we had a Pittsburgh situation

6 hours ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Went way back to find the thread about when we thought Jordy was leaving and ole Herm tweeted that Jordy was transferring out long before anyone said anything about it.. So.. While he may seem like a troll, he is somewhat informed

What did he say about Mangok? 

10 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Yeah I'm reading it as him making $200,000 in bonuses this year.

$75,000 for 20+ wins

$50,000 for a top 4 Big Ten finish

$75,000 for an NIT appearance

...on top of his $2,025,000 salary in 2017.

9 hours ago, Shower Cap Husker said:

Is that up-to-date? There was media speculation in 2015 that a new/updated contract was a possibility but I don't recall one ever made public. It's your article @swmckewon is there an update I've/we've missed? 

The contract is updated. The above bonuses aren't part of it anymore. His salary has increased. He made as much this year as he would have under his old contract plus bonuses

7 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

IMO if MJ stays he is sitting next to Jack all season so my opinion is he left to not be a bench warmer. Morrow could have been helpful but he either starts on the bench behind Cope which would not set well with him or he keeps Roby out of the starting line up. Then there is the talk of being a locker room cancer. Call it sour grapes or hindsight, we were better off without both of them. 

I disagree...I actually think it probably would have cemented Jordy leaving at semester as i think Jacobsen would have probably stayed ahead of Jordy (especially the way Jordy didn't really get much better as most of us were expecting)

Jacobsen always seemed to do the little things and was a very good rebounder, probably would have been an upgrade at the 5 for us this year and next (even if he didn't want to play the 5)

9 hours ago, NebrasketballJake said:

There seems to be a regent floating the rumor about Altman at 8 years / 30mil, so who knows who old Herman talks to.