What to do with Miles contract?

Just now, LK1 said:

But what standard are you basing that off of?  Miles inherited basically no roster and a team that was coming off a 12-18, 4-14 B1G season.  I think before you can be a perennial contender you have to be a level better than what came before you.  While Doc was more consistently mediocre, Miles has been working for this full of a roster his entire tenure at Nebraska, and had to take some lumps to get there.  I see WAY more significance to what I saw on the court this season than what I saw in 13-14.  We actually had a good team, not one that "got hot" or became a flash in the pan.  It was consistently good basketball with a roster full of good players--one that improves big time next year if we can have no attrition.  

I'm not saying fire him - I'm just playing devils advocate and saying I understand how after 6 years, we have not met some peoples expectations.

55 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Without attrition, next season is:

FR:  Xavier Johnson, Brady Heiman, Karrington Davis

SO:  Allen, Nana, Thor

JR:  Roby, Jordy 

SR:  Glynn, James, Cope, Jack

I mean... that's one hell of a recruiting job, and proves Miles has completely changed the culture of the standard Nebraska basketball athlete back to a 90s standard.  What he's done in the recruiting realm is beyond comprehension when you compare it to the horrifying rosters from Doc and Barry.  

I think the sour grapes of how the season ended are making us forget that we had basically no decent B1G opponent in PBA this season.  We beat the piss out of Michigan at home.  One of OSU, Purdue, or (less likely with matchups) MSU would've very likely been beaten soundly on our home court.  Then we're in the dance and the extension is consensus.  One missed KU three and the extension is consensus.  Is that really something to hang your hat and and fire the guy?

I admit I was one of the ones who said "NCAA or fire TM" this season based on the talent of the roster, but I'm changing my stance on that.  This team played well enough and was coached well enough to make the tournament.  They were dealt an awful hand.  There were no terrible losses (no, losing at Illinois wasn't a terrible loss, and made no difference to our NCAA dance status).  Our defensive philosophy improved immensely and we put a lot of high character kids on the court who played hard.  

Extend the dude's contract.  He can recruit AND coach talent.  He proved it this season.  

That's the problem Moos has if he extends him more than a couple of years.  With that roster next year, if they don't make the NCAA tournament (in year 7) how could you not fire him?

I don't know about proving he could coach talent this year.  Other than Michigan and Minnesota (the first time), I'm not sure we won any game that we shouldn't have.  Only loss 1 that we probably should have won though.  Will always remember after the @Wisconsin game, Miles saying the last 10 minutes he stopped calling plays and the let the players just play and they scored 31 points in the last ten, not exactly a ringing endorsement of his coaching prowess.

4 minutes ago, imnothipp said:

I could see Miles going back to Colorado State. Not saying it will happen, but I think it is possible. 

It would put NU in a huge bind. Really be a tough hire for Moos. 

Not at all.  He'll just go back to the Ernie Kent well once again.

I mean, y'all are delusional if you think it isn't either Tim Miles or Ernie Kent on the bench next year.  There are no other options with Moos in charge.

Moos is in a very difficult spot.  Shawn should have either extended or fired Miles last year.  Not it's more difficult coming off a 22 win season.  Obviously, you can fire Miles if you base it just on this season.  But if you look at his overall resume at NU, it is not good after 6 years.  Even the year we made the NCAA's, we didn't have a great year, we just rewarded for getting hot down the stretch.  Problem is Miles had a chance to capitalize on that success and he didn't.  Then we took huge steps backwards until this year.  If Miles is retained and we take a huge step backwards again, then he should be fired but that comes on the heels of extending his contract this year.  

I don't see Moos making any sudden decisions on this. First of all, any coach we'd want to go after is probably still playing.  And Moos might want to see what players are returning for next year before he decides what to do.  Either way, he is in a tough spot.

21 minutes ago, rahusker said:

Give Miles a bonus.

It's funny you mention this.

His contract extension upped his years and salary but took out the original bonuses he would have received for 20 wins, ending up in the top 4 of the B1G, and making the NIT.

41 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Moos is in a very difficult spot.  Shawn should have either extended or fired Miles last year.  Not it's more difficult coming off a 22 win season.  Obviously, you can fire Miles if you base it just on this season.  But if you look at his overall resume at NU, it is not good after 6 years.  Even the year we made the NCAA's, we didn't have a great year, we just rewarded for getting hot down the stretch.  Problem is Miles had a chance to capitalize on that success and he didn't.  Then we took huge steps backwards until this year.  If Miles is retained and we take a huge step backwards again, then he should be fired but that comes on the heels of extending his contract this year.  

I don't see Moos making any sudden decisions on this. First of all, any coach we'd want to go after is probably still playing.  And Moos might want to see what players are returning for next year before he decides what to do.  Either way, he is in a tough spot.

Not wanting to single you out, but I've seen this mentioned many places and finally decided to respond. So nothing personal. :D

But what exactly is a "great" season? Getting hot down the stretch and making the NCAA tournament isn't a great season? Sure as heck beats the alternative. And we've seen plenty of the alternative the past couple of decades.

This team did a lot of great things this season. Sure, I guess people could say it was accomplished against a weak schedule. But considering how few times we've won 22 games against weak, strong, and everything-in-between schedules in our history, I'd still call it a great season.

I know this: Both season were a lot of fun as a fan of a team that hasn't had much success in a couple of decades.

Yes, both seasons didn't finish on a great note. And there have been clunkers in between. I perfectly understand the frustration with the lack of sustained progress and transfers and losses vs the team in Omaha and failures in the postseason.

But if 22 wins doesn't result in him receiving an extension, probably to 4 years total as most coaches receive, I'd be shocked. And that's what should be done. Either give him an extension or fire him. It's the only thing that makes sense.

I have no idea what game the Ginger Assassin was trying to play last season. Either Miles is your guy and you extend him, or you fire him. His choice to leave Miles in limbo with no extension made no sense. Buyout money for coaches at NU barely puts a dent in the budget, so there was no reason to try to pinch pennies on this decision. Of course, the previous AD was pretty awful, so such an odd decision shouldn't be a surprise.

In part because of the games the previous AD played with him, it's far, far, far more likely Miles chooses to take matters into his own hands, cash in on a 22-win season, and find another job - and he could - versus Moos firing him. 

Edited by throwback

2 hours ago, bigred4 said:

That's the problem Moos has if he extends him more than a couple of years.  With that roster next year, if they don't make the NCAA tournament (in year 7) how could you not fire him?

I don't know about proving he could coach talent this year.  Other than Michigan and Minnesota (the first time), I'm not sure we won any game that we shouldn't have.  Only loss 1 that we probably should have won though.  Will always remember after the @Wisconsin game, Miles saying the last 10 minutes he stopped calling plays and the let the players just play and they scored 31 points in the last ten, not exactly a ringing endorsement of his coaching prowess.

To your first question, you could say that about any coach with a talented roster who doesn't make the tournament.  My point is that having a talented roster is BY FAR the most important part of running a successful basketball program.  A talented roster will almost guarantee you a perennial bubble spot.  Coach em up a little, and you make the tournament.  That beats the hell out of the alternative--sub par talent with good coaching gets you Doc Sadler 6-10 conference records every year.  You'll never get much past those numbers because those wins are a coaching/execution masterpiece.  The squad this year won a lot of important games with their B-game.  

I was looking for two things this year from a coaching perspective:  play the best players, and improve perimeter defense.  Miles did both of those things and racked up a ton of wins.  Last year's substitutions and perimeter defense were mindbogglingly bad.  I saw a huge step forward with consistency this season.  I was impressed with our gameplan and execution most games.  Also, getting out of the way of your players is the luxury of talent. 

Before bagging too much on Miles' staff and their ability to coach talent, imagine this staff with a KU roster.  Think they could go 27-7?  I bet they could.  Talent makes virtually any philosophy work to an extent.  

Edited by LK1

Sipple, Gabriel, Basnett had a podcast on it this morning. Covered a lot of the stuff we have been discussing:

-Will the roster stay intact - they think there is a good chance the roster stays. Only concern is Cope, 23y/o, degree in hand - could want to go get a paycheck.

-Does Tim deserve an extension? Yes he does. They think a two year contract to get him back to 4 years total is the likely extension.

-If they do make a change, who would be on that list? Same three names brought up by all of them: Matta, Crean, Altman (don't shoot the messenger dimes).

-They like Xavier Johnson, brought up a Casper juco 6'10 kid that can shoot - lost the name. Think the roster will be there next season to be successful.

-Again Tim has earned the right to coach this team next year.

-Next couple weeks should be interesting.

4 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

You’re completely right on recruiting he’s taken it to the next level. The problem with this argument is everyone has different expectations. Personally I would have set my expectations by the end of year 6 as: get Nebraska’s 1st NCAA win, go 3-3 against creighton, 2+ NCAA appearances. 

I would have expected this too HAD the two guys and really Nee is last couple classes, left the cupboard stocked like when Nee was winning many games.  Problem is, at a school with no history, sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better.  Heck look at the football program and it had history.

My opinion is based soley, 100% on who sticks around for next year. If we have another mass exodus of contributors I’m probably done. But if it just looks like seniors are gone and maybe one dude like Copeland (who’s an old man by cbb standards and I have to imagine has his degree close to being done), I’m all on board. But if Copeland, Palmer, and (god forbid) Roby leave - peace out. 

Freshman are tough. If Nana or Allen leave I’m gonna be super disappointed, but understanding and still on board. If Thorir leaves, or maybe someone like McVeigh... I’ll probablt forget by the next hour. Nothing against those guys... I just don’t see them as contributors. 

Edited by basketballjones